3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too many knife posts...  (Read 1073 times)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too many knife posts...
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
i am Guilty as well for posting knife give aways. no problem.as you guys do a real good job of keeping this site up and running.  :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
I think it is a fine line, I think the problem with a post like this is now they may dry up all together. Let me say this does not effect me in the least, as I very and mean very seldom post on a knife thread. My suggestion is just curtail them a bit and if ya get one going, just expand it to include other posts that may of been done seperately. It would be ashame to see them disappear completely as even I love seeing Tippits, Jeremys and Franks work as well as many others. Doug Campbell as we all know does the most incredible work posts them and I know for a fact we all like to see and read his posts. Think first is all I am saying! Shawn
Shawn

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Kingstaken et al who have issue with this: I will say this as clearly as I possibly can. Yes, knife topics are a part of tradgang but TOO MANY knife topics take the focus off of what we are doing here. The purpose is clearly and distinctly defined by the ones who started this whole thing...the rules work and work well. We haven't "changed agendas", but we are human and we have to make judgement calls. The knife threads have recently got to a point where we have had to reign them in. That's all this is, not a ban on knife posts, just getting this bus off the shoulder and back onto the road as a good friend implied. We aren't saying no more knife posts...we just need people to exercise a little restraint.

And if you want to make your case, a public tantrum is not the appropriate manner, take it up privately with admin. Getting defensive is not going to get you anywhere...if your goal is truly to further traditional bowhunting as ours is.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
I have a feeling now that anyone who makes knives and has read this thread will stop posting pics of them altogether. Hope that ain't so as I like the beautiful work these guys do and will be sorry not to see it. Like someone said above it is the "off season" for hunting and therefore we see more threads straying from trad bows and hunting.

I think the reason we see a "turnover" in posters on any board is after a while the oldest members have discussed to death every facet of the subject and are burnt out and kinda fade off into the sunset.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Guys, no one is saying there can't be any knife (etc.) topics - we WANT knife posts.  

What we're saying is that if you see there are already two threads on knives and you want to post a knife thread, please consider holding back 'til those other threads roll off and down the line.

Thanx.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
I am not an expert on forum protocol, nor am I a knifemaker.  I will take this comment from the view of a newbie.

We see many threads that are "show me all your_______" and "which ______ is the best for ________".

I think the earlier type of post I stated may become rather cumbersome, but the latter post is inherently why many of us are here.  It is to glean information, skills, talent, equipment, etc. from others who have more experience.

Maybe a "Show and Tell" forum would be a helpful way of curtailing the thread activity.  As a newbie to bowhunting, I would love to not miss any pertinent, helpful thread because there is just a bunch of unrelated traffic pushing the threads down of the first page or two.

My pair of pennies.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
The knife thread issue has been one of growing concern for some time now. I cannot imagine anyone stating the facts more "politically correct" than JC has. He in no way made it a personal attack against any individual. He just stated the facts. If you are looking to air public hostility, then you're on the wrong site. This site was founded on the premise of "Traditional Bowhunting" and "mutual respect" pure and simple. There is no problem with posting threads about knives but, there are a few that are posting the majority of their threads on knives, some with alterior motives, and not contributing to the overall bowhunting experience. All we're asking is that you contribute to the "whole experience" of tradgang.
Respectfully...........
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Guys, I might be the one that started this whole thing a while back,about there being too much about knives....But when I finally said something,it seemed I wasn't alone in my thoughts and we all agreed something needed to be done about it.

I love knives and love seeing the stuff folks make here,most of them are personal friends of mine. My opinion is it's fine to post pix of knives that have something to do with fellow tg'ers.

A knife made by a TG'er  and given/traded/or bought by another TG'er.A knife made for the ST Judes auction,a sponsor, and so on.IMHO they have a lot to do with TG or trad bowhunting.

But when someone is just posting pic about a knife they bought somewhere else and has absolutely no tie to TG,they don't belong here.Also a pic of every knive someone makes,it doesn't belong here......we would be simply overwelmed with knife posts......

Jeremy, Doc, Rob, Doug occasionally post a pic or two,but they don't overdo it...I think that's they key here....

