3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string hand trouble  (Read 350 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
string hand trouble
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
i have been having serious pain in the three knuckles of my shooting hand while shooting.i have dropped down in wieght to 50 or less even,still have this pain.tried laying off shooting completely for over a week at a time then shoot light poundage and within 5 arrows the pain is back.this really sucks.i really feel like someone made a voodoo doll of me and is just goin down the list one at a time.several people i have talked to believe i have developed arthritis and may have to stop shooting trad bows.this will be the dagger that kills me if so.it hurts in the knuckle joints of all three fingers.i find it hard to believe that i would get arthritis in all three at the same time.any ideas what to do??????? thanks.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string hand trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Larry how old are you and theres nothing wrong with shooting a 40lb bow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
turned 49 today actually.i cannot shoot 40 pounds for elk,i just wont do that.not ethical in my own opinion
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
What's the Doc say ?  :saywhat:  you have seen a Doc for this I hope.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I have a friend who has the same problem you have and he shoots a release and he is very accurate with it.

I see nothing wrong with using a release because it will allow you to keep shooting trad bows.

If it were me i wouldnt hesitate to try one and if it came down to it i would shoot a compound before i would give up bowhunting.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
I had very similar problems the last few weeks.
Do you feel the pain only in the knuckles or is it in the tendons in the wrist and forearm  too?
I had a  shooting break of 2-3 weeks and  I have swichted to a cordovan tab.It is more  distributing the pressure of the string.
Now it is getting better.
Hope you get well soon!
regards
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Maybe try taping your knuckles to give a little support.  What a day to have a birthday, I bet you've gotten a few gag gifts.  Also, you could look into a release?  Is the pain only when you shoot or is it constant?  Is it worse in the morning and does it go away after you start moving around?  Any other medical history, gout, tick bite, STD, etc. Any swelling, redness? These are a few questions that can get us a diagnosis.
Good luck
Josh
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
i wont be shooting a release with a trad bow...just not the same.may as well be shooting a wheelie bow imho.just in the joints of the knuckles nowhere else.i no longer have medical coverage from my employer,this is what happens when you get hurt on the job i guess.it is what it is i guess.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
"any ideas what to do?" See a doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist????? Get it checked out to be sure it isn't something serious.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
the pain is non existant when i am not shooting for a day or two.start shooting and bam..there it is again.my fingers do look swollen after shooting,not red but swollen some comparatively..yea..being an april fools baby has its share of very interesting gifts for sure.i always told my mom the joke was on her though.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
Shoot a release if you have to. Not a big deal and sure beats giving up Trad or hunting.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Capazisun cream. Relieves joint pain, trust me it works, my knees have been killing me, put some of that on as directed and the pain is gone.

Kmart or Walmart should carry it or any of the drug stores.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I had a similar problem years ago when I was shooting a 96lb. bow way too much.  I put the bow down for two months, took full doses of glucosaminechondroitin with msm and hyaluronic acid,(these are natural supplements).  My chiropractor thought that it was a form tendonitis. Eventually that got better.  I also developed over use arthritis in both hands, work related, that went away when I went on two cycles of CMO from Vestalcare. More recently I jammed the first joint in my index finger that acts up when I shoot a lot.  I am also a classical musician and I had to make a decision to protect my hands so i have dropped my bow weight down to the low 50s and shoot mostly left handed now. I still take the supplements everyday. The good quality stuff works better than the cheap stuff, but I still need to take it everyday and the effects do not show up for a while. It is more of a preventative, I do not believe there are any quick fixes for wear and tear on the body.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Happy Birthday!

I second the taping of the joints as a precaution, and supplementation for joint health. Capazisun, arnica and even tiger balm are all good for external medication. Internally I'd add joint support compounds to your daily regimen. Think anti-inflammatory.

Good luck!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
thanks...i'll give it a shot,hope it works.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Larry try all of the above and really focus on the chondroitin.  It helps me a lot.

If none of that works, try a thumbring. It is traditional and lots of archers shoot really well with them.  Oh and lay off the 300 shots at a time one the range for a few months and it should help minimize the impacts.  Sounds like tendonitis to me too.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I have heard of people using a leather strap for a release aid. Just wrap it around the string and hold it. Don't know if it would be any easier on the joints but may be worth looking into. Don't know all of the details of exactly how it works but I think it might fit your case. It wouldn't be as mechanical as a compound release.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Larry, all good stuff from the brothers. I would also try and contact Don Thomas and ask for his input on this. Nothing like having a doctor who loves the bow and arrow!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Call the Doc!!!  Good luck.  H

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
whats his trad name?...don thomas?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©