3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stand vs ground blind  (Read 246 times)

Offline JOE HARROD

• Trad Bowhunter
tree stand vs ground blind
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
i have bow hunted from a tree stand for 40 years it is hard to change.life is subject to change at any momet how we except those changes is how we survive in life.ground blinds can be as good as any climbing stand so i am told.you better know what you are doing or you will mess up your hunting ground.i need some info on subject.

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stand vs ground blind
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Joe: Hunted from the ground for quite a few years before treestands came out. I think I shot eleven deer. This past year, due to the fact that I am 72, I decided to go back to the ground. I had a great year. Several small bucks within ten yards. Missed a big doe at fifteen yards. I use natural blinds. It will take some time to perfect your setups, but it can be a deadly way to hunt. Once you make up your mind to hunt from the ground, sell the treestands. Their is nothing like getting a fifteen yard shot when you are eye to eye. Good luck, and don't get discouraged. Rod

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Click here for nat\\'l blind info search #1  
   Hunting from Nat\\'l blinds search #2      
 Hunting from ground blinds search #3
   Hunting from the ground search #4    
Here are a few topics to click on to help you out.  There are several more under the search function.  Check it out!  PM me if i can help!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
It`s all good.

The same basics that apply to being in a tree are simply magnified on the ground. Everything is more critical. Movement, scent, ect.

Getting set in a ground blind is sometimes better because it requires less intrusion/noise.

I`m sure there are alot of deer that have fallen to my arrows from a tree, that would have not been possible from the ground. With that being said, I jump at every opportunity to try a ground ambush. As I said, it`s all good.

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I know it sure is a rush to hunt bears from a ground blind!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
My name says it all!  I kill very well from the ground.  On the ground its a HUNT and you had better have your game on.  H

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
for me .give me a blind with shoot through windows ,i only open the one i shoot out of,keeps the wind from swirling in the blind i have a bad back and cant sit still for long ,i put me a camping chair in it with arm rest ,i can stay all day ,i can streatch, stand up in ,lasyt year had a bobcat come right to the blind where i enter it and zip it up and have had deer 5 yards in front of me,but a tree stand gives you a better vantage point ,you can see more up in a tree.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I have hunted out of both, this past year I gave up tree stands(hang on's) and I went to the TreeWalker climbing stand.  It is comfortable secure and quiet, the blind I hunt out of is a double bull, couldn't ask for better blind, there's imitations out there, you have to look closely because some material is shiny, you're done for if it is.

The other thing that I purchased, and I sat in it in the wide open with it, I also sat next to a tree, and that is a Ghillie Suit.  With that Ghillie suit in the wide open, with the wind in my favor, I have had a deer's nose 6" from me.  I was a bit nervous because it was a Buck.

I was hoping it did not want to thrash a bush, it was there for about ½ minute.  But once it got wind of me, GONE

And that was at 26 below zero on January 2 2010, in Wisconsin.

But it sure was fun

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline ripstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I have hunted out of a ground blind for the last two years.Granted.You can't see as well,but the other benifits are great.I put heat in my blind.Comfortable chair and can move around.I get my deer and turkey every year.I also use a ASAT leafy suit and that baby works.I can sit by a tree or bush and deer will walk right by me and not know I'm there.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I use both, where I hunt there is not always an available tree to put a stand in. I like the ground hunting it is an awesome feeling to be on eye level with whitetails at close range. I use pop up blinds, natural blinds, and a ghille suit and have had sucess with all of them.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
I always feel like I am missing deer movement in a blind.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
I hate pop up blinds, I use them turkey hunting. I made me some ground blinds out of cedar trees this year. In a ground blind I feel like Cool Hand Luke (don't put me in the box Boss).LCH

Offline hefty hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
it is this time of year that i locate trails and make some of my ground blinds, they sorta look like the beginings of log cabins, but they hold me and my 10 year old hunting buddy. just watch the wind and enjoy

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Sometimes you don't have a tree in the right place and a blind might work.If you are used to hunting from above the blind is a big change.You loose all that fresh air circulating at the heights,big loss of vision compared to a tree and I find it harder to stay very long like I can in a tree.Still they can and do work,in a cramped,hot,clostiphobic kind of way.  ;)    :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Make your blind blend in as much as possible using available limbs, brush, etc., and make more than one along the trail your going to hunt to make use of the wind. After a mishap in a tree stand several years ago, I "still hunt" and use ground blinds exclusively.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©