3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snakes in bad trouble  (Read 381 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Snakes in bad trouble
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Boy from the looks of the first page the snakes are gonna' be in deep doodoo.  Good grief!  Hope everyone gets them because that's fewer snakes to have to contend with in the woods.  To me the only good snake is a dead snake--Yeah, I know, that's not the correct green attitude, but they give me the creeps anyway.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snakes in bad trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I love it! The first time I looked at the page I thought it was Groundhog day and not Good Friday   ;)
Mike Davenport

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
I wasn't sure I was looking at different threads. They all popped up at about the same time.

Does that mean great minds think alike?

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Yeah the  snakes are in trouble.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
 To me the only good snake is a dead snake--Yeah, I know, that's not the correct green attitude, but they give me the creeps anyway.
I see you're a pastor.  When you get to heaven, be sure and tell God that He didn't know what He was doing when He created the 2900 different species of snakes.  I'm sure glad we've got guys who are smarter than God to fix His mistakes.  

:knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Wasn't it Ian Anderson who sang:  "And He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass......"
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Gotta say that snakes have a purpose and I have walked away from plenty of rattlers to let them keep hunting mice and rats.  I have also killed some that were to close to camps with kids in them.

Had a smaller one slither across my daughters foot a couple years ago while camping on the Snake River.  We had 3 and 4 years olds in camp and I cut that ones head off right prompt.  

I only kill them when I have to.  After all this hubub about snake skin bows, I am thinking I am going to have to find a couple big Western Diamonbacks this summer and put the whacking on them and skin a self bow I am planning to make at WAJAM.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Hayslope,,, you give me an idea. How about kitten backed bows? It may relieve the snake shortage.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Not to mention the kitten population explosion.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Did anybody notice that Terry sent all of the "snake"threads to the top? I wonder why?  ;)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Sorry...got to agree with Dave....if it slithers on the ground, has fangs....it dies. Don't care if they are protected or not..like Timber rattlers here in NY...they die.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I only kill snakes if they're poisonous and in a place I'll be back to in the dark, or close to my house.

Personally, I will never kill snakes to back bows, and I don't think buying skins is a good idea, because it promotes killing of snakes for profit. If you want to kill your own and use the skins, that's fine in my book, but I object to the wholesale killing of snakes for the sale of the skins. I think it should be illegal, like the selling of other wildlife parts. Just my opinion.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
You can raise snakes in "snake farms". Just like raising turkeys for meat and feathers in my book.
I'm sure alot of those snake skin bows started off as a good dinner.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Sorry - I never understood the killing of every snake you see. I can understand you don't want a venomous snake near where your kids are playing, but lets keep things in perspective.  Your kids have a much much greater chance of contracting lyme disease than getting bit by a venomous snake.  And the killing of non-venomous snakes is just plain dumb.  They serve a good role in the environment.  If you have such a phobia of snakes that you kill everyone you see, then you better never go outside again, because for everyone you see there are ten more you don't.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
From what I understand,many areas of Florida are becoming over run w/ pythons.  They are viewed as a great threat to the ecology, as an invasive species.  Wonder how many bows you could back w/ a 12ft. python?  As to snakes in general I let them be, but invasive phytons, that would be another story. Just saying.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by knife river:
Not to mention the kitten population explosion.     ;)  
Amen, they gotta go. I'm not allergic to snakes.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I definitely would agree with killing every invasive python you see.  The good thing is that they took a hit with the cold of this past winter.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
I say we form up a Trad Gang Python Hunt and rent some airboats.  We run around the swamps and whack all the pythons we can find.  That should give us enough snake skins for the next century and we can leave the local snakes to go there merry way.  Unless of course they come into camp and then they gotta go.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
There is some preliminary evidence that their may have been a large winter kill of pythons.  Heres the thing - Even if something like 80% died the remaining 20% will breed,(50-100 produced per female),will have their numbers right back up to what they were by this fall. 80% winter kill is normal for rabbits, to maintain a stable population--Iam guessing this holds true for pythons.

Offline Ar lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
A python skin would look awesome on a back quiver!
Its never crowded on the "extra mile"!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©