3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ticks
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I lived in the South (Ga, Fl, S.C.) before moving up to Southern IL. a few yrs ago. I was really surprised how much worse the ticks are up here than down there. They are terrible here. I've pulled about 18 to 20 off me this week, from going in the woods to trim some limbs so I could get climber up tree next season.

When it gets a hair warmer I can walk through the woods and constantly pick them off. Chiggers are just about as bad.

I'm going to apply Permanone to my camo today..spring gobbler opens tomorrow. Going to also spray deet and start taking a good shot of vinegar every day. I kept hearing people swear that it works and tried it last season and it did work for chiggers. I've tried dusting sulfur on my clothes and it seem to help also.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
I have used permanon in the past but can't seem to find it at Wally-World. Anyone know of another source?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Sawyers makes a good spray
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I had Lyme for 2 years before I was diagnosed, that was 16 years ago.  I have been on antibiotics for 14 years and 4 times on IV antibiotics.  Lyme will get into a cell which antibiotics can't enter to kill it.  Pulled 4 ticks off me 2 days ago.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Dood, take a garlic pill each day. After about a week, the ticks will stop wanting to bite you. Works for skeeters, too.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Spectre:
Dood, take a garlic pill each day. After about a week, the ticks will stop wanting to bite you. Works for skeeters, too.
um, nope, not for me.  neither does ingesting black walnut.  dunno about using sulphur, though.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by Spectre:
um, nope, not for me.  neither does ingesting black walnut.  dunno about using sulphur, though. [/b]
I been having pretty good luck with it. I work outside every day. A little diesel fuel on your boots works best---but STANK!
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I took garlic for several years, however where we hunt in Wi. the deer ticks are bad and they weren't impressed.
Permethrin is the only thing that seems to really work, I spray all my clothes very heavy, and rarely get a tick. I always hunt the wind, never been much of a believer in scent control. Flew back from LA one time with a guy who worked for one of the big scent companies and I asked him if they really work. He said they would take a product douse a person with it, plant them in the woods and turn their dog loose. In every case the dog ran right to them. I believe a deer's nose is like a hundred times better than a dog.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Here is my solution that seems to work for myself and household. Ticks fleas and chiggers get reall bad in S Florida at times. I do not know if this is proven or recomemnded but it is what I do as a fact of life. I buy essential oils that have been in use for as long as can be remmembered. I have had fleas and ticks and chiggers in almost plague fasion and found they are now imperviouse to repellants and insecticides in my area. Care must be taken when using essential oils they are very concentrated. I use LAVENDER all the time. Tea tree oil works excellent so does eucaliptus. I work outdoors and am in the thick of fleas ticks and chiggers ect. I put lavendar oil in my shampoo and make my own lavender soap. I put the oil in cotton balls all over my house when fleas and tick season comes. I thank God it works. Essential oils evaporate so I use a carrier oil, jajoba or grape seed when I want the oils to linger for some time. I use the oils on my pets since all other medication is now worthless. This works for me. As far as scent control you got me because you are going to smell like a wildflower. It is all natural so it may help to cover your own scent up. I was out of options when I tried the oils now I feel this is my only option. Again this is my experience I do not know how it will work for others.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I made a tour of the local bug dope suppliers Wally Land, alco, Bomgars,etc. no permethrin for clothes, just the garden and lawn variety. I sent for it from REI  outdoors.  I heard that the ticks are already out in force in the area and it has only been warm for a few days. If I see a tick out turkey hunting that is in range, I am going to shoot it with a blunt, or should I use the broadhead.  I hate ticks.  Would cutting a sidewalk of death and destruction with Yard Guard give one a tick free zone?  I am thinking here of the story I heard last night.  A local fellow took all of the precautions except when he had to drop his pants to heed the call.  He must have planted his bumm on a nest of them.  He was surprised to feel them running wind sprints in his underwear on his drive home.

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
if you've got it bad in NY then come down to NC and we've got it reeeeaal bad!  :D
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Yall got my skin crawling and itchin!

7 years ago, I was huntin hogs and came home with a tick between my shoulder blades. Found it the next morning. A few days later, I was being admitted to the hospital with rocky mountain spotted fever.  

I'm a lot more careful now. I use Coulston's Duranon tick spray. I buy it by the case! I also like to pour a cup or so of Apple Cider Vinegar into my camelbak bladder while I'm out in the woods for extended periods.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I don't get bothered too bad with ticks.

Chiggers'll cross a 4 lane highway to get to me though.
Otto

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
apple cider vinegar works to keep ticks and skeeters off. its natural and cheap. its also a natural diaretic, so watch how much you drink. eastern nc is loaded with ticks. you cant do anything in the woods without contact with them. ive pulled them off of me in the dead of winter . what is surprising about that is  it was less than 35 degrees outside, they just move slower
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I don't know how safe it really is and I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of using a dog tick collar around the outside of each pant leg/boot top (not on the bare skin, of course).

To remove ticks, the Tick Key really works great for me:   http://www.tickkey.com/   I always carry one when I'm in the woods.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Scott S,I have done that and I cut a 2" piece and put it on my boot years ago.I can't remember if it worked.And they do have a little smell to them.I will sat you should not put the frontline or any other liquid dog insect repellents on you skin at all.Or your clothes for that matter
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
For Frontline you need your master to start on your head just above your ears and then carefully run down the middle of the back making sure that it gets thru the fur and onto the skin.  Do not allow anyone to pet you until it has thoroughly dried. Additional spray may be needed for lower legs and long hairy ears.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
frontline and flea/tick collars are quite toxic.  why else would the frontline company tell you not to let it touch YOUR skin, but DO put it on your dog's skin where they can't lick it.  

so, put a toxic dog collar on my body?  um, no thanx, i'll pass on that.  i won't do that to my dogs, either.

canines are easy to diagnose and treat for lyme disease.  doxycycline kills it off in a week or less.  

tick heritage is millions of years old and haven't evolved much, if at all.  at least humans have evolved for the better.  so you'd think we smart humans would have the smarts by now for eliminating tick bite infectious borrelia.  doh.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Rob there is no money in a cure,they make more by treating it!
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Rob there is no money in a cure,they make more by treating it!
absolutely correct - and just one more reason the usa and the rest of the blue planet is going to h3ll in a hand basket.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©