3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: smaller 3 blade vs. larger 2 blade  (Read 637 times)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: smaller 3 blade vs. larger 2 blade
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I agree w/ some of the posts above.
Many way over think this broadhead thing.When I hear posts about little or no blood w/ this head or poor or better penetration w/ this head or better arro flight w/ this head,IMO the dissatisfied bowhunter has (1) ineffectively tuned their equiptment for the BH,(2)are sharpening challenged w/ that BH,(3) fail to put the BH tipped arro in the right spot.
I've killed stuff w/ 2,3,and 4 blades that go from 1'' to 1 1/2'' in width and IMO the advatages of wide multiblade heads out weigh the advantages any 2 blade for most of the game I'll hunt.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I'll take arrow flight over size any day.  Pick what flies best - under YOUR hunting conditions.  YOUR conditions are not my conditions - what works for one, may not work for another.  There are many, many variables.  Hunting shots are never perfect.  H

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
A few years ago I made the mistake to try using a mechanical broad head with my recurve on pretty big pig needless to say things didn't work out so good. I have since switch to using 3 blades, but after reading a few elk hunting threads that al say I should be using a 2 blade broad head on elk..... needles to say Im a lil confused as to what I should be using. any help any suggestion would be use full.

thanks
Adrian

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I like big two blades.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
A few years ago I made the mistake to try using a mechanical broad head with my recurve on pretty big pig needless to say things didn't work out so good. I have since switch to using 3 blades, but after reading a few elk hunting threads that al say I should be using a 2 blade broad head on elk..... needles to say Im a lil confused as to what I should be using. any help any suggestion would be use full.

thanks
Adrian

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Hightop,
There is no magic BH for elk or any other game we hunt.It is nothing more than preferrence.As I stated above.There are advantages and disadvantages w/ every BH.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by hightop_hunter:

thanks
Adrian
OK....looks like you killed a pretty good pig with a recurve in your avatar....what head did you use on that pig?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Thats the pig I used the mechanical heads on. and a 55lb recurve. those Russian boars are like tanks. That and the blades didn't open properly.

overbo I realize that its preference but from your experience what is more suitable for elk. from what Im reading the 2 bladed BH is going through the ribs with a lot less trouble than the 3 bladed.

also most broad head charts or info that I have found have been BH shot out of a compound and im having a hard time relating to a bow that can shoot 260FPS

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
3 blade BH for me,
Been on enough elk bloodtrails shot w/ 2 blades that are tough to follow.Elk like to travel in herds and alot of times there willbe more than one elk in the area when you put a arro in one and having a head that puts alot of blood on the ground can be the difference in a quick recovery or a next day or a couple days recovery

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
thanks for the insight its definitely sumpthing to consider plus iv got my 3 blades sighted in and working out real well for me.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
A Wensel Woodsman out of a 55# bow is good medicine on just about anything in N America.

Just get them sharp,...and work on your shooting....and best of luck to ya.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks Terry I appreciate the help il keep um shooting sharp and straight

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©