3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What seats work best for turkey's no blind.  (Read 797 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What seats work best for turkey's no blind.
« on: April 27, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
What seat will work the best for hunting turkeys without a blind? I have a three legged stool but i think it will put me to high up to fool the birds eyesight. What are some proven options that work with trad gear.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What seats work best for turkey's no blind.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Double Bull makes a blind seat that won't sink into the ground, has a back rest and is a great height.  They are nearly indestructable to.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Jim, I have a bunch of plastic milk crates that I have aquired over the years.I use them for "portable" hunting seats.I can move them from place to place with little trouble.They get your butt about a foot off the ground.....probly just about what your looking for.   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
I've used my "Niff T Seat" for years on both birds and deer. I think there are 5 different height adjustments including one which is only a few inches high. Google for niff t seat.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I used one similar to the double bull seat with the adjustable legs all the way out combined with my ghillie suit.  Fooled a gobbler ten yards away.

Just got to wait till he struts with his rear end to you to make a move.  Be patient. If he is strutting in front of you he will turn around eventually.

Another tip I would give is if you use a hen decoy, have the hen so she is facing you.  The tom will try and strut in front of her and give you a better opportunity.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
I am a big guy, 6'2" and heavy; so I like a comfortable seat.  I like a 5 gal plastic bucket with a swivel seat.  I camo it with burlap and do the inside also to prevent noise.  I like to carry something to eat or drink besides some camo cloth and clothespins for holding the cloth to cedar trees.  I use a rope for the handle to reduce noise.  Not too fancy, but works for me.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
How 'bout that one Dean Torges has for trad bowhunting, that anyone can make at home ? A little piece of plywood and some cord. You can put it on about any tree and adjust the height anywhere you want it. Looks simple and quick to make.

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Flinch where did you get the swivel seat for your bucket?
 I USED ONE once during deer season,but I had spray painted it flat green.Two weeks later I COULD STILL SMELL THE PAINT.I figured if I could smell it the deer could.

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
I use a ice fishing bucket seat. I picked it up at  cabelas a few years ago. It's actually a 5 gal. bucket with a nice padded camo seat attached to the top. The side of the bucket is wrapped with a nylon camo cloth that has a few pockets to hold extra calls and such. The top even comes of the store stuff down inside the bucket if you want.
I reckon so

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I use a umbrella that is made to go on a tree. It has a cutout to fit on a tree. I put the cutout on the ground and have a half moon to hide behind. I use knee pads and just kneel on the ground. Hap

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
I got my swivel seat at Cabela's.

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
Torges seat is hard to beat if you have a tree. If you would like to sit in the middle of a cornfield, then I'd go with the niff t seat or better yet, one of the other suggestions.  

You can make the Torges seat for nothing at all in about half an hour. Only drawback is you need a tree.

You have to balance yourself just a bit with the niff t seat. That's its drawback. But if you lean against a tree, then no balancing is needed, but you might as well made yourself a torges seat in that case for no cash and 30 minutes time.

The niff t seat outshines all of them if you want instant sitting ability without even knowing that you are carrying it.

Comfort is subjective in either case.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Jim, I have a bunch of plastic milk crates that I have aquired over the years.I use them for "portable" hunting seats.I can move them from place to place with little trouble.They get your butt about a foot off the ground.....probly just about what your looking for.    :thumbsup:  
Chuck, you're one thrifty mother...I tell you! that's a great idea, though  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Chuck do you have trouble with squirrels chewing them up? Around here anything plastic is not long for this world because the squirrels love to chew the stuff.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
I am using the Double Bull seat mentioned above with good results.  I also use the Torges seat, but mostly for deer hunting.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Yep, I like my double bull seat too.  Works great in my blind and works great for ground hunting without my blind also. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Niffty seat also makes a swivel seat that straps on the the tree. I put a small ratchet strap on it and it stays in place well.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
Summit make a seat that goes with their "Comfort" system,, It can be used separately, pack easy, comfy, but does requires a tree.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Jim, I never had a problem with sguirrels chewing on them. It may be because I "camo" paint them because they do come in some "funky" colors LOL!!!!!

Alex, I don't think my wife would agree with you   :rolleyes:  I seem to go from one extreme to the other LOL.Either I'm buying "crap" that I really don't need,Or I scrounging around looking for "treasures"!!!!! I'm a bono-fide "pack-rat", Quilty as charged!!!!! I'm always saving "junk" just in case,BECAUSE....."I may need that some day"   ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
All Terrain Seat.  Check 3-Rivers.  A little noisy on set up & no back rest.  Ball bearing swivel is quiet when weight is loaded on it, but noisy when not.  Three adjustible legs w/ disks on the bottom for softer ground.  Optional seat foam.  I think it is 300# rated.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©