3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bad News Bow Shipping  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bad News Bow Shipping
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Yep, the bows that go on a journey from my home are wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a schedule 40 pvc tube. Both ends of the tube are stuffed with bubble wrap or cloth to absorb shock and the ends of the tube are sealed with plywood end caps cut to fit and screwed into the ends of the tube.

This setup cost a little more but the reassurance it gives me is worth it.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
You would cringe if you could see how parcels are sorted in the PO. They are taken from the big carriers and thrown into the hampers of the individual routes. This can be 15-20 feet away. No guarantee that the next parcel in after yours won't be a box of textbooks or grapefruit.

I kinda like that bubble-wrapped one. I can see right off what it is and know that it is fragile. In a box, who knows? Most times, all is well. These breakages are a rarity. I typically ship in cardboard and tons of bubble wrap, and tape all the seams to the point of being obsessive.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I think DesertDude posted pics awhile back of how he ships bows... a nice wooden box that looks like it could survive the roughest abuse.  Perhaps he will post some pics...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
My Shrew went from Ron Laclair's Shoppe to Shangai before arriving to France, the PO didn't sorted the bow well. The cardboard was totally tear off, but luckily my shrew was OK.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
PVC is fine for a few bows a year, could you imagine the cost a big bowyer would have if he shipped 100's of bows a year in PVC, I use a 4x4 telescopic box with bubble wrap and with over 500 bows shipped by usps I had 2 tips bust out of the box (with no damage) and one broken one. That one was paid within a couple weeks by USPS.
I used UPS before USPS, now they are hard on bows! It sucks when it happens, lucky for us it doesnt happen to often.

That picture is funny Bjorn, I once had a guy send me a bow he bought used for a refinish, he wrapped it in tyvek! It made it ok, but I told him he probably shouldnt do that anymore.

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Scary! I have a bow in-transit right now.I've got my fingers crossed.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
:scared:      :eek:       :knothead:  Yes sir PVC or carpet tube for me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I kinda like that bubble-wrapped one. I can see right off what it is and know that it is fragile. ...
then, if i'm still thinking about that fight with my spouse this morning, or the boss ticked me off, or i'm just a nasty mean crotchety person, i'll make sure to take extra good care of that bubble wrapped funny lookin' stick .... "doh, hey darryl, look at this warped stick kinda thingy wrapped all purty like - betcha i can flip this sucker in yonder hamper on my first try, doh ..."

:D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Ouch, i just came from the Post office . I shipped a Bow I sold today the exact same way. I Pray it makes it OK.
                          Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by bentpole:
 :scared:        :eek:         :knothead:   Yes sir PVC or carpet tube for me.
like i said, karma had other plans for that stick.  i'm sure vince can make that bad boy new again, when he gets back from whacking nebraska turks next week.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Vince will fix'r up right. Can't waite to have Maqua back in the "MOHAWK WAR PARTY"!  :archer:

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
And people wonder why I ship one piece bows in a plywood crate...
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
I never even got to shoot her    :(
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I bought a Royal Crown off the classifieds last week from a Tradganger that shipped the bow wrapped in foam and shipped in a schedule 40 PVC pipe with PVC end caps. When it was deliveried USPS had punch a hole in the pipe. Luckey...no damage to the bow. It was new pipe and it looked like it had been to war. So be WARNED they could tear up a anvil in a sand pile with a rubber mallet.  :knothead:    :notworthy:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Rob, I ship out all T/D bows, longbow or recurve in the same box I receive them in. The only difference, I double up on the bubble wrap on each end of the limb tips and have a 2" cushion of bubble wrap on each end of the box. So far all my bows have arrived in great shape. I also send everything out USPS Priority....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
:rolleyes:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
joe,

i pretty much did the same as you - t/d 2pc longbow in a thick double sock, 3 layers of bubble wrap with ends folded over, brand new usps triangular box (stronger than a rectangular box), with a wad of bubble wrap at either end and the bow in the middle.  usps priority, insured w/confirmation.

i'll never ship out any bow - 1pc, 2pc, 3pc - in a cardboard box ... not ever again.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
Rob, go to a carpet outlet and get there used cardboard rolls. They are very thick, that is what I use. Just cut the roll 8" or so bigger than the bow and stuff bubble wrap around the ends and the riser. Then duct tape the heck out of the ends. Works great for all the bows I've shipped so far.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by steadman:
Rob, go to a carpet outlet and get there used cardboard rolls. They are very thick, that is what I use. Just cut the roll 8" or so bigger than the bow and stuff bubble wrap around the ends and the riser. Then duct tape the heck out of the ends. Works great for all the bows I've shipped so far.
That is exactly what I have done in the past.  They are almost bullet proof and free to boot! They work great!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
You cant beat cardboard carpet tubes...they work great and i wouldnt send any other way....i recieved a 10" piece of one of the triangular priority boxes in a plastic bag..there was a note in the bag from the us postal service...sorry missing contents   :eek:  We never did find the dwyer but fortunately the sender had insured and did recieve his claim........ I also had another custom bow in one of the triangular packages that had a huge tear in the box....i had waited a year for the bow and about crapped when i saw the gouge......fortunately the bow was fine........ Send the bow in tubes...it's the only way to go...The problem with the triangular boxes taped together they get caught on the conveyor belts and ripped to shreds..... another important point... it is up to the "seller" to insure and make the claim....so if the bow doesnt make it to the buyer in acceptable condition....then the seller has to do their part and make the claim.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©