3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally Started my Cane Arras (and saving shop space hint for you)  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally Started my Cane Arras (and saving shop space hint for you)
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I have been waiting for this moment patiently for at least 2 years maybe three. A fine start Brother B.  :thumbsup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I know, Dano, I'm such a slow starter, friend. As I just stated somewhere, I've had a love affair with Cane arrows ever since you sent me that one you made me 2 or 3 years ago. Mike is just beginning to realize what a blessing he is to me for this "Kick-start" -    ;)

Bryan, I don't believe so, as I know his wife likes to shoot MZ, and I mentioned I had a couple BP pistol I had built from kits, and he didn't say anything about it - and we were discussing our various "interests" at the time. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he was, as he is a fairly modest guy, I think.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Here is the "30 Minute" Holly Bow That Mike made and gave me for starting youngsters off. 61", 25# @ 24", and a sweet shooter. I will fine sand it, clean up the nock grooves, finish it, and fix a grip - show you those pics later.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Chuck, Now is the best time to harvest hardwood shoots and cane. I'm going out tomorrow to collect some sourwood shoots. Get shoots bigger than you think...even up to 1/2". They shrink when they dry and when you scrape the bark off. Cut then and bundle then together(I usually do 10 to 15 per bundle) and let them dry before you remove the bark or they will chech. After a month or so they should be ready to start. I use a thumb plane to reduce mine to where I like them and to reduce the spine and use the gas kitchen stove and olive oil to straighten them.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Good for you sir!  :thumbsup:  I'm sure they'll come out great!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks, it amazes me how good the shafts (Canes) look after just the first pass.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
I'm sanding on the little Holly bow now, in prep for finishing it, and will also be running more passes on straightening the Cane shafts - plus finishing about three that are ready for that too.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks Pat.  This is gonna be fun!
ChuckC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Here is the little Holly Bow Mike made in 30 Mins., and gave to me to finish and use for youngsters, etc., starting out. I put a coat of Danish Oil on then drew on the Indian Symbols (Thunderbird for overall well-being and Gathered Tee Pees for community), a spray of Polyurathane over the symbols, topped with the second coat of Danish oil. After that, three coats of Tru-oil, fine (0000) steel wool between all coats. A Ferett Floppy rest and leather gripwrap. I also served the string and added fur strip silencers, as kids like the look of them. I use NZ wool yarn for my personal bows, but I also like the look of fur on wood bows. Just getting my feet wet - thanks for the bow and the opportunity, Mike.

Of course the Full Draws are only full draw of the bow, about 24-27# @ 24" "Sloopy" and "Camo Dog" in the background for moral support -

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
Nice job Bro!! the kids will love shootin that baby.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
That's a great little bow, Bernie. I like making bows for kids. I usually donate a bow or set to the Carolina Traditional Archers each year for the state shoot raffle.  It's up to us to pass it on. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
You guys both got that right. Gotta get some dowel arrows ready for it also.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
All Righty then - here are my first three Cane Arrows. I shot them yesterday, when Mike came over to shoot, then finished them in the evening and this AM. Put The Rabbit Fur tracers on just a few minutes ago. They have wild Turkey fletchings that I stripped by hand and cut with a Vario Cutter. Because of the soft quill piece they didn't all cut real symetrical. However, they look fair on Cane and they flew well. I do think the next ones I do, I'll leave fletching full shape when I fletch and then trim to Indian shapes, by hand, for a more primative look.
The largest of the three arrows spined a little heavey for my bow (was rapping the shelf) but flew fine out of Mike's heavier weight bow - so I put a heavier tip on it and will try it again. One spines about 40-50, one 50-60 and the third pretty much at 70 but all shoot good, except for the one rapping which I hope is corrected now. If not I'll give it to Mike - LOL. Oh, after sanding nodes and shafts some, applied three coats of Tru-oil, with 0000 steel wool light buff between coats. I was wanting to get the first ones done, and forgot all about any decorations. As you can see I used Plastic nocks on these but will use self nocks on some, to be used for stone-head, hunting arrows. I also will bind some feathers leading ends, if not all, etc. One pic is against tile floor, the other against a rug - same arrows.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Those are some great lookin arras Bernie. You can always add decoration.

Offline x_count

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Yep, ole' Bernie is stung for sure now!  No going back once you get to shootin' cane.  And let me tell you he was shootin' them well too.  Even the stiff one was pretty much hitting where I THINK Bernie was shooting.   :D   If the spine doesn't soften up enough on it though I'll be a man about it and take it off  his hands.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Thank you Dano - you are now witnessing the fruit of your seed - planted back when you sent me my first cane arrow - which I still have. Many others of our friends (Matt Edwards, Mickey Lotz, Calvin of Canada, Pat B of NC, and now Mike Brooks) have encoraged and informed me along the way (but I am a slow starter - LOL). I thank you all.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
LOL - yer all heart, Mike - Always did respect the "stuff" FMF Corpsmen are made of.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline x_count

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
I retired, I didn't say I was gonna quit takin' care of my Marines!!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  That'll work -   :clapper:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  That'll work -   :clapper:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©