Joe, You did fine bud.......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
EDIT:  Ok, I just went back and read the additions to the first page including the Official statement that there won't be a knife thread.  So I retract my earlier suggestion.   :)  

I too, think all the knife threads are due to people not being able to hunt so they're in their shops making things.  I love all the projects on here and they've inspired me to make turkey calls, back quiver and harvest osage staves to try making a selfbow so I'd hate to see them disappear all together.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Man! I am so glad I never posted too much about knives.     "[dntthnk]"     I aggree 100% with the mods. I have seen way to many posts about knives lately and even told terry in a email. I did think that a forum for knives and maybe other trad related build alongs would have been cool but hey thats me and I'm just me. I have no problem not posting about knives. I know I have done more then my share of knife posts. I was almost  giving a knife a week away! Which was a blast for me. But it's not what TG is about.I was also posting about knives I have made way toooo much. For all this I am truly sorry. Jc no hard feelings on my part.  This is a great site to be able to visit and there is a reason for that. The Mods and Rob and Terry do a awesome job and most know it's not a easy one to have.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Did anyone read what I said? It basically said use commom sense. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
I'd say that about cuts it.

HAW!!! HAWWW!!!!!  Man, I crack myself up!!!!!!
Otto

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
ttt
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »
With over 12000 tradgangers I don't see why 20 knife posts should be a problem.
Especially considering the fact that some knife makers are sponsors.
Treestands, backpacks, hats, coats, etc., are all part of trad bowhunting. At any given time some of these things could coincedently pop up at 8-10 at a time.

Oh well....................

hnh signing out-
God Bless
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »
HEY, I want to be a moderator...NOT.  Great job guys and pretty thankless work.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I sold the business to Chad.

I have noticed over the years at this site and others that knife posts do come and go.  Sometimes nothing, then BANGO, there is a mess of them.  The reason I noticed...more posts, more knives and blades sold!

I think it is mostly just a cyclical thing.

Certainly enough is enough and one hell of a tough call.

HOWEVER, if someone is "pumping" the system then the onus is on the moderators to go to the problem, not some guy showing off the labor of his love.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
You know it truly amazes me, at how we seem to read into things what we want. Then start bellering like squashed cats. Before long every one wants to join in.

May I suggest that what was ORIGONALLY POSTED be re-READ as well as what has been said by every Mod. and Admin. with OPEN MINDS.

"Please, please...let's all try to make the knife posts an "appropriate percentage"...meaning there should be far more questions about hunting, new bow, new arrows, etc. posts thank knife posts. Your help would be greatly appreciated"

Unless I have totally lost my ability to reason all I see being said is to re-quote Mr. Leonard

USE SOME "COMMON SENSE"

If there already 5 threads of the same topic join in one, or wait a bit. At the very least can you make it TRAD ARCHERY RELATED.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Folks,  

I was just about to post a reply but thankfully just saw Vance's post, and what he's saying says it all.

We wish to keep Trad Gang's prime focus on traditional bowhunting.  

We WANT knife topics.  

We would NOT like that a bevy of knife topics would in any way shift the focus of Trad Gang away from traditional bowhunting.  This can easily encourage others to join Trad Gang to solely talk about knives.  I can see where that's happened already.  Nor would any of us be pleased that there are members "working the board" for their own personal gain.

So we ask you, we don't tell you, to please be considerate about peripheral gear topic posts.  That's all.

This is your free, public Trad Gang - use it in the spirit it was created: 101% traditional bowhunting.

Thank you.

Rob.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Guys, I'm like Bob--no dog in this fight as I don't build knives (at least not to the extent that some do) but, as I've read through this I don't believe the mods are telling us to never post about knives again, just use a little common sense about how many threads are being started at the same time.  I've seen some days where there are several knife threads going on at the same time.  I'm sure, as others have mentioned, it has a lot to do with not much bowhunting going on at this time.  I also agree with Sticshooter above and personally think the moderators and Terry and Rob have done a fine job.  They are not asking anyone to pick up their toys and go home, they have simply asked us to use some common sense in limiting the amount of knife posts.  I think it is funny when I hear people say other sites don't pull as many posts but when I'm on other sites I see threads  with people complaining about posts being pulled.  It is just impossible to please everyone.   JMHO.

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
AMEN  IRON BULL
I reckon so

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by DEERSLAYER1961:
My point exactly.  Another petty, and immature response by the moderators.  You should be trying to set an example for others on how to behave.  This shows very little class, and what TG is really all about (selfishness)!

>DEERSLAYER---->
Deerslayer, I have to disagree.  This is the most UNSELFISH and generous group I've ever been around.

It's refreshing to see.  Instead of petty fights and insults that I sometimes see at other sites, I see care and giving here.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©