3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2Blade is frustrated with 3 blade  (Read 459 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
2Blade is frustrated with 3 blade
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Took the plunge and bought some 125gr Snuffers. Read on what I should need so I got a 6" Bastard file from 3Rivers Archery since this is what Magnus said to use, im wondering if I should have went with the 12". I watched Dale Karch shapen a Woodsman online so I figured I could do the Snuffer. No luck but this is my first time at trying to sharpen a head. Could some of you more experenced guys give me some techniques? I just hope I didnt ruin a broadhead!!   :knothead:   In a pinch I could have my Uncle go at with a stone but id like to learn to do it myself. Thanks guys
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2Blade is frustrated with 3 blade
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Go to the How to section on the tradgang.com link above in there Charlie Lamb does a good demo on sharpening broadheads.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Real easy to put too much pressure on the file.  Mark the blades with a sharpie so you can see what you are really doing.  H

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Once you get the basic bevel on the blade (use a marker like Ground Hunter says) start getting lighter and lighter with the stokes. When you finish you should barely be touching the heads. Gary

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
click here for 3 blade sharpening tips  
This is Charlie Lamb's post that is on the "How to" section for Wensel Woodsmans.  It will work for Snuffers.  When i have problems sharpening a 3 blade  it is usually cause i'm using too much pressure.  i use a fine stone or fine diamond after the file (I do use a 12 inch file).  i always finish up by using backward strokes on a piece of cardboard. i am sharpening handicapped, and this works for me.  Practice, then practice some more.  You will get it!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm gonna shoot 160 snuffers this year and found it much easier to skip the method where you lay a file flat on the table.  Not sure why, but just could not get it to shave that way.  Instead, I just run the file from back to front mounted on an arrow. This method took me no longer than 5 min per head out of the package!

+1 on the sharpie!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
It's not you, it's the file.  12" makes Snuffers much easier, and 16" is even better.  Once you get the bigger file the advice above is all spot on.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks all. I tried the sharpie thing and it worked but my blades seem to have a "flat" top on them rather then sharp. Not sure if that has to do with the angle maybe?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Yup still got a flat rounded top on the blade no matter what I do. Think I may have messed up this head!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I have a setup with 2 round files set in plastic side by side to hollow grind the blades/then file lightly and finally a ceramic to finish it off. This works best for me.
Good luck!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
The Snuffers come with arched bevels...and IMO, you MUST get all the bevels flat.  The best way is with a belt sander....once the bevels are flat and even....easy as pie. Although Charlie's method works well also.

If you want, you can send them to me and I'll get them flat for you and send them back.  I'll even sharpen up a couple of them so you can see how they can be.

Just email me.... [email protected]
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Thank you Terry ill email you when I get out of work!!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Coach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
When using a belt sander what grit do you use and when all is said and done how many grains of weight do you think may be lost due to changing the bevels?  Thanks, Coach

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I don't know what grit it is to tell you the truth...but I'll see if I can find out.

I don't know how many grains, but I figure I put it right back on with the glue.

Oh...BTW, I have never had a bhead get pulled from my hand with a belt sander, and the bevels  always come off flat when I'm through with them on the belt sander.  I do wear safty glasses though as I always do when running a belt sander...or any sander for that matter.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
I recently saw Monty Browning sharpen a snuffer on a bench grinder, he used a specific size of wheel for hollow grinding..I think it was 4inch??? I should have paid more attention..

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
I just pulled up an old thread for you - see the "Sharpening Snuffers" thread.

My method is similar to Monty's - 6 inch medium grit wheel then finish off as I detail in the thread above.

We also sharpen them like Terry on the belt sander as well - the only difference is you get a hollow grind on the wheel.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be!  Once you get the hang of it sharpening Snuffers is a breeze.....and don't worry - you won't ruin the head with a file unless you file it until the whole thing is a pile of shavings!

As far as worrying about taking off weight sharpening and etc etc - I'm still looking after 30 years at this game and I've never met the guy that can shoot good enough to tell the difference!

Ryan

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I'll see if i can take some pictures of how I sharpen one with just a 12" file

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Got the email and replied 2Blade....I'll be on the look out for them and get them fixed up for ya.......that is if I don't get hit by a train.  I don't know of anyone that's got hit by a train, but accidence can happen.  

And Driving is a lot more dangerous that sharpening Bheads!!!    :biglaugh:          :biglaugh:       :biglaugh:

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
This is how I sharpen a snuffer with just my file. Get the sharpie and color the bevels on all 3 sides.

Hold the snuffer like so, and this is when you can apply a good amount of pressure and you can go back and forth on the file until all the sharpie marks are gone and all 3 sides. This is what it should look like on all 3 sides once done removing your sharpie marks.

Once that is done you will start the snuffer at the front of the file, holding the snuffer the way I did in the picture above. drag the snuffer from the front of the file to the back of the file with the snuffer pointed in the direction in the below pics. It is extremely important that you are only using enough pressure to only hold the snuffer on the file until it reaches the back of the file.

This is my random sequence of strokes from the front of the file to the back that works for me. I will do 30 LIGHT strokes than rotate until all 3 sides get 30 LIGHT strokes each. Then I will do 20 strokes than rotate until all 3 sides get 20 LIGHT strokes. Then I will do 15 LIGHT strokes than rotate until all 3 sides get 15 LIGHT strokes. This is where I change it up. I do a 10 count, except I rotate after 1 stroke on each side until I count off to 10. Below is what my snuffer will do to my leg hair after my 10 count. I am sure you can then go strop it on leather or an ultrafine stone, but I only have a file and can get it to shave with that. Sorry the pic is blurry but there is alot of hair on that snuffer, trust me

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Nice offer TG.  I don't think you can get them as sharp as using a Snuffer Tamer.  The Tamer changes the angle to more of a 2 blade angle.  With that being said I don't use a Tamer because you have to take off too much material.  May shorten the blade by a 16th or 32cn.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©