3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Question for you Elk Guys..  (Read 339 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Question for you Elk Guys..
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
In early prep for my planned elk hunt. Have the location, ordered topos. But then was thinking bout meat preservation.

I know what some of you guys are thinking..... See one then shoot one 1st.

My question is;
                  After quartering meat, pulling out tenderloins, Im reading that you would next put meat in cheese cloth bags and hang em. How long would the meat stay in that condition? Ill be hunting Co in Sept, so temps, from what Ive seen are 50 to 70+. I would def have to make more than 1 trip so that seems like at least a couple of hours sitting.

Any deer ive shot have always been on ice in 2hours. Between time if quartering and packing the elk ,that seems to be much longer.

Also, do most of you guys just use a external pack frame and pull the pack off to load meat out?

I know these questions may seem stupid but it would just kill me to shoot a nice elk then have the meat waste.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Question for you Elk Guys..
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
If promptly field dressed and hung in the shade, it should be good for a week if the temps stay under 60.  Bets are off if you exceed either of those limits.

It sounds like you will be much quicker in getting the elk cooled, so it should be good.
Lon Scott

Offline Charlie Schweikert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Dave - some thoughts...

Your questions are not stupid - great questions - something we all need to keep in mind.

On occaision, I've stopped hunting and hunted back closer to the truck when it suddenly occured to me "no way can I get an elk out of here without losing meat".  CO in early September can get into the 90's.  Something I always keep in mind is how to keep the meat relatively cool if I kill an elk.  I have always used my back to get my elk out so, yes, it can take a while.  I bone out the meat and put it in cotton bags NOT cheesecloth.  Flies will lay their eggs right through cheesecloth.  I have a bunch of cotton pillowcases I use.  I carry enough in my pack while hunting to bag up an elk.  Hang the bags in a low, shady place - along a creek would be great.  I hunt with a packframe with small pack attached so I can pack the first load out immediately.  Get that load to truck and on ice, strip pack frame down and head back to elk - repeat, repeat...

Enjoy your hunt - take care  -  Charlie

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Alot of this depends upon temps obviously but I think everyone will agree that cleaning and skinning quickly are the key. Openining up the larger areas (like the hip sockets and shoulder) if your only going to quarter to make sure they cool quickly is also key. I usually carry a large can of black pepper to spread over the quarters or the boned meet in the event flies become a problem. That trick works well for flies. Good luck and have fun.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Dave-

What Charlie said!!  Just remember that the most important step to getting that meat cooled off is getting the hide off the critter!  I once shot a spike bull (my first trad kill) about half hour befor dark.  I skinned it out to the base of the head and got the meat off one side and hung up in a tree in heavy duty game bags, the other side was skinned out but left on the carcass, was already quite late and had a substantial hike out.  The temps dropped to upper 30's or low 40's that night.  When I returned early the next morning and commenced the butchering I decided to skin up the head a little further just to see how much difference there was in meat temp (hide on vs. hide off) much to my amazement I only went up 1 inch and the meat was warm, I mean warm to the touch still!  So get that hide off at all cost, even if late in the evening, or night.

Good luck to you, and shoot strait!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
The neck is very thick and holds heat.  Get it boned out quickly also.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Colorado day time temps CAN be extremely warm the first half of September.  I am talking about 8,000 to 10,000 feet elevation.  The sun is REALLY hot, so shade is a requirement.  

I bone out the meat so I can carry fewer packs.  If I am camping with friends at the trail head we actually bring a smaller chest freezer and gas generator.  If not,  I had always brought heavy guage plastic bags, big ones.  I can always place the game bag of meat into the bag and submerge in the stream that is right there.  

I would NOT put warm meat into the plastic bags without the stream addition.  Hanging in the shade is good,  hanging them in the shade just off the moving water of a stream is even cooler.

I have no idea how long the meat is god for.  Too many variables.
ChuckC

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Yep, separate that neck from the rest as soon as possible.

