3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Elk Draw  (Read 342 times)

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado Elk Draw
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Well I just made it in time.Today is the deadline to put in for a cow tag in Colo. I am going to make another trip up there, it's only been three years since I got to go last. If I don't draw a cow it don't matter I will still have an arrow for a Bull. got lots of time to get nice and deadly with my (new to me Super Kodiak @65lbs) Anybody else put in??

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Elk Draw
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
What area are you hunting?  I put in for an area that I know I will not draw, just trying to build preference points. Will get OTC (over-the-counter) either sex tag and have to hunt the more over-hunted areas.
Barry
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
PP only

OTC for 2010

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
I have 10 PPs for elk, ph, and 7 for deer.  I am done putting in for points.  I wish they would bank points.  But that won't happen for another 5 years at least!

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Another PP in the bank and a local area tag second choice for me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
17 for elk.  Thought I'd draw the last 5 years.  This year I hope I don't because of other hunts, so I probably will.  I can attest to preference point creep.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
WOW! 17 pts...I now have 3 and will bank a bunch more and continue to hunt OTCs until I get ready to draw. Good luck to you all!
Mike Davenport

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Just barely got mine in last night as well. You would think I would have it down by now but it seems every year I wait till the last minute.I got it in at 10 pm so I had a couple of hours to spare
Happy Hunting in Sept.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I got mine done a few weeks ago, have a slight chance of drawing elk and antelope this year.  Put in something a little different for deer this year so there is a chance on that too. Of course there is the very very slight chance of drawing moose and sheep too.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I got in for PP, hope to make it out this fall for an OTC hunt.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Put in for my 16th elk point Monday.Now  with the hybrid draw and 5 pref points you can draw a unit that takes 10 or more points. 20% of all the licences go into the hybrid draw. A kick in the teeth for guys like bowmania and myself.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I messed up and didn't get my point in. Too much going on and it got away from me.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
This point system needs a serious overhaul...without giving the shaft to guys that have been saving points for 10,15 even 20 years toward what ends up being a hunt of a lifetime for most of us.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Got mine in yesterday also.  Did the online applications.  PP for elk,deer, p-goat, sheep and Mt. goat.  Did use a 2nd for Deer for unit 80/81.

Doing the online I also, bought my combo Hunt/fish, turkey tag and habitat stamps.  Paid for the overnight and these arrived today.  

Nothing like forking out almost 700 beans for PP.  But you have to play the game.

Mike

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I'm new to the points game so please excuse my ignorance. Why would you guys accumulate 15+ points? How many do you need for the hunt you want?

I like to know I'm going hunting every fall so OTC is good for me. I'm just trying to accumulate enough points to try out a different GMU while I can still backpack my camp into a wilderness area.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Well Lost Arra when I started banking points the GMU I'm interested in took 7 pp. With point creep it is now 18-19 as of last year. With the hybrid draw9new this year) someone with 5 points now can draw before me with 16. Hope this helps.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I put in for a limited either sex.

Regarding points: the probelm I see with the system is people banking years of hopes and dreams along with the points,  then becoming sour when those dreams seem to always be one point away.
I know it becomes important to many of us when we "think" we should by now be able to hunt a dream area, but life isn't like that.
I won't put my eggs in that basket.

Archery hunting is fun. And there is plenty of good country to have fun in without it being one of the units that everyone can't seem to get drawn for. There are 300+ class bulls taken in areas that have nothing to do with lots of points if its a big rack that we are after.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Sorry in advance for the rant...;.
I cant stand this system, It seems all we do here in colorado is accumulate points For years and years.  Sure we can hunt over the counter areas among the thousands (literally) of us but I'm finding it to be the Biggest waste of time.  Lots of people have "honey holes"  or favorite spots but were all fighting for the same thing just to get a glimpse of an elk.  Iv'e even seen guys fighting in parking areas about who is going to hunt where, because they have been going to a certain area for years etc... IT'S PUBLIC GROUND!!!
Moose.... Ya good luck, I'll get my license when I'm too old to walk or dead for that matter and I'm 37 now.  I dont think it's worth donating $4 to the DOW for every animal I "might get the chance to hunt" for the next 30 years and by that time who knows what the cost of a tag will be..
I would rather save up the $$$ and go to Canada where I CAN have a better opportunity at a bigger moose, while I'm young enough to remember it.  And Pay the extra $$$ it will cost me to hunt on Private land here in Colorado For a decent shot at an elk.
The Hybrid Draw that Paul is talking about is really going to help older guys out that have been banking years worth of points and arent quite there yet..
Good luck to everybody!!

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I sent in for my 9th point this year. Out of staters pay the $3.00 app & $25.00 if you just put in for a point.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I am like the rest of you guys I'm a nonresident and just can't justify the 25 bucks for a preference point that I will always be behind on. When I would have say, 7 points the unit I want to hunt will have jumped the point requirements and set me back that much further. So it is OTC for me. Where I go I see great shooters every time, so I will stick with that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©