3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What kind of pack for walk in hunting trip?  (Read 527 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
What kind of pack for walk in hunting trip?
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I'm looking at getting a good pack that will carry everything I need for a week in the woolies.

What do you guys reccomend?

Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What kind of pack for walk in hunting trip?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Well, this will be interesting.

***My opinion***

You've got a few groups.  The first and best option is a made in USA Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, or if you are lucky and can find one, an old Dana Designs.  Right on the tail end of this group would be a Wilderness Wanderer or Barneys.

Then you'll have a group coming in and saying a Camp Trails, Coleman, or Cabelas Alaskan hauler will do yeomans work for a lot less money.

Then you're going to have a crew touting Badlands, Eberlestock, Blacks Creek, or HornHunter can do it too.

I've tried most of the packs listed.  I've hauled heavy loads with most listed, including over 90 lbs in a Badlands 2200 on Kodiak Island (not impossible, but not the right tool for the job   :D  )

The best advice I can give is to try some packs in the first group and buy the one that fits and you like best.  By going this route, you will save yourself a bunch of time and money by not  messing around trying to make the lower tiers work.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Guess my 25 year old Kelty doesn't make the first group but it's carried my stuff in and game out reliably & comfortably for a long while.

Best thing to do is find some places that carry what you want and try them on.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Take a main pack which can be any good backpacking pack with enough space to hold gear for a week.  Take a back up day hunting pack for emergency and animal cleaning /carrying gear.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Check out the Eberlestock Blue Widow.Its very versital and has a removable fanny pack that is very nice.One of our sponsers sells them. Prarie Traditions. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
That makes more sense to me.If you have never backpacked for a week,with hunting gear and clothes,you may not realize how much weight that would be,even if you have an effecient setup.I couldn't hunt with that on.Using a large pack to get to camp and a smaller one to hunt from camp is the way I have done it.You can always shift camp as needed.On a 2 or 3 day hunt,you may be able to carry your camp on your back as you hunt but I think that would be a little impractical with everything you would need for 7 days.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Go to REI.com and check out the Osprey or Arcteryx pack lines. They are some of the best mountain packs going. REI has their own line as well. I believe a well made multi day mountaineering pack is a better choice than say camo hunting packs. I'll take quality over camo anyday. I'm not saying you can't have both but top quality large packs are few and far between in camo.
hunt it

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
What kind of weight are you planning on hauling with this pack? Did you want it to be a pack that you will with it on or one that will get you back to a spike camp and drop it off to hunt?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
I have used a Jans-sport internal frame on a few trips, carry about 55-60# of gear and food for 4 days. That includes a tent and a fly. Worked well.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
The Eberlestock just one pack is a good one, be sure to add the attachable duffle.  You can move a mountain with those packs.  
For years I used a Lowe Alpine pack and can't say anything bad about those.  The best thing to do is to try different ones on with a load and find one that fits well.  Lots of good packs out there and a reputable company will warranty them for ever.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
There are so many packs and they all do things better then others. Once you tell us more what you are looking for doing with the pack It will be easier to give a proper “SUGESTION” but you need to try them on to make sure they fit right. If you are not able to try them on buy a badlands 4500 and they can adjust it to fit you properly. It would be best if you are able to get your hands on some different packs though.
Levi Bedortha

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I really like my Mystery Ranch Wolf pack. 6100 cubic inches that can be shrunk down if needed. Fits everything but the kitchen sink.

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I don't really care if it's camo or not and I don't plan on packing it while I hunt. Looking for something to pack in for camp and hunt from camp and return after the hunt.

as far as weight, I plan on as little as possible. One or two changes of clothes, Shelter, grub, water purification, and bedding. Just what I have to have to enjoy some time in the woolies for a few days or a week.

Thanks for all the info guys.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important part I will have to pack out a critter hopefully.   :D
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I would say the 4500 is still a good option it has a removable fanny if needed for your day trips out of camp. For packing out meat It's the only internal frame that has an internal meat shelf so you keep the heavy wieght (meat & bones) around the right spot of your back. Has a pop out mesh bag for your clothes. That will make a huge differance in how much you can pack back to the rig.

Another great pack is the 2800 I can go upto 5 days with that pack. Also small enough to use as a day pack from camp. If your going to do 1-5 days this would be the best pack you could get. Also is great for packing lots of animal wieght! IMO.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Stick,

Send me your e-mail and I can send you a pic or two, I can't put gun killed critters on here and that's what I have to show.  I can also give you a couple good places to search out info.  If you are going to be hauling in weight of gear and food for a week, which is what I understood from your original post, I will stick by my opinion/suggestion based on trying out many packs.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Badlands is coming out with a light pack that is over 3000 cu in next month. Also, look up OregonPackWorks.com  They have a pack called the Orion that is about 3500 cu in that will do the job. At a Sportsmen Expo Show I got to load it down with 60lb of sand and walk around. It is a pack system that can be adjusted to your needs. They have some videos on their site that is very informative.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Keep in mind,you can't pack 7 days worth of gear and a full load of meat out at one time.You still have to pack camp out in one trip so having a seperate frame and heavy meat sacks back at the vehicle might be the best option.The lightest I have ever packed for a week of hunting in the mountains was 55# plus bow.This didn't include meat sacks,saw etc..You can't carry a quarter of meat plus this camping/hunting gear at one time.

Offline Cane Knife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Study lightweight backpacking techniques.  There's a lot of weight you can cut.  Books like "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping" and "Lighten Up!" will really open your eyes.  Websites like  www.hikelight.com  give gear lists and links.  I use Granite Gear for backpacking and use Eberlestock "Blue Widow" for back country hunting.  Hauls more meat than my legs can carry out.  Collapses to a pancake if needed.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
With very careful planning and selecting gear I can walk away for a 3 or 4 day hunt with 30# total including my Blue Widow pack. I can get water where I am hunting so don't have to carry much.
 www.tarptents.com  
Mount-bell bag and a home made alcohol stove. The camp gear stays in camp and I detach the fanny with esential hunting gear when hunting.If I get meat the gear all stays at camp and the Blue Widow expands and can hold more meat than I can carry. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©