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Dave,

I totally agree with the previous posts that getting the hide off is the number 1 priority.  On the first trip out we usually carry a front with the bone in and as much strap and scrap as we can get in our daypacks (in game bags).  I use to tie the rest on a frame pack boned out or bone in, but I really prefer to just bone it all out and drop it right in the bag on a frame pack.  For me it is simpler, puts the weight low, and balances better.  If you are going to hang the quarters in the shade and it is pretty warm, you can partially separate the muscle groups to help with circulation.  I would still keep them in bags to keep the fly exposure to a minimum.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I have to agree.I think it is one of the most pertinent questions ever asked on here.Everyone wants to know how to kill an elk,what broadhead,what bow weight-on and on.

When you get a huge game animal on the ground,it is a big job and a big responsiblity.I don't mean to scare you,though.It can be done and probably quicker than you think.The advice above should get you there.

Last Fall,I put a moose on the ground just at dark and had to cut it up by myself,in the dark.It was a little awkward but I got it done in about 2-3 hours.There were no trees close enough to tie off to so I had to get a leg on my shoulder in order to get under it when severing.Once 2 quarters and the head were removed,I was able to roll it to the other side.The long legs gave me enough leverage to do that.

I will add one bit of caution,put safety at the forefront of your thoughts.You will be working with razor sharp knives,under awkward conditions and positions and you will be far from help.You may be in a hurry or stressed.Slow down and pay attention to what you are doing.At no time take a knife stroke in the direction of any body part.It is easy to forget.Especially not your opposite hand,wrist and your inner thighs.

Accidents happen and they can be fatal.Razor sharp knives are important and you want a sharpener too.Just don't use them on yourself.

I like a sturdy frame pack but it doesn't have to be.I keep the frame pack and heavy duty game bags at the truck.If you have some sort of pack with you hunting,that you could get one quarter in,pack that back to the truck and the next trip in,take frame pack etc..Plan on about 5 trips for 4 quarters and head.A saw that will let you cut the antlers loose from the rest of the head will be worth it's weight in gold.

I know some young,tough guys that can bone out an elk and 2 guys can get it out in one trip.Those loads are over 100 lbs each,in rough terrain and usually at high elevation.Not many can do that and you may not be used to the terrain and altitude.

Elk hunting is a physical deal,traveling the country and packing the meat out.Get in shape for it and pace yourself.Also check game regs.There may be rules about leaving proof of sex attached etc that may change how you cut an animal up and what you leave or take.

It is a very responsible hunter that studies this issue well ahead of the hunt.I'm impressed.Good luck and take a lot of pictures.

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Dave,

Very good question.  Sure wish I would have asked the same thing before I learned a lesson the hard way on that very subject.  My buddy shot a bull about 4 in the afternoon in late August in CO. Being whitetail hunters from back east we assumed we should gut the elk and then hike back the 3 miles to the truck to line up horses for the next morning.  We even went as far as piling some limbs on the bull and some sweated up clothing to keep away bears until we returned.  When we got back to the trailhead to line up the horses we told the guy what we had done with the elk. He explained to us that an elk hide retains way more heat than a deer and that when we returned in the morning the elk would likely be spoiled.  Especially with all the stuff we piled on it as that would restrict air flow into the carcass.  So at 9pm we hiked back up the mountain to quarter and hang the bull.  Until we got back to the trailhead it was 3am.  

I now carry enough game bags and rope to finish the job on the spot.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Treat the game bags with citric acid. It works.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Our bowhunt for elk starts in august and getting an elk cooled off is very important and most times is a hard battle to do so. There is some great advise above on getting them skinned and hung. There are alot of old ways of keeping your meat cool once quartered up. If you harvest your elk in the evening you have a big advantage because of the night time temps. Some nights are still too warm and extra care is needed. One thing I do if possible is soak the quarters in a creek to get the base temp down them hang in canvas bags to dry out. The canvas bags can be soak also in water and will work like a swamp cooler through evaperation. That works good during the day time,even a water bottle poured over the canvas can do wonders. If you have ever used the old canvas water bags it is amazing how cold the water can be in them on a 100 degree day,it will freeze your teeth. Hang the quarters at night once cooled then you can store the quarters during the day in old sleeping bags in the shade if it gets too warm. Most times once cooled and hung overnight they can be kept for a week if watched. Another thing to do if the day time temps are warming up is to dig a 4x4x4 pit with a blanket over the top and store the quarters during the day. It is best to let the quarter hang at night to air out and so it will not mold. The pit will keep ice in a cooler for a week no problem,great for base camps. If the night time temps stay down and the days are cool you will not need to use pit or sleeping bags. I have seen 90 degree nights when elk hunting and somtimes its a race to town for ice and a big cooler. I know a guy who uses a power inverter on his truck and take a freezer big enough for quarters. The old saying of the work begins after the kill really applys to elk for sure,it always a battle. Don't shoot one if you can't get it out and cooled off by yourself,you can easly get to far back in. Maybe even consider having a pack guide(or friends) on speed dail if you plan on being in real remote country. Once we killed three elk in two days in warm weather and my buddy that had just got back for boot camp thought he was going too die. They were only 3 miles in,so be prepared. Good luck and I hope this helps some.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Here is some very good information on taking care of elk and statistics.

