3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stands  (Read 1411 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stands
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Yes, it is personal preference.  I personally use a Chippewa Wedge loc stand and I personally think there is no equal to it.  Also, I personally think that there is nothing that a climber stand will offer that a strap on cannot equal, and plenty the other way around.  But, of course, that is only my opinion.
ChuckC

Offline TC in IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
Ditto on the CWL!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Climbers aren't much good here in south -central Jersey , my favorutes in no particular order are :

Screaming Eagle
      Screaming Eagle
          and
      Screaming Eagle
     My opinion , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
For a climbing stand for bowhunting I bought a Lone Wolf climber top that I use with the bottom from my Summit Viper.  So I guess my favorite climbing stand for bowhunting is a Lone Summit or a Summit Wolf.   ;)   It actually works very well.  I really prefer hanging stands and the Lone Wolf Alpha is hard to beat for my hang and hunt stand.  I won't leave it in the tree due to the cost.

Doug

Offline BigHink66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou.  

I am always in the minority on this issue, but when the features are compared between several different stands the loggy comes out on top for my purpose.

Good Price
Large Platform
Light Weight
No Bar
Rock Solid and won't shift

I would consider the lone wolf for its packability, but I intend to spend most of my time sitting and hunting out of it.  Not carrying it.

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Summit open shot for me.  Light, quiet, and very stable.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I use hang ons 99% of the time I am in a tree stand, ( I have 9 of them) but the only climber I will use is the lone wolf
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Lone wolf is now coming out with a ladder stand. Should be nice and light for packing in. Just another option. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Between all the leases we hunt in Alabama in Tennessee we hang about 60 to 70 stands every year. I have had just about every stand out on the market at one time or the other. My favorites are Lone Wolf and Gorilla hang ons. For climbers I prefer Summit bushmaster, openshot, and broadhead stands, as well as the Lone Wolf climbers. Just my preferences.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
# 1 lonewolf and #2 Screaming Eagle, just my opinion!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
The Lone Wolf is supposed to be the best. I have an older Summit Bushmaster. It doesn't fold flat, but the seat is the most comfortable I've ever used. It also has the open front.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
I'll put in a plug for Ol Man Vision. The front of the stand can be turned up(for guns), turned down and used as a foot rest(open front), or taken off completely for a totally open front. It is extremely comfortable and you can sit high enough on the seat to shoot to the side without having to stand. I had my first one for over 10 years and bought another last year(very durable).

By the way, you can buy 2 of them for the price of a high-end Summit or Lone Wolf.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
I have a Summit viper climber. Its very comfortable but noisy when putting it on a tree. I am thinking of trying a Treesuit this year.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou XL Climber. I have two one thats one private property permanent with screw in steps and one that stays with me for other hunts. I also have an old loc on spirit climber that is very small so small that if I wear my big Sorel Boots they hang off the edge of the stand . The Loc on I used for years and just used to hug the tree without a climbing aid. No more I saw the light!The Loggy with the climbing aid the plastic coated braided cable with the locking cylinders is the way to go for me.It has a 20x36 platform weighs 17 lbs without the climber. Cabela's has them for 230.00 without the climbing aid I believe.Oh and wear a safety harness no matter what stand you chose!!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
for a climber I like timber tall
very light weight
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
PSE, sadly, ol man is gone...gorilla bought em. They changed the design some and increased the weight and price. I agree though, good stand, very comfortable.

I have an API Grand Slam...although heavy, it is absolutely the most comfortable stand I've ever been in. This is THE stand I'm in when I hunt the rut cause I can sit in it all day long without problems.

I use mostly hang on's now for 80% of my treestand hunting, but if I were to buy another climber it would probably be a Lone wolf sit and climb. Although pricey, I used one for a weekend and thougt it the best design I had been in.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ux monster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Lone wolf,no contest.The best stands on the market.I use 3 hang ons with sticks and one hand climber,by far the best stands i have ever used.
I hunt because thats the way its supposed to be not hunting upsets the balance of my nature.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
hello JC, how are you and the family? OL' MAN IS BACK, we sold a lot of them last season. Lower price than before and still a good stand. Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bilbow Bagem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
I used hang on stands for at least twenty years.  About three years ago I startd using ladder stands.  They offer a more stable shooting platform and you can acutally move around enough on them to shoot nearly 360.  I even bought a couple of two-man ladder stands.  The exta room to maneuver and stash gear makes them a real pleasure to hunt from. The other big advantage over hang-on stands is that you are able to get away from the tree and have considerably more room to swing the bow.  You also have the added benefit of not haveing to find a straight tree. They can be a little bit of a tussel for one man to set up and I may have to make two trips...one for the ladder sections and one for the platform but I really think it is worth it.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
JC, Ol Man is baacckk!! I purchased one last fall. They were gone but are back to producing treestands both steel and aluminum models. The cool thing is, the price of the stands is about the same as it was 10 years ago.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©