3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can you? have you?  (Read 339 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
can you? have you?
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
can you o rhave you hunted with a stone point you found?  I have an old stone point i found when making a garden years ago its sharp cut my finger on it more than ounce.  i was thinking of trying to make an arrow with it and killing with it ounce again.  can it or should it be done?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: can you? have you?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
That would be very cool. I'd reckon you should go for it, if it is legal in your state, and the broadhead has integrity.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
That would be very cool. I'd reckon you should go for it, if it is legal in your state, and the broadhead has integrity.
You bet that would be very cool
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
I like it.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
That's a very intriguing idea, but I probably wouldn't hunt with it.  It might be sharp enough to cut your finger, but after being in the ground for hundreds or thousands of years I kinda doubt it's hunting sharp.  And there's also the issue of how it's made:  I hope you've got a fine, sleek, well-made old point, but many of the old ones were real clunkers.  Any chance of pics?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I remember seeing a post where someone did just that and killed a deer with an authentic point.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
If you think it is sharp enough to kill with, I would go for it.  Trad hunting to me is all about getting back to the older days and there is no better way to remember our past than to use a part of it to hunt and gather meat.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Heres my collection of recent finds from down south.I cant get myself to keep my eyes off the ground when Im out in the wild anymore.These are all broken but if I found a good point I wouldnt dare risk breaking it.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
i dug out the head to take a look at it before work its much smaller than i remembered it i will no tbe hunting with it still someday i would like to put it on an arrow for display i will try and get a pic up when i have the time

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I have been collecting points and other Indian artifacts for over 30 years. It is leagal to surface hunt in my state as long as its not goverment land. I have quite a large collection. A couple of years ago I decided to try and kill a deer with one as I had always wanted to but just never gave it a try. I sorted through hundreds of points before I found 4 or 5 that would work. The base had to be thin enough to mounjt into the shaft, correct size and weight to fly true etc. I finally mounted 4 of them on cedar shafts and did some late season hunting with them. I shot a mature doe at about 15 yards and had about a 75 yard recovery.  I was using an old Ben Pearson 55 lb. takedown recurve. It was a very rewarding experience.  :archer2:
bolong

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Hi All,

Yes, I have an original flint head in pristine condition.  No, I've never hunted with it.  I might.
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline potlikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Interesting idea, but remember when native Americans where introduced to steel it didn't take long for them to transition.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
I have used originals after I resharpened the edge...Go for it !!! Take careful shots at reasonable distance ... Jeff  One other point to make .... stoned points have been used more than any point in history ... we all are here because of them ...hmmmm  Metal points are very new on earth Time !!!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I'm sure you could resharpen an artifact to hunt with. I keep all my artifacts as artifacts and get my hunting points from friends that knapp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Test it on a coon or opossum,Maybe a squirrel.   :archer2:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Slewfoot62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Bowmaster12 tell me what kind of point you have in mind to mount on an arrow and I either have an original arrowhead you can have or my freind will beat you one out. He makes them out of different materials . One he makes out of old TV picture tube that would be a nice lethal point.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©