3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kentucky Sportsman - NOT!!!  (Read 762 times)

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky Sportsman - NOT!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Grayson County on the west side near Ohio County.  I'm hearing that this guy is about to receive a reality check. I've dealt with these types before, but it's a real shame when they steal the outdoor experience from a youngster.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
KY regs state:
"Take a turkey by the aid of baiting, hunt on a baited area while bait is present, or hunt on a baited area for 30 days after all bait has been removed. (A baited area is any place where feed, grains or other substances capable of luring wild turkeys have been placed.) Turkeys can’t be hunted over any private land area baited for deer. An area where grains or other feeds exist as the result of legitimate agricultural practices, or as the result of growing or manipulating a crop for wildlife management is legal for hunting.

• Call or attempt to call wild turkeys by mimicking the sounds made by a wild turkey from March 1 until the opening day of spring turkey season in any area open to turkey hunting if turkeys are reasonably expected to occur. Locator calls such as crow or owl calls are permitted."
Gary Logsdon

Offline JOE HARROD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
this makes me mad.gary i live in ky not all people are like that.this  makes every ky hunter look bad.to treat a youth hunter like that makes me even madder.now if you need a place to hunt for that young man let me know i have 3 farms he can hunt on just e-mail day or night.i can hardly write still mad.got to go an cool down

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Gary,

Your story reminds me of four guys that a buddy of mine caught tespassing and doing a deer drive on his property during rifle deer season. One of the guys had a hunter education instructor patch on his vest.

Personally, I hope you nail that clown to the wall.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks Joe.  I think we're good as he's just been fooling around on one side of the farm.  This stuff unfortunately happens in a lot of states.  I've lived here all of my life and luckily had some clues as to his identity in before this happened.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I feel for you, last deer season I caught a guy in my kids double tree stand and he shot a small buck I was saving for the kids. He told the land owner it was his stand he put up years ago, they beleived me and he wasn't allowed in anymore, and for a kicker he returned this season and I caught him again, I was a little more persuading this time as I didn't have my kid.  Co. still heard about it.
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
The family farm is in LaRue Co. (born and raised) but my father-in-law has land in Grayson Co. So, I know the area.

Youngsters is bad enough, but also fellow sportsmen and a black-eye for hunters as conservationist.

Yep, there's the law. Also, if it had been before March 1st...somewhere in the KYFW regs. and laws there is a prevision on wildlife harassment (rather vague as I recall) that he could be "reminded" of.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gary Logsdon:
That won't be a problem Jim, my turkey taxidermist IS a CO.  He's already run the hunter's plates and get this, the guy's a big shot in one of the KY NWTF chapters.  This could get really interesting.
Page 14 of the spring hunting guide states prohibited hunting methods. A person hunting wild turkeys shall not: Mimic the sound of a turkey from march 1 until opening of spring season.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Can you position yourself between him and the birds and let him call them in for you. That should really show him.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
KentuckyWolf,

My family comes from Larue County. When I was young I spent much time hunting and fishing between Hodgenville and Magnolia.

I hope the CO does something with the creep who is cheating everybody on the turkey violations. But, I just wonder if they will do much about it.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Small world. I'm in Colorado for grad-school...for now. I hope to make it back for some fishing this summer and deer in December.

I hope the CO will bust his chops...but sometimes the "good-ol-boy" system keeps the creeps free and clear.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Understand- people like this clown are thieves- and nothing more. Should be treated as such no matter were they are.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Maybe this time the "good-ol-boy" system might help bring him to justice.  One of my friends is a recently retired KY CO and leader in the NWTF and the "Wheelin Sportmen".  He's made some calls:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I hope he goes down.  This thread turns my stomach.  Why is it that come turkey season, people just go off the grid acting ignorant?  Sounds like this guy has the attitude that if he can't kill em then no one should be able to.   Good luck with this.  Let us know how it turns out.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
I feel your frustration, been through this many times here in KY, wife had a guide run over her with clients elk hunting on a   WMA, where guides are not supposed to guide per the law, and FWO were there and good buds with him, told us we should get with the guide for a good price. The wife got a 4x4 on our own anyway. I have saw adults out hunting many times in youth turkey and deer firearms season without a youth and with a gun.
samuel koger

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Hope this "hunter" gets his come-uppance. I know the type.Big-shot who always gets what he wants, devil-be-darned.Big diferrence between a "hunter" and a sportsman.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Unfortunately it looks like I have a lot of company here.  Thanks for sharing. I'll keep you posted.  I've raised my son to follow all game laws and always explained to him why they're important. Even though he was born with neurological problems, he's always wanted a challenge.  He has a medical excemption which allows him to hunt with a crossbow but he's only done that once when he was much smaller and took his first turkey.  After that he insisted on hanging it up for the compound, and recently told me that the longbow was on his current agenda.  He's a pretty touch kid who always asked, "Are we allowed to do that?", even it it was a simple as pre-season scouting. Contrast what he's trying to do as a young hunter with the "adult hunter" we've come across. It's sad.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Congrats to to your wife Samuel; and how fortunate to draw that bull tag!  My brother-in-law drew a cow tag last year but didn't have any luck on the WMA he selected - too much local ATV activity even though he was told that they weren't allowed.  I "guided" him on one trip and all we saw were bulls!?!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Gary,
Sounds like you've got a good son there. It's a shame that a so-called adult should disappoint him like that. Would like to know what happens.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
The landowner's "paying the guy a visit" as he put it, plus a CO was dispatched an hour ago to "check for illegal activity".  We'll see. I'm taking my son to another spot in the morning where other birds have been seen going to roost.
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©