3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig hunting, 50# bow, and KE  (Read 545 times)

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig hunting, 50# bow, and KE
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
Your built-in calculator will do just fine: put one hand on the bow and the other hand to the string. Be sure their is an arrow in between.
Best of all, that calculator doesn't need batteries, it'll work fine on hamburgers and sunshine.
If you need more decimal points take off your shoes.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
It really is quite simple, isn't it, good luck ...

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I did some quickies. Got this:
TPI 1.17
TPI 1.01

Now, the only way to increase TPI is by increasing momentum.

Note to self: put down the calculator. ROFL!

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
Hello

so far, like said the tradgang fellows training & sharpening are the keys

to be even more confident put weihgt, almost 10 grs/pounds and play with EFOC and probably a good & strong bilame

it's good for your mental and it's good also to pass trhough pig

Personnaly with my 27 draw i'm shooting a 49 pounds recurve, very very light configurtaion for my country *, but i read many things on TG, i ask questions sometiems  and my arrows are 700 & 720 & 750 grs configurations with EFOC and every things work well like that !

i learn that the most important bowhunting with a trad bow is not the bow but the arrow including the broadhead of course !

* (where 10 years ago if you was not shooting a 70 pounds mini with a trad you was not a real man. Now all this guys have back, neck, arms problems)
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 05:20:00 AM »
Go kill a hog!  On the big boars, you just need to be patient for the perfect shot angle.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by FrankM:
Thanks guys. I did some quickies. Got this:
TPI 1.17
TPI 1.01

Now, the only way to increase TPI is by increasing momentum.

Note to self: put down the calculator. ROFL!
yup, forget all that crap.  it's no big deal to build or buy a 10gpp arrow with 15% foc and get them to fly well.  hone yer accuracy at sane hunting distances - this is by far the most important aspect.  get the bh's real sharp.  pick a spot.

now stop typing and get out and practice!      :D    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
I shot a 203lb boar last thursday with a 46lb recvurve. He ran 25yrds. Broadhead was supersharp and shot was perfect. I know he would have gone alot father if shot in the guts with a 60lb bow. Got a pic of him on highlights page. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
we dont need no stinkin charts! JUST pratice.sharp heads will cut everytime.

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I asked my 50# bow an arrow combination not long ago and I'm going to give you the advice I got in short form.  Put a sharp broadhead in the right spot and bring back pictures to show.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Frank, give your brain a rest. I too have an engineering degree and like you said we engineers can be anal at times. Many times, at first glance, we come up with an elegant if somewhat complicated solution to a problem.

Upon reflection for a few moments we usually come up with a much simpler solution.  

Stick, string , sharp broadhead , tuned arrow- one of those reflective moments.

Enjoy, leave the math on the monitor and enjoy life  LOL
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by centaur:
What you NEED is a sharp broadhead put in the right place. Your bow should be able to do that if you can put the arrow where it needs to be.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
I agree with centaur. The latest whiz bang articles and charts are interesting but when you start paying attention to them and deciding that your bow won't kill you're doing yourself a disservice.

Guy

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by acadian archer:
Frank, give your brain a rest. I too have an engineering degree and like you said we engineers can be anal at times. Many times, at first glance, we come up with an elegant if somewhat complicated solution to a problem.

Upon reflection for a few moments we usually come up with a much simpler solution.  

Stick, string , sharp broadhead , tuned arrow- one of those reflective moments.

Enjoy, leave the math on the monitor and enjoy life  LOL
Yeah....what *I* think you NEED....is to go hunting...   :campfire:

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by FrankM:
You guys are sharp!  Why do they post those so-called charts for hunting? Are those really for compound people? Seems to me as though it's inaccurate information.
Honestly, I think they mean well. For whatever reason (and I suppose there are some valid reasons) Ke figures have become somewhat of a benchmark for bowhunters. While I appreciate the desire to promote that people not go afield “under-gunned,” Ke tables at times have no basis in reality.

The fact is that people have been recreationally bowhunting (as opposed to bowhunting for survival) for over a hundred years. As a group, we figured out what it takes to kill animals long before Ke charts, FOC charts, momentum charts, or any of the other popular “this versus that” platitudes that are promoted as Gospel these days.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Yeah....what *I* think you NEED....is to go hunting...    :campfire:  /QUOTE]

You are so right. There's a pig problem y'know. They're tearing up the landscape. Eating too many acorns, killing the trees in San Diego. Yup, I'm going green! Save the planet! Kill a pig!

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
<<10gpp arrow with 15% foc and get them to fly well. Stick, string , sharp broadhead , tuned arrow.>>

Have all of that now except foc is 13%. Now, to tune the arrows with my bow at 10-20 yards. Adjust FOC if needed.

You are wise, Master. Grasshopper has learned.  :)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I don't have an engineering degree and the physics formulas make my head hurt but if you like to delve into that stuff Frank,play with the formula for momentum and see how increases in weight affect momentum and then see how increases in speed affect momentum.Forget KE.It is a poor indicator and the results,on paper,tend to favor faster bows.

Stick around here awhile and you will find out that many,many people are blowing through,elk,moose,bears and tough African game with setups like yours and lighter.

Large pigs have a formidable shield so shot placement is everything.There is good infrmation on that,here on the site.There isn't an animal on planet earth that can take a hole through both lungs.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Yeah, did that. Got this:
Max TPI:  132-112 fps w/680-800 gr.,  M  = .40 slug-fps, TPI = .40 * 3.53 * .9 =  1.27

The arrows with the most "hit" are 680-800 gr. for my bow. The speed worries me though, 112-132 fps seems a little slow. But, if I buy a Quinn Stallion that goes 30 fps faster, I'm gold. LOL!

I am so devious.  :)

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Heheh  :)  I'm a member on several similar forums and this type of debate come up over and over. Truth is...KE is totally inaccurate. If you calculate the KE...you'll end up believing you can hunt Cape Buffalo with a .22 rifle...(do the sums if you don't believe me)
Momentum is a better indicator...HOWEVER, the indicators for minimum need to hunt animal X are MOSTLY meant for the case where YOU DO NOT HIT THE RIGHT SPOT.
So...if you shoot at a hog and hit it on the shoulder bone..you'll wish you had more...you might wish you had more even if you had 70-80lbs @28" if the shot is "perfectly wrong"  :)  If you hit it perfectly...you can kill that same hog with even less than what you're using.
I know several guys who got clean passthrough kills on Black Wildebeest using 45# recurves... A welltuned heavy arrow, razor sharp broadhead and good shotplacement...you can hunt almost anything with more or less 45#

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I've shot a number of pigs of varying sizes.  One of my best I took with a Hill longbow @48# at my 28" draw, shot a nice heavy 2018 and Zwickey 2 blade (double beveled even if you can believe it).  Super penetration--from a tree stand--stuck out over a foot on the off side.  Like they said above, sharp broadhead put in the right spot=dead pig.  BUT if you get the shot just a bit too far back which is easy to do on pigs, you're in for a long trailing job.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Quit worrying about all the tech issues.  You're way better equipped than any Indian and they fed their families for centuries without any idea that there was such a thing as KE.   :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©