3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: differant strings  (Read 139 times)

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
differant strings
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Can someone tell me the difference's in the strings b50, d50, Flemish, fast flight Thanks.      Tom

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: differant strings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
When you say "Flemish", I am assuming you are talking about a flemish twist string. That is a type of bowstring differentiated by the way it is made. The other things you mentioned; B50, D50, Fast Flight, are string material types. A flemish twist string can be made from B50, Fast Flight, etc.

Hope this helps!

Darren

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Is there differant characteristics that each type have or is it just preference. Ive seen some bow ads that say non fast flight. Yes I did mean flemish twist they look thicker but also very nice. Does the thicker string slow the bow down any. thanks

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
here's the scoop on bowstring fibers, as i see it and as i've been spinning and twisting strings for a really long time ...

flemish and endless are the two most common ways bowstrings are created.  it doesn't matter which style you use on any stick bow - both are up to the task.  

polyester - "dacron" - (browning b50, bcy b500 or b55, etc) is the first modern string fiber for stick bows, and has been in use for lots more than a half century.  all stick bows can use this fiber.

high modulus polyethylene - "hmpe" - (fast flight, d'97, d'02, 452, f8125, ultracam, etc) is very high tensile strength string fiber that has less fiber stretch/creep and allows far less strands for any given bowstring.  it is highly recommended that a stick bow have the limb tips reinforced for this type of string fiber, and the strings loops padded as well.

lighter mass weight strings allow for faster arrow speeds, maybe between 1 and 5 fps on the average.  

there is no substitute for testing different string fibers for both performance (the transfer of energy from the limbs to the arrow, speed) and overall bow noise on release.

when in doubt, use dacron.  keep the dacron strand count reasonable, i.e. - a minimum of 10 strands for up to 50#, 12 strands for up to 60#, 14 strands for 70#+.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Thanks y'all that helps alot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©