3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many teach Bow Ed?  (Read 367 times)

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
How many teach Bow Ed?
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to do a class locally for Montana FWP and was curious how many of us TradGangers are bowhunter education instructors?

I take a little pride in the fact that I have to borrow a compound to teach the class. It's something I look forward to every year and I ALWAYS make my equiupment available for those who have not yet purchased a bow - it's not too late! Unbeknownst to the kids in the class, some of them have shot some of the finest bows on the planet.

And if you haven't spent any time teaching bowhunter education, you really should. It's a lot of fun and it really helps you promote the sport and ensure that your students get started right.
Is it September yet?!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many teach Bow Ed?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I do
ChuckC

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I do, or did. I have not given a class in a couple of years and just moved to another state. I need to get going with it again.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I did for 10-12 years. Stopped last fall because of some issues I have with the state of New York. But I will say it was good learning experience and I don't regret it at all. Not to pat myself on the back but I was pretty good at it and had lots of comments on the classes I helped teach.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I went through my bowhunter ed class last August with a bunch of guys who were going through instructor training..
I was asked to be an instructor.  When I get the call I will gladly become one...  I was really impressed with the class.  Even after 25 years I learned good info in the class..

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I do and really love to teach the class. Its not required here in IL but I get alot of people who go out of state to hunt. Matter of fact, the other two guys that teach with me are trad guys who got me hooked back into trad again. I have learned alot in the class and teaching it too. I look foward to every class I teach.
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Been teaching for a while now, but probably not much longer.  Depersonalization of classes by the ONLINE crap.  Don't like only seeing students for 2 hours before you certify them, and mimiking the info that F&G wants them to learn.  Like little robots.  It's no wonder newbies don't know what the heck a recurve is, spine of an arrow, how to tune etc.  Rant rant rant................

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I do personal instruction these days. I have taught with 4-H shooting sports in the past. I'll take what I'm doing now over a class full of kids.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I taught it for several years. After the class we had suggestions handed in. Funny thing was the most requested reply was to discuss compound use more. The only problem was all of the instructors were not familiar with compound issues.
PBS  Member

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I do.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I just gave a class last week. If the classes that I teach influence one person to "Do the right thing" the ethical thing or prevents one serious injury/death then it is all worth it. I can sleep better at night knowing that I have  given back to bowhunting and shared my passion for it with others.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I've been an instructor here in Texas for the last 5 years.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I've been one here in Texas, stopped a few years ago.  Its a good thing - may do it again.  H

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I sent sent my application to become an instructor
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
oops make that just sent  lol
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I have taught for many years.  With the changes in the NWR rules and the reduced numbers attending, I am not sure I will continue every year.  I am in a rural area.  It might be an every other year thing to keep my certification active.

I add a section on orienting.  Most don't have a clue how to use a compass, much less a compass and map.  Most all of my students are extremely appreciative.  They mainly use GPS's.  

Stone Sheep is dead on.  Image and ethics is what it is about. When they walk in and see all of the handmade traditional 2 fletch arrows and back quivers, the questions start and the interest stays at a high level. I use the platform to introduce many archers to our State organization, the Bayou State Bowhunters.  

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
I taught the IBEP course in the late 70s, 80s, and 90s, if memory serves.  I was originally certified by IBEF founder Bill Wadsworth at Land Bewtween the Lakes.  We certified hundreds of youngsters during my years in the KY public schools.
Gary Logsdon

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I've been an instructor here in Maryland for 7 years. We tried the online course for 2 years (over the objections of most instructors)and it didn't work. Now we are back to the old way. Unfortuneately the course is not mandatory in our state so our turnouts are not great. I still love teaching the course and agree that I usually learn something with every class since most of our students are experienced bowhunters.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I've taught since '03. The group I teach with is a good mix of trad guys and a couple of techie boys to tell the kids how that new fangled stuff works! The lead instructor is a trad guy and he and I do most of the teaching so the kids get a healthy dose of the old way and I also make my equipment available for the class to use. Just about everyone in the class want to shoot the traditional stuff so I know we're getting through to a few of them!
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I did also for a number of years, but stopped because my concerns about the NY DEC's policies dovetailed with a new, more demanding career for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©