3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting the wife started- Thank you masters of the barebow  (Read 130 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting the wife started- Thank you masters of the barebow
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
Well about a year ago my wife said she wouldn't mind having a bow to shoot. My negligent and foolish self didn't jump on the opportunity. Well me and her dad have started shooting a lot more, watching videos and having a real great time lately and she reminded me today that she asked for a bow. I'm not  making this mistake again!

Where do I start? How do I figure out what weight she needs for just target shooting, how do I get draw length without having a bow she can pull back, and what is a good over length bow for a sweet little lady that is just squeezing out 5' tall and could easily slide through an 8 wire cattle fence?

BTW- Thank you masters of the barebow. This is what lit the fire again. There was a comment on the second dvd about how sad it is that kids get involved with sports that can't keep up their whole life, and archery is not only something for the rest of your life but for the whole family. We got to talking about how much fun it would be to have the whole family outside shooting around the ranch and it just makes sense.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline NW Trad Wife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting the wife started- Thank you masters of the barebow
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Take her to an archey shop and have them measure her draw lenght.  If not thne have her try your lightest bow.  I bet she only pulls 25 inches.   I started with a 35lb bow ane now pull 46.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the info. What is a good weight for shooting out to 25 yards? She won't be hunting just shooting at targets. If you get a light enough carbon can you send it 25 yards pretty level from a 30lb bow?
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
Maybe just start with 10-15 yards.  But if she likes to shoot 25 should be fine.  My wife just started shooting in the past few weeks.  She draw about 30lb with less than 24 inch but her aluminum arrows (385 grains) flew well.

Offline Mulybux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
My wife has been shooting a compound for a little over a year. I just acquired a 28# Bear Cub for her. At her draw length of about 26 inches, the poundage becomes about 22 or 23# and that works for her. She's really enjoying it!

Welcome to your wife!
Hunt with your children, not for them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©