3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Longbows for longer range shooting?  (Read 668 times)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
What Longbows for longer range shooting?
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm looking at my next bow being a longbow that's optimized for longer range shots where limb clearance is not an issue, such as spot and stalk hunting or treestands where there's enough room for a long bow and longer shots are more likely. The bow would be between 66-68".
I'm not asking which bow is best, just looking for opinions on what bows I should look at that would be useful in these types of situations. I was thinking something with a long riser.
I've been looking at the 21st Century bows, as well as Big River. I would like to consider the Fox Triple Crown as an option, but they're out of my price range. Was wondering about a Mohawk, but thought that may be the same kind of situation I was in with my Northern Mist where it was a bow that shot really well, but that I really wouldn't find advantageous in different hunting situations than my 64" D/R longbow.
I would prefer it to string up to a "D" but that's not essential.
Any opinions on bows to look at would be much appreciated!
Craig

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: What Longbows for longer range shooting?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
do add mohawk to your consideration list.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I was thinking that a 68" Mohawk might do well for this type of thing Rob...what length riser do they have?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
A 66" Mahaska, I have 2 one46#@28 the other 54#, both are smooth and cast an arrow well. I also have a 66" Mikuta R/D @45# that really spits an arrow. Of course you can always go with a Hill 66"-72". Lots of bows out there that will fill your needs. You should shoot as many as you can and then decide.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arrow4Christ:
I was thinking that a 68" Mohawk might do well for this type of thing Rob...what length riser do they have?
i don't know what the riser/limb geometry will be, vince is working it all out now.  mine is the first mohawk classic he's building, a kinda prototype with trapped actionboo cores/veneers, solid cocobolo riser and all overlays, black glass for back and belly, laced leather locator grip, fullerplast matte finish.  strictly a ground hunting longbow.  if it works for me, as i expect it will, there'll be another twin in the making but it'll be a t/d for flyout hunts.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Seven Lakes makes a very smooth 66 inch longbow. I sold mine and got a Mohawk and wish I had it back.

Ask Mike to trap the limbs toward the back, A bows powerstroke comes from the compression (belly) side. Reducing mass weight is very effective toward the back.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
There are a lot of guys around here building some mighty fine selfbows. Sounds to me like that would do the trick for you. Get a piece of Hickory or Osage and turn'em loose on it. Or better yet, learn how yourself.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Magwa45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
If you've seen Howard Hill make those 100 yard shots, you know you need to get one of those Hill longbows. Just work on your split-vision shooting and get your gap down. Distance estimation is also key or you can get a range finder.
Don in MD

KIMSHA Archery "Mattawoman II" Longbow
Jet Archery "Jaguar" Longbow
Howard Hill Archery "Tembo" Longbow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Magwa45:
If you've seen Howard Hill make those 100 yard shots, you know you need to get one of those Hill longbows. Just work on your split-vision shooting and get your gap down. Distance estimation is also key or you can get a range finder.
magwa45, i sure hope you were joking with yer post.

trad bowhunters need to get SERIOUS about their shooting abilities and shot distances at game.  ain't no one in their right mind should be taking 100 yard shots let alone half that distance with a stickbow ... unless they're THAT GOOD.  

as to mr. hill and his long range kills, who knows how many critters he wounded or flat out missed.  howard was good, but he was human and therefore not THAT good.

limit yer shots on game to the distances you have a high confidence in hitting the spot.  the rest, let walk.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Should've mentioned, I'm interested in something with at least some D/R unstrung for extra performance. I like the idea of a long Mohawk or a 21st Century, tough decision. keep the ideas coming!

craig

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Yep, get a Mohawk if you want a smooth shooting and hard hitting longbow. Quality is exceptional also.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
since yer asking for opinions ...

besides a nice 21st century nova, i've owned and extensively shot a pair of 21st edge longbows.  the edge is an aggressive 'stealth' r/d longbow that has a braced 'D' limb shape.  a fast longbow that's won world ifaa championships (why the 'ringer' edge longbow is allowed in ifaa shoots is another matter).  the reason i got rid of the edge bows is that the limbs were like rubber band noodles when braced, and would 'collapse' too easily, or the string would pop off the tips.  there are a few other folks making these kinda 'stealth' longbows and the limbs all exhibit that same kinda funky limb action when braced.  i couldn't deal with that, so they all got sold.  

a mohawk isn't as fast or hi-performance as an edge because it's a mild r/d limb design, which imo yields more 'stability' during release and follow through.  yeah, i'm biased towards 'hawks.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
There we go Rob! That's the kind of opinions I'm lookin for  :)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I hit the milk bottle at 80 metres the other week with my 70", 78# Howard Hill Wesley Special.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
I hit the milk bottle at 80 metres the other week with my 70", 78# Howard Hill Wesley Special.
ben, did ya need to buy a milk bottle hunting tag?   :D

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Were you aiming at the milk bottle?
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline hheneg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
The road frontage on my property is 340 feet.  I set my 24 inch square bag target at one end the other day and walked to the other end.  Shot 6 arrows, hit it twice and the other 4 were walking in short.  If I wasn't too lazy to practice that range, I believe I could hit it pretty consistantly, and I'm far from a good shooter.  Either one of those two that hit would have killed a deer. The others would have run him off.  I wouldn't shoot at anything I wanted to kill at that distance.  But I wouldn't judge someone else who thought they could make the shot that did.  Doing so makes you sound kind of pompous and judgemental, at least to me.
It is not our successes, but rather the way we handle loss, disappointment, and the struggles inherent to life that defines our character.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
The most forgiving and accurate longbow that I have ever shot was a 68" 51 lb. slight r/d reverse handle bamboo custom made by Mike Ballenger.  It had the belly side wider at the ends than the back, no shock, no vibration, and very tolerant of arrow spine, it shot pretty quick as well.  I gave it to a friend who has since been very successful with it.  I bought it from a nearby archer used and I have never seen another one like it, but it is a great bow.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
for almost all, if not all trad bowhunters, 'long range' (whatever the distance is that you can't at least group arras on a pie plate) is just fun stuff but hasn't a thing to do with hunting.     :readit:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©