3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widow or 3R tomahawk  (Read 784 times)

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
black widow or 3R tomahawk
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I am thinking about buying a new longbow but i dont know if i should get the Black Widow PL X Exotic cocobolo or the Tomahawk T/D diamond SS. has anyone shot both of these bows?

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widow or 3R tomahawk
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I think you need to pose your question in a different manner.  Like: What are the characteristics that someone likes of bow "XX"?  Based on those, YOU can then SHOOT those bows, and see if YOU agree.  Silly to ask someone what you should buy....

Sorry, just tired of the what is "the best", or what should I buy threads......

there are no Cliff Notes to Traditonal Archery
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Buy a Black widow with olive ash limbs, in the 50-55#@28", take down. If you don't like it I'll take it off your hands for half price.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
"Has anyone shot both of these bows"  

Why don't we try answering the question. Is it really a hassle?
I have not shot either. Both have good reputations.

I think that both of these bows you can try before you buy. I would take advantage of that.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
If you aren't going to be able to shoot them both and then decide, i would just go ahead and buy them both!  If you don't, you will always wonder if the other one was better!  Just kidding, sort of.  i would definitely go the "try before you buy" route.  As stated above, both companies do offer a "try before you buy" program.  Good luck in your decision!    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
I have three Widows and it would take a gun pointed at me to get rid of them. Widows are made extremely well, craftsmanship is A+. I have never heard of anyone with a BW having quality control issues. I used to own 3 longbows from a premier Bowyer, claims "Shoot the Best". Between limb  variance, riser/limb fit and limb edge consistency problems limb twist. BW is far and above a better bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I have shot both, Black widow by far the better shooting bow to me, but may not be for you. I'd try to shoot both before I bought one. Does this answer the question.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
it does not answer my ? but it helps. if anyone owns the black widow custom it would be great if you could post some pictures so i can see which would i want to get

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by aussieman8:
it does not answer my ? but it helps. if anyone owns the black widow custom it would be great if you could post some pictures so i can see which would i want to get
Here you go..

Osage on the left, and Tulipwood on the right
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
those are some nice bows!

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
I had the one piece Tomahawk Diamond SS.I had problems with it.I would like to try a Black Widow PL model someday.I`ve been looking at them in the catalog.I`m shooting a Black Widow MA III,and realy like it.Try them both out,like what was said above.Not everyone is a Widow guy and not everyone is a Tomahawk guy.Shoot what feels right in YOUR hand.
Harold Wetzler

Offline john shofestall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I shot a tomahawk about 5 years ago at denton.  It seemed like alot of handshock to me.  Loved the looks of it but it didnt shoot half as good for me.  Never shot a widow longbow

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I shot a guys Tomahawk takedown at the tannehill shoot and i really didn't care for it at all.

I have also shot the Widow's and i don't think you will find a better bow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline faustus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Well, I have a Tomahawk Diamond T/D Thunderstorm and a Diamond T/D SS. I have been shooting them for around 3 years now. They are the smoothest I have shot so far .... and I am very happy with them ... but then I have not tried a lot of high end bows and never shot a Black Widow. So it is hard to compare for me ....

------------
faustus

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
People can post there opinions all day long but until you shoot both you will never know which bow fits you the best, period.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
I've shot both and I like the Widow better but they were different weights so I wasn't really controlling for all the variables. I wouldn't trade two of either though for my Border Griffon GL.   :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I have owned three 66" PLX's and have tested the 3R's bows at their store.  The PLX's have a much smoother draw in my opinion and have little to no hand shock.  If you want quiet, fast and no hand shock, you may want to take a look see at the Leon Stewart longbows.  Incredible bows and an amazing grip.  Beautiful craftsmanship.  Stewart Archery has a new web site.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I've shot both, as I've owned a couple of Black Widow PLs, and my mate owns a Tomahawk. Neither is going to give you a shooting or dead animal advantage. Both are superb. The Black Widow gives you a few more custom options (at greater cost), but that's about the only real difference. The Black Widow is also cut to centre, whereas the Tomahawk is not quite. To me, that makes no difference with the right arrows. So, my advice is to go with the one you like the looks / options of, depending on your finances.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Since both Widow and 3 Rivers allow you to try their bows then you definitely should do that. Some people swear by the Widow...I shot both side by side on the same day...the Widow was a major disappointment to me... The Tomahawk was superb.

The Widow was not as smooth to draw despite being lighter and it shocked noticeably.

The Tomahawk was smooth, fast and quiet so I that's what I bought.

You will get many different opinions on these bows but only yours matters so try them both out...good luck!

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
aussieman8, Blacky Schwartz has done performance tests on both the PL and the Tomahawk longbows. Go to the addresses shown below and you can compare the force draw curves and arrow velocities of the two bows. I shoot the Widow PL, but I have no doubt the 3Rivers Tomahawk is also a fine bow.  Clint

www.bowreports.com/longbows/bw-plx/plx.htm

www.tomahawkbows.com/BowReports.asp

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©