3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beaver with bowfishing gear?  (Read 610 times)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
beaver with bowfishing gear?
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
So I am thinking about shooting a beaver for a landowner and wanted to know if you guys have ever used bowfishing gear to do it?  My thought was put a broadhead on the tip and leave the metal finger that jigs back behind the broadhead to snag as I pull it in.  What do you guys think?

Then I want to know how I turn the tail into a handle wrap? Is there a product that I can tan it with?
Allan

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: beaver with bowfishing gear?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Might want to check with your local fish and game department first of all to see if you can take beaver this time of year.

If you can hunt beaver right now, I would think your setup would work well.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
".....to snag as I pull it in."

I think you're going to go water-skiing   :D  

They are  very  strong powerful animals.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I read the title and had a moment!.But I agree about checking with the game department.Some animals are trapping only.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
You do NOT...repeat NOT want to do it.  I've seen it done once and seriously thought the beaver was going to come into the boat.  It REALLY ticks them off.  Penetration is not good...they are tough animals.  But if you do it, don't use a fish point.  I would use a normal broadhead and hope I caught something vital and it died quickly.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Be careful, never done it, never seen it done, but I've heard some real horror stories. If you do decide to do it, carry a gun with you so you can keep it from killing you when it crawls into your boat.

I've also heard they can bite a fish arrow in half...

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I gotta agree with DaleinOhio. I've done it. Neither the beaver nor me enjoyed it much.

Opinions will differ, but heres mine.  Dont use bowfishing equipment. Use your regular setup, with a big broadhead. Catch that beaver coming into shallow water...you can get pretty close to em a lot of times.

Deliver a deadly shot, and he wont go far. A poorly hit beaver is NOT something you wanna be pulling in toward you on a string.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
If you do do it please get it on video for a reference to those who attempt it in the future.Just a hint beavers are chainsaw's with fur!,look at the trees it chews down and look at your leg.Then ponder that thought.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Here in WV its illegal to shoot beaver anytime you can only trap them during season.
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I've shot beaver with gun and bow,  and they definatly take some killin'.  I've trapped them with conibear traps for land owners in exchange for hunting priveledges for years.  They're tough, they will bite, and they'll likely dive to the bottom and snag your rig.  good luck...sounds like fun!

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
By the way...do check with F&G.  in MS they're a nuisance animal and it's wide open all the time

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Their vitals are really high, their heart/lungs are on line with their shoulders.  Hit two inches below that and you get liver.  Use a very sharp broadhead, they have a very thick hide.  Bill

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Ga-wide open all the time...
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
As far as the tail goes, Fillet both sides off and scrape down to a thin,EVEN, thickness and tack to a board and let air dry. You can then apply to bow just like a rawhide wrap. As for how to aquire your tail, TRAP IT!(when legal to do so).
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Sounds like a winning submission on Americas Funniest Home Videos...

After seeing there teeth, I would think twice.

:laughing:    :laughing:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I saw a muskrat taken on bowfishing equipment and he didn't fight much, BUT... they aren't near as big and tough as a beaver. Please video, could win you some money.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I doubt you'd ever win anything with a video. Shows like America's Funniest Videos don't use footage where serious harm is done to the participant and I am willing to bet if you use a bowfishing set up you'll be making a trip to the ER.

Wisdom comes with knowledge and I congratulate you on seeking it out.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I dont know about these guys but I am dumb enough to do something like that.  I would leave my quiver full of extra arrows on there incase I put in a bad shot and get a pissed of beaver.  Then you can shoot it again.  If you can I think it would be easier to trap it.  If a fool like me can trap them, then you surely can!
  I just got my first one this winter, and I am currently taking care of the hide and tail.  The tail is like pure cartilage, and fleshing that thing is a pain.  I have done alot of different types of hides and a beaver in general is just kinda a pain.  But it is worth it so far.  I would say the best bet is to tan it . . . that will make it so much easier to work with verses air drying it, that and if you accidentally dont clear off enough tanning it will not stink like air drying.  both will work though-  Good luck!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Being from Ontario I can advise you that this is not legal. The beaver is a furbearer and may only be taken by means of legal trapping. The landowner may have some rights if damaging his crops/livelyhood but let him do it. I don't advise doing something illegal and then telling everyone in the world that you did it (ie: on internet). You might as well video it and put it on Yuu Boob as well.
hunt it

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
That is kinda suprising that they are considered a nusiance down south and not up north there in Canada.  Here in MD we can not shoot them we have to trap them during the set season.  Even the government nusiance trappers have to trap them I think?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©