3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too many knife posts...  (Read 1074 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Too many knife posts...
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Fellers and Ladies, we are simply overwhelmed with knife topics lately. I'm as addicted to steel as the worst of you...well, maybe not as bad as Ron LaClair, but as bad as most anyone else. However, this is a traditional bowhunting site and though knives play an important role in what we do, this is not a knife gallery or building site.

Please, please...let's all try to make the knife posts an "appropriate percentage"...meaning there should be far more questions about hunting, new bow, new arrows, etc. posts thank knife posts. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too many knife posts...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
In support of my brother Joe, I'll add a hearty amen to his words... and don't think this ain't a hard one to put up here.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Would it be possible to add a knife forum?  I really like seeing the results of someone's hard work when they post a knife thread.  Just my .02...keep the change.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline TradAlaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
May I suggest that if there is a post that has "knife" in the title, don't click on it.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I would recommend a knife forum section as well.  I love seeing the creativity.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
ok, let's try this:  Should I try shooting a custom made knife from a factory made longbow? or will the knife be overspined?
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I would like to add another one.  Can we seperate the "look at my new bow" sttuff from the main line hunting?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
the difficulty with a new forum is that once you start in that direction, where do you draw the line?

knappers
self bows
tipi-makers
atlatl throwers
anachronists
taxidermists
and on, and on....

Where could we stop? Could we turn down others? It would only end when it dilutes the site to being something OTHER than what it is, when the focus of the site that has CAUSED it to grow so much over the last couple of years is lost, and when that happens we would just dwindle away.

I love knives and participate on many of the threads ...but I did count as many as 9 on the first page one day a few weeks ago. I agree with the other mods on this one.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Don, if this were a personal request and not one from me acting as a Tradgang moderator after much discussion among the other moderators and Tradgang Admin, that would certainly be an answer.

But since this NOT a personal request, your suggestion doesn't help the basis of the issue that we are NOT a knife focused bulletin board.

A seperate knife forum has been discussed and is not in the plans currently.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, nor do I have anything against these types of posts...I'm a certified knife nut. But, plain and simple, we are a Traditional Bowhunting Bulletin board and we as moderators and admin are simply trying to keep the focus on track. We have been agonizing over this issue for some time...hoping the focus would not be diluted by our obvious interests in good steel...but it has.

These types of posts are difficult for me and the rest of those shouldered with the task of keeping the site moving in it's purposed direction...but it's a task that we will continue to perform to serve that purpose.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
I am probably as guilty or more so than anyone.  I agree that this is bowhunting site and the reason why I came here in the first place.  Unless I have a related topic to that extent or St Judes Auction, I will more than happily honor this site...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Point well taken, I am guilty of adding to the knife interest on this site, but will try and refrain in the future.

It would be tough as a moderator/knife nut to make this dicision for the greater good of the site, and I applaud you and the others.

Thanks

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I wanted to post on the anachronist forum but got there at the wrong time...  :saywhat:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
There will be NO knife forum.  

Trad Gang is not about knives ... nor hatchets, nor taxidermy, nor knapping, nor bow making, and you know what else will fit.  

But it's OK to talk about all these things, and more, here at PowWow, because all are connected to our trad bowhunting.  

HOWEVER, we (Admins and Mods) are greatly concerned when a particular peripheral part of our sport gets unbridled and continual coverage that literally steals from Trad Gang's prime directive - focusing on trad bowhunting.  

Thank you all for your understanding, thank you for your support of your Trad Gang.

And thank you JC, for this topic post.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Guilty as charged, I'll respect the wishes of the Mods & Admins on the boards. Sorry if I've helped to cause this in any way. Trad Bowhunting is the reason we're all here, in the firstplace so you're right to keep it that way.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Maybe part of the reason for the number of knife threads is due to closed seasons and folks are more focused on the peripheral parts of hunting and not yet focused on getting their bows tuned for a season still months away (turkey excepted).  I respect and will honor the wishes of the admin and moderators of this site because I truely enjoy this site and the fine folks here.  One of the things I enjoy most about this site has little to do trad gear or hunting...it is the sense of family and comraderie with the people here.  There is little to no snipping, quipping or out right bullying.  Most if any corrections are good natured and I don't ever remembering reading a post where someone got called a foul name or them made to feel unwelcome because of something that was written in a post.  We all feel like we are in this together and it shows in the quality and quantity of posts, trad bow related or not.

Thanks moderators and admin for your time, energy and efforts that keep this site up and running.  It it dearly appreciated.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Very diplomatic post JC. Had to be a tough one for a guy as into knives as you are.  

I agree there has probably been too much lately.  Kind of like we were driving down the road and got so caught up in the beautiful scenery we wandered off on the shoulder a bit.  Thanks for bringing us back on the main highway!

I hope it can go as Rob suggests, and that they will find there way into threads occasionally, along with all of the other things that we enjoy.  At the end of the day, it is traditioanl bowhunting that brings us here in the first place, and sharing all of the things that are related to it is good. I hope it can still continue on occasion without getting out of hand.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Not to put anyone down, but the "look at my knife" thing does get old after a while. The same with new bows. Sorry.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Buz-AL@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
"...nor bow making..."

[sigh]

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
JC, I commend you in your stepping away from your own likes and doing what you needed to do. I knew it had to be this way and was surprised you all allowed "US" to do it as long as you did.
I personally learned alot in the last while about knives and their construction, however, as you stated this about traditional bowhunting and all that goes along with it. I did find a knife forum the other day at which I can feed my knife fetish and will refrain from posting as much here about knives. Thanks mods and admin for the best place on the net continuing as is!!!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
JC, I know this was a tough thread for you to start.  I applaud you and the others who keep this site the way you do.   :campfire:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©