3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill longbow questions  (Read 480 times)

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill longbow questions
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I notice on the Howard Hill Achery website that what they call the "normal" limb tip has no tip overlay. They also sell both B-50 & FastFlight strings. I'm curious if the tip overlay is recommended for use of FF string. The website doesn't say, or I can't find it. I like the looks of a Hill style longbow without the tip overlays. Just seems more authentic looking to me, I guess. Also, I've seen some older Hill-style bows with a short reverse tapered strip of fiberglass laminated between the inner lams of the limb tips. Would this be considered adequate limb tip reinforcement for use of FF string? Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Howard Hill longbow questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Yep.  The limb tip wedges are adequate to handler fast flite strings.  Of course, limb tip overlays add even more strength, but they're probably overkill.  One caveat.  The fast flite type strings I've received with some of the new Hills I ordered did not have padded loops.  A 10-12 strand string without padded loops can cut into the string groove fairly quickly and saw off the tip.  I make my own strings so quickly replaced those that came with the bows with my own.  In HH Archer's defense, I didn't ask for padded loops.  Just assumed they would be.  If you decide to go with a fast flite material string, ask for padded loops.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
HH Bows are great with B50.  I've got 3 - 55, 60 and 70 pound - B50 great I'm getting no handshock.  You really will not get much from FF with a Hill style bow IMO.  Call and talk to Craig - he build them - get it from the MAN.  Don't get the idea I'm into only slow bows.  I run Widows and ACS-CX with D97.  It is just the Hills are an older design - B50 is fine.  H

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Ground:  There's no doubt that Hills do well with B-50, but they do even better with something like D-97.  The latter reduces limb vibration and gives a few more fps.  I've talked with Craig about strings (every time I buy another bow).  His preference is dacron, though I think it's based more on keeping the tradition than performance.  There isn't a big difference, but there is a difference.   Hills are certainly strong enough to handle the fast flite stuff.  Whatever floats your boat, Clint.  Good luck.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I like to shoot D97 on my Hill's,the bow just feels better and I feel quieter then with B50.I've shot B50 on my Hill's also and they did fine bare with no silencers,but add some silencers and the handshock greatly increased.Now D97 the bow feels great and add a pair of whoolie wisps and it is quieter and just plain shoots better in my opinion.

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for your input, guys. I've been shooting r/d longbows with non-stretch FF strings for quite a few years, and lately D97. It's not so much a speed thing with me. It just seems like non-stretch strings are more durable and the brace height doesn't bounce up and down so much. If I were into speed, I'd be switching to a recurve. If I get a staight limbed longbow and it's recommended for B50, that's what I'll use. I do think the limb wedges look cooler than tip overlays on a Hill style longbows. Cedar arrows also look cooler, but I don't know if I'm ready to make that leap yet.

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I just re-read my last post & realized what I said about brace height might be confusing. I'm not talking about the string vibrating up & down. I'm just saying that the brace height of a B50 string is prone to change, so you have to keep checking it more than a FF string.

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
I use FF on my Hill, just feels better to me.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
Nothing but FF on all of mine except for the Miller all bamboo.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I have shot both the D97 and B50 strings on my Dave Miller Old Tom, I am sticking with the D97. Not because it is faster, which I believe it is, but because the bow is smoother and quieter with it.
It is a noticeable difference, and the fact that after an initial break in you can set your brace height and it pretty much stays right there is great too. Less to worry about.

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »
fastflight helps alot with handshock.
marlon torres

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
B50 for my 2 Hills, never a problem.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Well, maybe I'm just fortunate,  but I never have trouble with brace height changing on my B50 strings.  After making one I leave the bow strung a couple of hours, make a final adjustment, and that's it--once the stretch gets out of them they stay right there.  I think B50 is just easier on the bow and gives me plenty of performance. It also seems to have a softer feel on my fingers--may be just my imagination but it feels that way.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
B-50 on my Hills, never tried anything else, have been happy with it and never felt the need to try something different.  Interesting information though.

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Clint,

From my experience here is what you get from using no stretch strings on a HH bow:  (1) a few more feet per second, not much.  (2) The smaller diameter the string (ie: 10-12 strands or less) doesnt provide much in speed but it does place more stress on the arrow since it is lighter and, therefor, will cause you to have to increase your spine weight in the arrows you use. In affect, you can use this as a tuning method depending on what arrows you have or that you want to shoot.  My personal belief is that it makes the bow more efficient when shooting heavier arrows (ie: using a smaller diameter no stretch string).  Have fun with it no matter what.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
anyone try a skinny ultra cam string on a Hill?

it has made some average shooting bows good shooters for me lately and i am gonna try some Hills i like the lower strait grips! thanks Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm about to try one on mine.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I just got a new Northern Mist Shelton and it came with a 9 strand D97 string.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with a HH bow built by Craig Elkin?

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Yeah, guess that was a little vague   :( .  The point I should have made is that NM bows are Hill style bows that used to come with dacron strings but now Steve ships them with very skinny D97 strings.  I have been a dacron-on-Hill bows guy for a long time, but the D97 rocks on the Shelton.  Gonna try one on my Hills if I can get my hands on another soon...Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©