http://ces.uwyo.edu/PUBS/B594R.pdf  

Make sure to read the section on how long it takes to cool out meat.  If I recall correctly, at 38 degrees in a cooler, it took the skinned round temperature 15 hours to drop to 50 degrees.

"Make sure the internal temperature of the lean is cooled to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below within 24 hours. This will often require cooling facilities"

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Maybe plan on how you will get them out! I have a few buddies of whom im goin to CO with this year that live for that backcountry hunting where they never see another boot track, much less another hunter! They go back so far that they ran into a guy with horses, and he bout fell off his horse when they told em they walked in! They like to plan on taking the route back to the truck that involves the most available water sources! They quarter their game, cover, hang in shade, return to camp to get packframes, return to meat, debone, and begin their trek out! When they reach a stream they cache the game bags in a light plastic covering and place in the water! The mountain stream water will delay any spoilage as it cools the meat well! The bags are very lightweight, and usually stay at camp until their needed! As far as flys go, lemon juice/water mix works, as does pepper, or you could try a new product thats out there that is a spray bottle type device that you add water to and spray meat with to deter flys! Its safe for the meat apparently, id probably just spray the outside of the game bags!!!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I agree with an earlier post.  I once let a 6 X 7 bull elk walk because I was on foot 8 miles in with no help.  I had him dead to rights and just let him go.  I shot a spike 400 yards from the truck when I was hiking back just before dark.  It was early season and the temp was close to 90.  No way would I have gotten more than one quarter out in good condition.  That is still one of the biggest bulls I have ever been close to and it hurt to let him go.  That spike sure ate good though.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Like everyone has said, the quarters of an elk will hold a lot of heat and it is important to get them cooled as quickly as possible. Immediately after the kill and the pictures have been taken the real work begins. I always carry a saw and a hatchet in my pack to be able to quarter the animal once I have cleaned it out. Upon the completion of quartering the animal, cut branches and and lay the quarters on the branches. This helps the air to circulate and begin the cooling process.

Another thing that we do is put the quarters in game bags and throw them in a creek that runs next to our camp. It has the same affect as putting your animal on ice. Some may wonder if it taints the meat, but we have had excellent results.

One more bit of advice upon the cleaning out of your animal. When bulls are rutting strong they urinate all over their stomach. The hide that is tainted is dark, almost black. Be sure to cut this hide away and toss it aside. That way you wont get it on your hands and taint the meat.

Best of luck, but be aware that elk are addicting!
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
And watch for the bears!  We have more problems with bears then heat!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Absolutely great advice here. One thing I would emphasize is dealing with the flies. On my first elk I boned it and placed in Alaska game bags. We took what we could carry but by the time we got back for the second load a few hpurs later the bags were covered with fly eggs.

I now carry white vinegar and a small spray bottle with me at all times. I think I am going to try soaking the bags in citric acid as someone suggested earlier - that sounds like it should work great. Whatever you do, plan ahead and have everything you need with you at all times. Be prepared to deal with a dead elk immediately without having to go back to the truck for what you need. Heat is one issue, and flies and/or bees are the other. Be prepared for both and you will enjoy some of the finest eating of any wild game!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by gehrke145:
And watch for the bears!  We have more problems with bears then heat!
Thanks for all the great info guys..... As far as the above mentioned... Is it legal to carry a firearm back up in archery season?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©