3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string silencers ... how many ??  (Read 199 times)

Offline sentinel

• Trad Bowhunter
string silencers ... how many ??
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:00 AM »
I'm setting up my new PCH and the bow string was suppose to come with four rubber spider silencers but instead came with a pair of Wooly Whispers (I already have another pair of the Wooly Whispers). The owners manual says to use the four spider silencers set at specified locations. Is there a noticable increase in the effectivness of quieting a string when two pairs of silencers are used instead of just one pair ?? How would the use of two pair of silencers affect the performance of the bow??
Thanks.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string silencers ... how many ??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
First thing I would do with any Widow is get a new string with padded loops. That will help more with the string noise. It's bow design and string slap that makes the noise. If there is less then you won't need as many silencers. Pad the loops to 16 and see how you like it. String silencers are a band aid for a problem...eliminate the problem.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
On a Widow SAV I had it was very quiet with Bow Hush and a pair of whoolie wisps on a padded loop D97 string.I would get comments on how quiet it was.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Sometimes I use four, and sometimes I can get along with two.
When using four; I measure the string length between where it contacts the limbs when it is strung.  I then cut the distance in quarters, and put a pair one quarter of the distance from each end. I then put a pair one third the distance from each end.  This seems to hit the noise at the harmonic distances.
Ken Thornhill

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
How many? As few as possible, imho.

With a recurve, it is far more important to me to minimize the string slap where the string contacts the limb. Wind bowhush on the string where it contacts there, one small set of hushpuppies at the 1/3 or 1/4 (my preferred) points on the string. If you need more than that, I suspect you need to fiddle with brace height and arrow tune.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Four rubber string silencers will more than likely rob lots of energy from your bow that would otherwise go into the arrow. If you want to see how much, bare-shaft tune with and without the silencers. You might be amazed. The worst case in my experience was a fellow who had put several sets of rubber spiders on his string, and when we removed them his spine went up more than 20#. The bow was very quiet, but he could have been shooting 20# less draw weight and gotten the same performance! I use only lightweight silencers, as close to the tips as possible. The closer to the center of the string they are, the more effect the weight has on the performance of the bow.

As KentuckyTJ pointed out, there are better ways to quieten a bow than heaping on string silencers.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I agree with JC. Go with the Bowhush on string ends and split one Hush Puppy at 1/3 or 1/4 locations and that might be all you need.

Offline jamed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
4 for me.  A pair of Hush Pups cut in half and placed at the 1/4 and 1/3.  Bow Hush on the ends.  Best combo I've found!

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
The woolie whispers that were shipped with the bow work fine. Split one set of whispers into four and place these at 1/4 and 1/3 points on the string. This will cover the two highest harmonic points without putting a lot of weight on the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©