3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help with noisy bow  (Read 237 times)

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with noisy bow
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I took delivery last week of my first traditional bow (Dwyer Dauntless). While practicing I noticed a noise like wood under stress or two tree branches rubbing together when I drew to shoot an arrow. I found that when I would draw without an arrow( no, not dry firing) the noise went away. The arrow rest has what appears to be the "hoop" side of velcro glued on. Being new to trad bows, I would like some advice on the best way to remove the current surface and suggestions on replacement surfaces. Also,what's on there covers only about 3/4" horizontally and 2" vertically, would I be better off covering a larger area?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with noisy bow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
On my bows I have leather or sealskin and use barge cement to attach them.I cover the whole rest(Horizontal) and 1 1/2 of the strike plate(vertical)They make a number of materials for rest.some of the other guys may have other options for you.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
A lot of guys and bowers are using the "loop" side of the velcro not the "hook" side.  The "hook" side is the plastic side with defined rows not the "furry" side.

It works well and is attached with the adhesive backing; so it should just peel off.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I said hoop, really meant loop, but it appears to have some type of adhesive also. Just afraid it might damage the surface removing it. Guess I can try to peel it and see what happens.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Dennis, you're not going to hurt the surface removing the velcro.  I'll bring some leather up this weekend and we can put it on your bow and see if it works better.  Let me know if I can bring anything else that will help.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
I've found that velcro doesn't last so I went to leather. After getting the old stuff off I clean the area with alcohol and than put on the new with double sided tape.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
i typically use velcro loop side for the the arrow rest and a piece of really thin leather for the arrow plate side.  really thin leather or teflon tape for the arrow plate allows for the most centershot.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
I'm with Rob on this one.

cbcrow....If you are wearing out the loop side Velcro pretty quickly then you need to look into your bow/arrow tune. I seldom change mine more than once every other year or more and I shoot a LOT.
The stuff is just about bomb proof... make sure you get the "Industrial grade" stuff at WalMart.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Like Charlie said, if your wearing it fast, check you arrow and bow tune.  Most of the time it comes from too stiff a shaft wacking the shelf.

I change mine every year if it needs it or not.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Charlie, I guess I didn't phrase my answer right. The word I should have used was durable. Leather is far more durable than velcro. I change my leather when needed, usually 3-5years dependent on amount of wear. I guess it boils down to preference.  :archer:

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
i personally use kangaroo skin its so soft and durable

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. The velcro on the plate is worn smooth and shiny. Arkybob is my mentor and I'll let him lead me through it when he comes up for Spring turkey.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I just use the Velcro dots. I can just stick a new one on without cutting and bam. I do not need to change it often though.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©