3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bam Boo Failure  (Read 332 times)

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
Bam Boo Failure
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Has anyone else been having bamboo break? The last 3 bows I have built the boo has given way,it just cracks and splinters. The bows were tillerd out to 28", 48 to 50lbs.I get the riser cut out do a little sanding even shoot a fews arrows,go back and see what weight is  and then it just lets go.At this point I havent even touched the back of bow to start the finish. I could see this happening in the begining of process. Just wondering if anyone else is running into this ?   :banghead:  
               Pete
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Mike Byrge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bam Boo Failure
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
I've had the bamboo-backing fail on a couple of bows and like yours they were deep into the making process or already complete before they let go.  I got the 'boo from the same source and figured I just got a some bad pieces.

Sounds like you may have some marginal bamboo.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
sounds like boo may not be the best/long life for insuring durability of a bow project. red elm, maple hve been around for decades.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
Yep when building all natural bows the component parts are the most important.  Using inferior woods or bamboo are formulas for failure.

Red elm and maple are good in glass bows but don't do worth squat in all natural bows.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
I shall read a little more closely LOL
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Spend the money for quality materials and you won't be sorry.  As Mike mentioned, this is crucial in a natural materials bow.  With that said there is still some variation inherent in the bamboo(it's a natural product).  One can't expect every piece to be the same as every other. I've had the good stuff break as well.  

You also may want to examine your method of clamping the bamboo during glue up.  Many times this process, if done improperly, can create small cracks in the bamboo leading to failure.

Whereabouts on the limb has your bamboo been failing?  Edges? Near handle?  Crown?  

Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
How long are your bows?  How about moving this to the bowyer's bench? Lot's of brain power on that forum, probably get more replies too...
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
There have been post on boo backed bows for years here on TG. It seems that Iam not the only one,recently , haveing this problem. In the past 3 failures, one at the edge , one from a node , and the last in the middle of of back. I noticed on this last bow ,there were black spots in the belly of boo,after thinning. It is usuallly all white. Does anyone have a reason for this color variation to happen? Maybe this is a weakness in the boo.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
What bamboo are you using and where did you buy it?  There is a huge difference in bamboo available and the failure rate goes up as the price goes down.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
"At this point I havent even touched the back of bow to start the finish.      :banghead:      
 Pete "

The others have some good points, I will offer the following,
If the boo is left raw and sharp on the edges and the nodes are left proud, you can be asking for a touble.as well as any scars or wounds anyplace on the back,This or disease maybe the cause of The spots coming thru and surly can be a bad spot in the boo and should be considered.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I usually go for bamboo but opted for elm core in my new Thunderhorn and have been really impressed. I think it is actually faster.   BILL

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Mike
  I cant give a name to this boo,but it was 5.00 a piece shipped 66" long, and I have ordered for this supplier b4 and no problems. It just may be the Boo Gods are Angery (LOL)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©