3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing inserts  (Read 233 times)

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing inserts
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Being relatively new to arrow making and not taking the time to gather the proper tools, I made a mistake that now has become a pickle and would appreciate your help.

I glued in my inserts with goat tuff glue because I thought I had my arrows pretty much set, but then I traded for a new bow and find that I need to put some brass inserts in.

Can anyone clue me in as to how to remove inserts that have been glued in like this?

Thanks,
Jethro
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline DEERDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing inserts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Take the nock out of arrow and use a drill bit almost same size as inside of shaft slide in into shaft hold over your head and swing down as to use weight of drill bit as a slide hammer in shaft. This may take a a few swings, but it works.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
DANGER DANGER. Both the insert and Bit can become flying objects ricocheting off cement walls and garage floors.  It is the method I use just with a lot of care.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline DEERDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Is there any other way?
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
They do come out fast with knocking them out with a drill bit method.Thats why a wad up a big blanket to catch the insert and bit when it comes flying out.
You can try to put in a field point and heat the point only and try to pull the insert out.
But sometimes you will destroy the end of the shaft or it won't budge at all.Then the only way is to cut the shaft shorter or buy new shafts.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Are they aluminum or carbon shafts?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Carbon shafts
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline DEERDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Be easy with the heat. It really messes up the carbon. The blanket sound like a good ides.

Fred Bear

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Keep a jar of water handy. If you heat just...now I say JUST the field point screwed into the insert... you can do it gently with a vice grip on the point and keep trying to twist it as it heats just the field point...Soon as it breaks loose, then dip shaft in the cool water.

Some epoxy will NOT let loose. I had some 2 part I bought from Kinsey Outdoors, sister of Kinsey Archery. Won't budge. Nertz!  Don't know the stuff you're using at all.

One shaft is worth the experiment... just keep the coolant handy!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
DEERDOG, I am going to try the drill bit. It sounds to easy.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Can you put the inserts in from the nock end an push them down with a coat hanger or a piece of brake line.I never had to use inserts weights but it may save you some trouble.Just put a little hot melt on the end of the insert and measure the distance on the hanger to assure it hits bottom.Just a thought.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
The field point and heat method has always worked fine foe me.Be sure you quench the shaft as soon as you get the insert out.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Duct tape an old sock or heavy ziplock bag to the arrow when flinging the drill bit and insert for safety and loss prevention.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Ya know goat tuff makes a debonder, but I have yet to try it, anybody try the debonder?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Moto...only question I'd have is if it disolves Goat Tuff, as with any chemical used..will it affect the resins in the carbon arrow?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I have taken old inserts out that were glued in with heat. Never apply heat from a torch or heat gun to a carbon shaft,it will destroy the shaft. Get a piece of threaded rod 8/32 from a hardwear store and drill out a small length of dowel about 3/4 inch by 6 inch for a handle. Epoxy the threaded rod into the handle and you have a insert tool. I heat the end of the rod up and thread it into the glued insert and let it set for about 30 seconds and in most cases you can pull/unscrew the insert out. I replace all my inserts with hot glue and never have a insert come out. I use the kimsha hot glue that 3-rivers sells.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Just a thought but if you need to add weight to the front of the arrow why not just get some heavier screw in points or some steel screw in tapers for your broadheads, and leave the old inserts in?

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I must be lucky.  I have been using heat for years and never had a problem.  I only heat the field point and pull the insert out as soon as it will come and then dip it in water.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©