3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suits or leafy wear?  (Read 615 times)

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suits or leafy wear?
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
What are anybody's thoughts on using ghillie suits or leafy wear for hunting (deer, varmints, turkey)?  Any brands to look at or stay away from?

I hunt alone usually and don't like tree stands and it's a good hike (for this old man) to the area I hunt.  I like to stay some what flexible and move around some.  I do have a ground blind, but don't use it much.

Thanks,
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suits or leafy wear?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
I've only had experience with Rancho Safari's Ghillie suit, but find it to be a wonderful addition to my bag of tricks.

You can just about disappear in the darn thing... Heck! You can disappear.    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
I have both. The Ghillie is much better than the leafy by far on the ground. The leafy is good if you are turkey hunting with a shot gun but the Ghillie you can get by with slow movement and deer and turkey will get right in your lap. Just trim the bow arm and you will love it. Good luck
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Ditto what carphunter said!!!!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
I also have both, have you found the ghillie to be that much better than the leafy hunting on the ground??  I've been turkeying hunting (bow)with the leafy just because I can put it on at the truck, the ghillie tends to snag on every briar in the woods.  Really did like the ghillie last year deer hunting...just put it on when I get to where I'm going.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Anyone discovered a light early season ghillie?  I'd like something light and airy that I can use early bow season and then put over layers later on.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I have the cotton one from rancho safari, it's not too bad, but still hotter than just a leafy suit.  I just wore a tee shirt under it for the first half of the season.  I'm interested to see if other folks ..with actual experiance...think the ghillie really outshines a leafy suit on the ground.  Last year was my first year using the ghillie.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Ghillie suit definately although I do use leafy pants and a ghillie jacket.  Awesome is the only word I can think of.

I had a gobbler on opening day at ten yards with basically nothing but a fallen tree behind me. I was sitting up against the root wad on a stool in the middle of a field on public land, and never knew I was there.  Unfortunately I muffed the shot.

Deer season had deer close all the time with the same results. Except I killed the ones I shot at.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Anyone know about the one that Cabela's sells for $99?  It is a leafy jacket and pants and hood and gloves.  It appears to be a light weight netting with the leaves. Looks like a good warm weather camo....?

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll start looking for a ghillie suit.

Snag1: The Cabels's leafy jacket may be something to look at as it is also warm here during the early part of deer season.  I'll be at the Cabela's in Texas in a couple of weeks and will look at them.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Ghillies= I have done very well with a ghillie suit deer hunting and had a jake and a hen @ 8 yds last weekend... the hen busted me raising up the 870 ( newbie turkey hunter.)

They are hot though... When its hot, I carry mine straped to my pack, spray down when I settle in... and put it on... I usually use just the boonie hat and top (the strings and strips come below mid thigh...)

They are cheap to make $$30-40.. not counting the bdus (use old ones) But for hunting on the ground... Nuthin better for getting away with movement...

Ghillie Directions   Click here to get directions... This is what I used... I and sure that utilizing nylon strip or leaves would lighten it up some as would synthetic jute if someone knows a source...

Its not a purfect system... but for ambush, it works GREAT!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©