3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally Started my Cane Arras (and saving shop space hint for you)  (Read 4508 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awhile back (before Christmas) I posted about Mike Brooks (a Retired Navy Corpsman) that saw my posts on here and got in touch when he found out we lived close to each other. He then came to our Christmas shoot and joined our club, and I found he is quite a bowyer (of self and lam wood bows). Also he makes and shoots CANE arrows. Now, I've been interested in, and trying to get to make some Cane arrows since last ('05) fall. Mike came over to my place to shoot last weekend, as we had hit it off at the Christmas shoot, very well. We then made arrangements for him to give me first hand "Guidance" (instead of just working on my own) to start my Cane arrows. I did the first straightening course today. Yippee! Now I will do two or three more courses (as needed) here at home, and then we'll get together again for the following steps. Here are some pics in Mike's very nice work shop where I was applying his lessons. After that I will make another post re a great space saving tip for bowyer/arrow makers work shops. (Or anyone else's for that matter - LOL)

Heat gun to the nodes.

Oh, this is not a teutorial (we've had very good ones from more competant folks), it's just proof that I actually am doing what I've said so many times I was going to do - finally  :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally Started my Cane Arras (and saving shop space hint for you)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Bernie, good to see you takin em up but it's no fair workin from such a nice countertop.

I can't even see mine.  :D
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Have fun Bernie. I know you are happy with that labor of love.

That's a nice uncluttered workspace he's maintaining. Be NEAT...

We're watching and want to see every step...

Folks from cold parts of the US, and elsewhere, notice the open window, here in NC, in January     :cool:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
woodduck I seen the window. I also seen that Bern don't have much room left on that hat! To bad I had someting that might have looked nice on it. And how in the world does he keep that shop sooooo clean!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Mike (and most shop operators) realize that the most wasted space in shops is "Verticle Space". I was impressed with Mike's way of handling that shortcoming, and I felt it might help others. I took a set of pictures that are pretty self explanatory - but I will make some remarks anyway - (you know me -       :p     )

If you have a space problem - go vertical with Power tools you don't use all the time - these are mounted on pieces of (I think Mike called it, CA) Board and slid onto 2x2 braces.

Make one of your work benches with two layers of (CA?) board, and make a cutout in the top layer the same size as the base boards on your power tools.

When you need to use a tool, remove the cutout, leaving a recessed area

Go get your weapon - er, tool of choice from the verticle storage bin

(Two more pics on next post.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Set the tool (and it's attached base board)at the recessed area

Drop the tool into the recess - and, "VIOLA!" now you have your tool securly mounted in a work bench with penty of work space. How neat is this? Thank you Mike!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Hey, Alan (ncbowman) glade to hear from you. OK friends, I accused Mike of being a neat freak - he told me his wife was a neat freak - but that he wasn't. All I got to say is, I didn't see Susan working in that shop any, so you figure who's a what. (Sure was a pleasure working there though after my "glory hole" - and to think, I  used to be one of those "A place for everything, and everything in it's place" guys too    :D   .

Frank, That hat is pretty well "used up" but ya never know. (Maybe I could put it on my "Barb" Back Quiver, or the Lacota one she made for me   :)  )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
Hey Bernie. No fair starting with already straight canes.
   I like Mike's idea for storage and the cutout in the work bench. That would give me more room for shavings, dust and other collectables.   LOL   Seriously I will follow his lead on this one. My shop is a serious disaster.
   Looking forward to seeing your finished cane arrows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Todd Weldon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
Way to go Bernie,, I've been thinking about making some Cane arrows for awhile and just kept putting it off. Scared of the straightening process I guess. Anyway, I've just finished a dz and all I have left is putting on some Tru-Oil for a finish. Can't wait to start shooting them.

Todd
Forget McAllester, I'm just gonna hunt at the house this year!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
LOL - I hear ya, Pat. Honest, they were'nt straight but had been bundled for awhile. Part of them I got from Matt E in late '05 (Shhhh! I can't believe I've waited so long) and the rest I harvested close to my house (and did pick and choose when cutting them- LOL) early in '06 as I recall. Mike did say I had gathered some nice ones - of course he also said I had two or three that will be Allatl Darts too - that'll work.

