3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OUCH!!! Need help please.  (Read 275 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
OUCH!!! Need help please.
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
No matter what I do with nock-point, the feathers on my arrows nick the top of my index finger on my bow hand. The arrows fly very well (AD Trads with four 5" parabolic right-wing feathers). I lived with it through scratches, which turned into a blister, which now is an open sore. Any more and I'll dig into my bone! I just can't figure out how to get rid of the problem...

Switch to three feathers? Try lower profile banana cut feathers? Live with it and use a glove?

:help:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OUCH!!! Need help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
If you are right handed, try switching to left wing feather.  BTW, four 5" feathers seem a bit excessive...so try three.  

Lately, I have been experimenting with using only two 5" feathers on my stumping arrows and am happy with the results.
Lon Scott

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I'm sure you have already rotated the nocks to see if that works. Then what I would try next if you like four fletches is go to 4" feathers, they aren't as deep as the 5". If that doesn't work try three 5".
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I had similar issues when shooting RW feathers; I'm a RH shooter.  Couple of things you can try:  clock your nock so the quill is moved away from your finger and make sure the front of the quills are well tapered to the shaft and spotted with glue.  

If you are a RH shooter, consider switching over to LW feathers.  3 fletch shot with the cock feather in or fletched at 12 o'clock are other options.  You're not alone, so let us all know what finally works for you.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I shot one bow that b/c of how the shelf and grip were it'd put my finger and hand right at or slightly above the shelf and there'd be feather contact regardless.  I built the shelf up and solved the problem.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Thanks folks. I'll try the three feathers with lower profile (4") and see if that works. I messed up when I bought my feather jig and got a right wing clamp. Now, after buying feathers and right bevel broadheads, I'd hate to reinvest in lefties...

How about an elevated rest? I like to be as traditional as possible but considering the bow is made with bow glass and the arrows are carbon, I suppose there's not much point in holding out on a rest if it will help. Any thoughts on the rest?
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I have had that happen when I grip a little high on my bow.you only need to lower your hand on the grip about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.You can use masking tape(wrap a thin strip 1/8 from the shelf around a couple of times)to give you an indicator for your hand and after a while you can remove it.It will help train your hand for a lower grip on the bow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
I had that problem when I went back to trad a few years ago.   I started wearing a golf glove on my bow hand, which protected my hand.   I went to LW feather, and have been fine.  I have shot cock feather up, out and in with good results with LW feathers.  5 1/2 to 4 inch feathers.   I tried an arrow with RW a few months ago, and nicked my hand again.   For me, LW works (I am righthanded).
Mel Riley

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
I'm a right handed shooter and I shoot left wing, left helical for that very reason. Anything that you can do to change where that leading point of the quill lands will help. And no. I don't see anything wrong with an elevated rest outside of the fact that they are a little more troublesome in a quick follow up shot.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
This happens to me if the spine is on the stiffer side. Either a heavier tip or build the side plate out has worked for me.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Right handed shooters should shoot lw fletch for that very reason. I tried rw once and that happened to me also so went back to lw.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
...and don't forget a drop of glue on the front end of the quill.  ;)
Lon Scott

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Ive noticed some brands of feathers have a thicker quill left on them than others.Maby either sand or buy feathers with less quill surface.It may not fix your problem but couldent hurt any thing if your going to try new feathers any way.I dont know just a thought.Correct me if im wrong fellas but i think gateway's have quiet a bit of qill left on them.im thinking that truflight has less quill left on them.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
I was using an elevated rest when I was fifteen. That was almost forty years ago. Is that traditional?   :saywhat:

Killdeer   ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Im shooting RW fletching and im right handed, its never happend to me. Is it possible that the arrows are little stiff? Anyway that would be my first guess.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Most above are treating the symptom instead of the desease.

There's no rocket science here:

Trim the front of the feather base to slant down to nothing at the shaft. Put a drop of glue there and you will never be cut again. Only need to do this to the feather below the cock feather.

I have been doing this since I made my first arrows a dozen years ago and have NEVER BEEN CUT SINCE and I shoot a self bow with no shelf. My hand is the shelf.

All those other "cures" are unnecessary. You could put the feathers on backward and not get cut if you prepare the forward end of the quill this way.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
disease. Oh for an edit feature!
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
4" 4-fletch, low profile banana, 75x105.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Try shooting cock feather in.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Jim, there is an edit feature. Makes me look smarter than I am.

Killdeer   ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©