3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not the normal broadhead question  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not the normal broadhead question
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by rover brewer:
speaking of broadheads,being a newbie I'm not sure where to post this question, but I want to hunt ground hogs. what should I use as a hunting tip?
Originally posted by rover brewer:
thanks for all the help, I'm surprised by all the replies, I think I'll order the talons they look nice and mean, will they fly like a field point,they look like they will.
Rover....if you are talking about a ground hog....like the one that predicts spring, he will LAUGH at that Talon when it bounces off.  Save yourself some grief and use a broadhead for ground hogs.  They are built perfect to take a blunt arrow shot better than most....they are like  a big catcher's mitt....and they will 'roll with the punch' from a blunted arrow, unless you make the perfect head shot.

I think Talons are great Small Game Heads no doubt...be carrying them this afternoon....but I DON'T consider Ground Hogs small game head compatible.

Email me your address and I'll send you a few old Broadhead just for those ground hogs.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
There is a difference in serration and SCALLOPING an edge. Serrations are more random, like saw teeth that grab and tear the material (although it's a fine tear) where scallops just look like waves, all the same, one after the other. Their idea is that although the tips of the scallops may get dull, the edges down in the "valleys" stay sharp because they are relatively protected from dulling. Kind of like a good steak knife never needs sharpening.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Simple, serrated edges cause more damage to cells close to the ones being cut. The smoother and sharper an edge the less cells get damaged by the same cut.
The trombosites in damaged cells are respomsible for blood coagulation. This is why a razor cut can bleed for hours while a seriously deep scrape by a sharp piece of metal or whatever will stop bleeding fairly fast.

Bottomline. BOTH will penetrate. BOTH will cause enough damge to kill. The sharper smoother edge will have a MUCH HIGHER chance of leaving a decent & lasting blood trail.

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Terry thanks for the offer I did some spring cleaning and have found some old broadheads,I am going to try the talons out for myself and for red feather, I've got 99 acres and plenty of groundhogs,will be sure to post my findings.
john 3:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©