It was neat how easy (and fun) the straightening is once you get past the initial dred of "starting", isn't it, Todd? With heat the Cane almost seems to turn to hard Rubber, and just slides in the direction you apply pressure. Stays there pretty quick too, even though still quite warm to the touch. (Me: "Ouch," "Ouch," "OUCH!" Mike: "Told ya it gets hot, Bernie.")

I've been lucky in that Mike has a slug of them made up, and I have been able to shoot his, all three times we've got together - along with shooting each others bows. The Cane arrows are a pleasure and a wonder to shoot, just as those in the know say they are. Mike also has some very nice (and varied wood and type) bows he's made. I even got up close and personal with a Penobscott Bow - and with Bulletwood (neat stuff), etc. He's working on a nice Horse Bow now, along with other projects. I'm gonna fix most of my Canes (about 18 in this batch) for target shooting but then I will pick the best ones to replace the points with "Stone Heads" on for next Deer season.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline x_count

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Well Bernie and I certainly had a good time yesterday workin' canes.  Could have done more but we spent a little time jaw jackin' too.  :)   And I am not a neat freak, I didn't even vacuum the shop floor last night after we finished!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Very nice
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Very nice, indeed!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
I do remember, Nick, and BTW I showed my Osage and Purpleheart nock you made (on an arrow) to Mike and he was properly blown away - he knows craftsmanship and quality when he sees it (and I love to show that thing off).

LOL - x-count (that's Mike) we did have a good time - including lunch prepared by a pretty lady, friendship from a huge dog who took to me imediatly (normally doesn't accept strangers so redily, I'm told), got a new bow given to me for young shooters (like my neighbor's son), that just needs some finish sanding, nock groove work, and final finish. It is made from a Holly sapling and Mike knocked it out in 30 mins. Yesterday (after it had had drying time) he just touched up the tiller and draw a little with his favorite bow scraper - a huge Bowie Knife. (Those were the only shavings he would have needed to clean up -    :D   ) Actually we were going to eat lunch off the floor in the shop - but Susan wouldn't let us    ;)   . We both shot that little Holly bow (and Dano's Snakey Osage he made for me), with Cane arrows, of course. That is a sweet shooting little bow. I will get a pic of it, as I got it, and after I do the little bit I have to do. thank you so much for that too, Mike. Good friends (as we all know) are such a blessing.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TimBow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Great idea.............

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Is there a link somewhere that instructs us what to look for in a natural shaft.  Which type cane, what to look for in individual shoots of cane, etc.  I am very interested but incredibly stupid in this area.
ChuckC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Chuck, You probably don't have river cane in your area. Too cold. One thing you want with cane and hardwood shoots is at least 2nd year growth. Usually with cane, the paper like sheath at the nodes is either deteriorated or gone all together. With hardwood shoots they will have small branches where leaves were the first year. Also you will want to cut cane and hardwood bigger than you want for arrows. Both will shrink when dried and with hardwood when you remove the bark.
   Cane plant stakes from hardware stores, and discount stores works well for arrows and are cheap to buy.
   You should have redosier dogwood and gray dogwood growing in your area. They are shrub type dogwoods not a tree. Either of these make excellant arrows. Maybe even viburnum.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
What Pat said (he really is quite well versed on plant life in regards to primitive shafts), but just for info purposes, from what has gone on in the past on here, if you put "cane", etc. in the search you should find many threads about them, some with pics (in case you take a trip further South). Also there is at least one guy, that sells them by mail order, that comes on here once in awhile. Mike and I were talking about that yesterday also.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Thank you, yes we have the Dogwoods by the truckload.  Need to go looking I guess.  Can I still harvest them this time of the year ?

Chuck.

Offline Deerstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Is that Mike Brooks a semi famous muzzleloader builder as well?
Bryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©