3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
Ticks
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Any of you guys have the same problems I have with ticks here in NY ? I have had Lyme Disease twice.....I do not spray because of the scent factor, but certainly tuck all my clothing in and check myself as best I can upon return home....I guess there's not much else to do, and it just comes with the territory. I know some sprays claim to be scent free, but tell that to the whitetail......went out scouting today and covered up good, but sweated my tail off.

:campfire:  

Any thoughts ?
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Scent is bad but any deer downwind will smell you anyway.. Its not so bad when dry...

Spray from your knees down and cover your boots with a good full high% DEET spray...

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Take a shower as soon as possible when you get in at the end of the day using a "noufa" I think they call them, scrubbing everywhere you can reach and then have wife/friend check your back where you may have missed. Normally this gets them off before they dig in. It works for me here in Arkansas, the tick and chigger capitol of the universe.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
i've had lyme's disease for at least 3 years.  permanone helps, i use it now, didn't when i got bit.  as for dealing with game and the permanone odor - trust me, you don't want lyme's.  choose wisely.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
when hunting Sawyers makes a great product that has no smell and last after washing your clothes I have not had a tick or chiggar in two years.This stuff is great!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
If you don't use Duranon or a like product, you are a fool.  Sorry, but its the truth.  There is nothing funny about tick borne diseases.  Spray your clothes, let them dry, and no worries.  I like to give a little "extra" spray before the woods.  Get chiggers a few times and ticks will be the least of your worries.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
By the way, once you have lymes disease it never goes away.  You didn't get it twice, you never got rid of it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by kbetts:
By the way, once you have lymes disease it never goes away.  You didn't get it twice, you never got rid of it.
correct - it's systemic and it will return, eventually.  what fun.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Seems in the last five years ticks have been taking over Iowa. I played the antibotics for months several times in the past after getting a few bullseyes painted on my body by these bad boys. And i have tryed everything i could get my hands on to keep them at bay. I had a Army buddy tell me they would eat the heads off of match sticks while out in the fields to get the sulfur in their systems. So i researched and found this remedy i might try out this year. Anyone tryed it yet???     http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/Repel-Ticks-Sulfur-Remedy.aspx
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Spray your clothes with a pyrethrin spray once it dries it will not smell much. You only have to do it once for the season. All my clothes besides my outer layers go directly in the dryer NOT THE WASH. All the kids clothes go in the dryer after anytime in the woods not the laundry closet. Next time you get some ticks put one in a glass of water over night. It will be alive in the morning! Heat is what kills them for sure.

I had Erlicyosis in the past not lymes.

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
re: Mr. Vic, now that you mentioned it, I remember as a young boy, every spring my mother would buy a box of sulphur creme of tartar tablets and make me take two a day for a week, but this was for chiggers. Don't know if it works for ticks. Do know you will smell like sulphur for a while after the regimen.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Permethrin spray on you pants legs. Works for several days after it dries. No more smell than a human BO.

You can get rid of lyme's disease if you take the antibiotic course within a certain period of time after the bullseye rash. But, if you do not take it in time, you will deal with recurring flare ups for the rest of your life. Don't mess with deer ticks and use the permethrin spray.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Add another to the list of Lyme's. Never felt that bad in my life...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
Hmm: Either mind the wind, or risk a lifelong chronic disease.
I'd stick with permethrin, even if it smelled like a pack of wild dogs. Even better: IT WORKS.

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
We have not talked about the health risks of using the permethrin.  It can harm small animals when used in gardens and yards, heavy use could have long range complications if instructions are not followed carefully for children. I suppose it is better than exposing yourself or kids to Lyme's disease, but follow the instructions for personal and lawn use.  I wonder what the record for the number of ticks on an individual turkey hunter is.  I know of one that had over 30 attached and many more not attached.

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Sounds like most of you guys put the scent fears on the backburner when it comes to tick born diseases.....I think I will heed all the advice here and start using sprays. Although my personal case of Lyme is not one of the horror stories due to early detection. I realize I was lucky. There are definitely some stories out there where people have gotten severe neurological issues which last years. I will look into Sawyers Duranon with Permathrin.I will also take note of the health issues with Permathrin.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be spraying from here on in. Most deer in my neck of the woods only show me the whitest part of their body anyway, so why worry about them smelling me !!!        
   :bigsmyl:  

Trab
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Trab:
... Although my personal case of Lyme is not one of the horror stories due to early detection. I realize I was lucky. There are definitely some stories out there where people have gotten severe neurological issues which last years. ...
the bad news for you, me, and others that have been proven to have lyme's, is that you are a carrier of borrelia for life - it's systemic, chronic, and has not been known to permanently get flushed out of your system.    

you become a 'lyme zombie' and, as it is re-occurring right now with me for the 3rd time, it can flare up even after you think you've killed the bug.

here is the enemy, borrelia, magnified 400 times

here is a transmitter species

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Permethrine seems to be the cure... I have not used it yet, but have it for my clothes for next year... and on the scent issue, really, the wind is our only help there  : )
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
I had one on my upper back last year I didn't catch. One day I leaned against my work van and felt something. I pulled my shirt up and had half a red then purple then black Bachi Ball on my back with a tick right in the middle. I took the doxacylin but I still think it may have been to late. One of these days I'll get tested. I've been pulling a ton off shed hunting this season.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by mrpenguin:
Permethrine seems to be the cure...
you mean 'the shield', not the cure.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©