3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional style carbon arrows....which ones?  (Read 366 times)

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional style carbon arrows....which ones?
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I have been looking at several different carbon arrows to try.  I have looked at the AD traditionals and traditional lites, the Beman MFX classics, 3 rivers traditional only's and the Gold tip traditional XT's.

I know if I go with the traditional only's or the Gold tips I can use the adjustable weight system to help tune them.  I like this idea because I have a bunch of lighter weight two blade and three blade broadheads(around 125-150gr)and I could use the weight system to help add weight to the front if needed(I dont really want to have to buy new broadheads).

I don't know much about the AD traditionals or the lites.  How do they perform? I hear they don't bareshaft very well. Also, it seems they are listed to be very stiff spined. Can you put the adjustable weights in these?

The MFX's seem to be a good arrow too.  The only thing is that it doesn't seem that you could tune the weight as closely as you can with the Traditional only's or the Gold tips.  I think they only make the inserts in 50, 75 and 100 gr.  Is that right?  I know they are too small in dia. to install adjustable weights.

I was thinking about going with a stiffer shaft(around 340)and add weight in the front to weaken it.  I am shooting a 64" Toelke whip that is 54lbs @ 28".  I am drawing around 30".

I notice that the Gold tips are not available in a 340 spine.  Is the 300 much different? I don't know if I could weight the front enough to make it shoot well.  I do know that I have some Easton 2219's that according to the chart, are way too stiff.  They shoot great though. I just wonder if I will have the same luck with the carbons?

I would like to get the arrows up to around 580gr total.

I am probably overthinking all of this but I just want to get the best setup I can. Plus, I have all of these nice new feathers laying everywhere  and I need some more arrows to fletch.   :)  

Thanks
Dave

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional style carbon arrows....which ones?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Most all of your standard 5/16" carbons will accept the same weights as you can use on GT arrows.I have used them on Beman ICS,CE Heritage 150,250 and 350,Blackhawk Vapors and Carbonwoods.Like you say don't overthink it and it is not that hard to get a 580 gr. arrow.With carbons I like to start full length with the weight I want up front and trim and tune from there.A 340 MFX Classic with 100 gr.insert and 125 gr. point will put right in the weight range you are looking for.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Dave,Gold Tip's 7595's are 340 spine.If you want a 580 gr arrow,I think you will need a .400 spine or 5575 Gold Tip.By the time you add enough front end weight to .340's,you will be way over your target weight.

Also,you may want to be a little flexible with the broadhead issue.You may need more front end weight than the PDP weights can give you.You can use a 100 gr brass adaptor and that,combined with your broadheads and some weights,might get you there.Still,I think the .400 spine shafts will be best if you want to be close to 580 grs.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
I spoke to quickly.I noticed that you are drawing 30" and that may be as much as 60#.The 340's would work if you put enough front end weight on.I would probably need about 350 up front on something like that,if it were a center cut bow.That would be app. a 650 gr arrow,which actually,is a really good weight and you won't notice nearly as much difference between that and 580.Don't get in a big hurry to cut them.If you cut them close to your draw length,you need more point weight and a slightly heavier arrow.Leave them full length-less point weight and you should have a slightly lighter arrow.

At any rate,if you started full length and just adjusted point weight,you could at least see what overall weight that setup yields.You might gain 20 grs or so if you needed to cut them 30 1/2" and add some point weight.

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
With your draw length and weight, I would start with a full length 340 Beman MFX Classic bare shaft with a 100 grain brass insert and your preferred tip weight.  Cut off 1/8" at a time from the nock end of the arrow until it tunes just very so slightly weak spined.  The weight of your feathers should spine it perfect from there.

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys.  At least now I have an idea where to start.  Looks like I need to start testing.

thanks again
Dave

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Dave,

Here’s what I’ve noticed while shooting Easton Axis (camo and plain) and Beman MFX Black Max and Classic shafts.  This will be my 4 year shooting them from bows not cut to center, both recurves and longbows.

First they don’t seem to be as picky with different weights up front…I can shoot 145 to 175 grain tips and they hit the same out to and past 20 yards.  I’ve used Aftershock weight adjusters (25 grains each) to see what it takes to really make them weak and it takes a lot to affect them.  The shafts are small diameter so the arrow is closer to the shelf and they seem to recover faster.

Most of my bows are high 50’s at 29”…#57 to #59.

With bows around 50 lbs at 29” I have shot 500’s (Easton Axis or Beman MFX) carbons that measure 30.5” in length…I draw to 29.5”.  With these I can shoot 125 grain heads and 150 grain heads without any difference in point of impact.  I use standard aluminum HIT inserts with either 125 or 145 grain points.  Finished arrow weight is about 480 grains; this is with 9” wraps and three 5” feathers.

With my bows that draw closer to #60’s I shoot 400’s (Easton Axis or Beman MFX) carbons with 100 grain brass adaptors and 145 grain points.  Finished arrow weight on my Easton Camo Axis shafts with a 9” wrap and three 5” feathers is 571 grains.  I can shoot 175 grain points with this combo and I haven’t noticed any difference.

I have shot some Beman Classic 340’s and they need at least 100 grain brass adaptors and 250 grain field points…but they hit like a hammer and fly amazing.  Finished weight is right at 735 grains and they have awesome FOC.  The first arrow I shot with this combo actually knocked my yellow jacket target over with a direct center hit…that even made my wife laugh, said something along the lines of “it’s about time you killed something with that traditional stuff!”  I love that woman!!!

I also shot some 300’s that a friend had with 100 grain brass adaptors and 300 grain heads…finished arrow weight was just over 900 grains.  They were devastating!

Hope this helps!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
JimB, I think the GT Trad 7595's are .300 spine if the trad arrow is what he was referring to.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Richie,thanks.I see that now.I have been shooting the black ones a lot and was thinking they were the same or close.That is quite a jump in spine.That would take a good bit more tip weight to bring those in line,I think.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Well here is what I have experienced from Terry G recommendation.

I have my AD's trads - they are cut to 29.5" - standard inserts that come with them and 175 grain tips ok.

So I put the info in the calculator program and this is what came out.

AD - 388 + 175 = 563 - balance point is 19.75 = 16.95 = GPP = 9.38 @ 60#

All I can say is that they fly like DARTS....even out of other ppls bows from 54 - 57 - and 63# so far...all the same...perfect arrow flight.

Dunno - but I don't think I will buy a different shaft again.

Jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©