3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: History lesson help, please: Art Young and Polar Bear  (Read 348 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
History lesson help, please: Art Young and Polar Bear
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
My Compton's book tells me that Art shot two polar bears, by stalking; however, my copy of "David Goes to Greenland" only mentions the one sow being shot by Art from the boat as it swam. Please understand that I have only the utmost respect for Art, and that I appreciate that his world was different to ours, and that he was a pioneer; so I don't mind about the boat thing. What I am wondering is, does anybody know more details or have photographs? The only anecdote I have is about the single polar bear sow shot from the boat as it swam, and there is a photo of that bear in Putnam's book. In the Compton's book, his first bear scored 31 1/16, and his second bear scored 30 4/16. Both were taken via stalking in August of 1926 (during the Putnam voyage, I expect). So, at this stage, it isn't matching up to me, unless there is more information out there. Can anybody shed light on this?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: History lesson help, please: Art Young and Polar Bear
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Any historians about?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
come on someone has the answer give it up to Ben bd

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Neat stuff Ben, I'd love to learn myself.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
John3 found this link (thank you!) to a Cliff Huntington article:

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/history/ArtYoung.html

Here is the main quote pertaining to my question:

In 1926 Young embarked on an expedition to Greenland with young George P. Putnam on the Morrissey, captained by Bob Bartlett. It was on this voyage, well documented by young Putnam in his book David Goes To Greenland (1926), that Young takes both walrus and polar bear. These animals were taken while swimming, a fact that does nothing to diminish the accomplishments of Young during this expedition. After reading Young's rendition of the episode with the walrus, little doubt should remain as to the fairness of challenging a walrus from a small skiff with bow and arrow. "Savagely the walrus clinched the bow of our boat between his front flippers and with a decided snap of his head plunged those tusks through the side of the boat not very far from my shins. He quickly jerked his weapons out of the ragged holes and like a flash swung his head and tusks in a most dexterous manner to the right and crashed the two long ivories through the other side of the launch. I grabbed the lance and made a jab at the raging beast, but, as luck would have it, the cutting blade was on the other end of the handle. Not wishing to risk turning the lance around after having seen how fast the wrecker could work, I used all my strength to keep the weakening, fighting monster away from our craft."
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Joe St. Charles wrote an article for TBM about the walrus 15 years or so ago, but I don't think even Cliff has the low down on the 2nd Polar Bear...
Lucas Kent

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
I was going to mind my own business about this subject, but I done been called out.   :)

You are correct Lucas, I don't have the low down on the second bear, but there is overwelming evidence supported by "three" different published works by "three" different members of the Greenland Expedition on the sow polar bear killed by Young.  And the evidence is ovewelming that was the "only" polar bear killed by Young on that expedition.  

It certainly would be exciting to find a second polar bear was taken by Young, but kinda' disappointing that so many of us might have missed this important part of history for so long.

One thing I'm very careful at, is being able to provide a source before making a statement.  So far, I've yet to see anyone step up and "show me the money" on Young's second Polar bear.  If it's out there, it's been a closely guarded secret for some years and eluded many folks.

Until something changes, I'm not going to lose any sleep over Young's second polar bear.  One thing we need to understand is that Young didn't enter the polar bears listed in P&Y and didn't claim to have killed two polar bears.  So, any controvery about the subject has nothing to do with Art Young.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
Thanks, Cliff. Well-said. Cheers.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Here are the three books with information on the Greenland Expedition by three folks who participated in it.

Let’s Go! 85 Years of Adventure – Carl M. Dunrud – 1998
David Goes to Greenland – David Binney Putnam – 1926
An Arctic Rodeo – Daniel W. Streeter – 1929

The first question one should ask when searching for the answer.....is where and when did Young have an opportunity?  If he didn't kill the second bear on the Greenland Expedition, and that is very unlikely as there is absolutely nothing that supports that....where else would he have had a chance to do so?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
any idea what this is ? bd  

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Hair from Art's second polar bear!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Brilliant Ben that did not take you long answer bd

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Doc , ya need to send that down here so I can tie up a couple of steelhead flies !
Thanks Cliff , you a great source of history information and well said to boot.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
flies dang Ted I had a chance to trade the polar hair for a bow at one time bd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Don, what's the word before Glenn's signature? I can't make it out.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Here's something few folks have seen.  A Western ammo ad from the May 1927, "Forest and Stream."  A great deal of stuff was provided Putnam's Expedition in return for later advertisement.  Western provided all their ammo.

Dan Streeter and Art Young

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Do I remember that someone once speculated that the second skull was from a sow brown bear?

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I don't think you will generate mcuh debate on Young's two bears, the simple fact is that he killed only one.  

Someone other than Young provided the skulls and had them entered under Young's name.  No big deal, mistakes are made all the time, and nothing intentional in the whole episode.  

Folks have been reluctant to bring the issue up or attempt to correct it, voicing concern that it "might soil" Young's reputation or some other nonsense.  From what I've read of Young and what other's have said about this man, he would likely be the first to want the issue cleared up.

There is at least one "noted" archery historian that has spent considerable time putting all the pieces together.  Someday I hope he publishes his findings and thoughts.  

I don't know the answer to what's what, just curious like others, but do believe one of the skulls is likely from the sow Young killed.  About the other?  No clue.  One possibility that hasn't been raised is that the other could be a skull that was picked up during the Expedition that didn't come from a bear they killed.  This is noted in Putnam's book.  

I don't know anything about bear skulls, but it might be from another big bear.  I assume this could be determined by knowledgeable folks.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks, Cliff. That is a cool piece of history, that ad. I'm sure Art wouldn't mind us asking at all.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©