3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wild Fire Artistry...Your Huntin' Buddy  (Read 273 times)

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Wild Fire Artistry...Your Huntin' Buddy
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Hadn't posted in a while cuz the one I did before this one involved modern equipment and so couldn't be posted here!

Made some progress on this one the last few days, not done but created a little video showing the progress...

for those of you with slow computers...

here is the current status...

"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wild Fire Artistry...Your Huntin' Buddy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
What a gift, both yours and "Pop's".

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
This work is being done for me....actually, it's being done for my dad, he just doesn't know it yet :-)

I can't say enough about Mr. Jones. I sent him a couple pictures and asked him to come up with some ideas for the carving. We emailed back and forth a little bit and came up with a final plan. Great artist and wonderful to work with.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for all the nice comments except the "Mr. Jones"!  My name is "Chip"!  LOL!

Chip

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Just thought I would add that "Mr. Jones" is my dad!  LOL!

Also, as you watch the video and the shading get darker.  Realize that I am creating that shading with thousands of dots!  When I want an area darker I add more dots to that area.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
couple more pics added to video...

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
WOW!!! That is some awesome work!  :thumbsup:
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

update and more...I hope to be done with this one in the next couple days.  Still havework to do on the left one...

here is the more...

every once in awhile I start getting questions again about how I do these.  The questions have started coming again recently.  At the Iowa Deer Classic (back in March) alot of people asked if it was done with a laser.  Answer is no!  I don't take offense to the question, in fact think of it as a compliment, but want to make sure you realize I do these all by hand.

I didn't even know there were lasers that could do pictures until people started making that comment.  Actually had a lady at the Iowa Deer Classic say that she used to do the laser pics and she said she knew right away it was not laser because you could not get near the detail if you were using a laser.  She pointed out, for example, on one of my pieces you could read "Mossy Oak" on the guy's hat.  She said you would never be able to read that if it was done with a laser.  

To start I need to rough out the carved area.  The first 15 or so I did all with hand carving tools.  Of late, I have started using a small router to rough it out, it speeds things up a little even though I still have to clean it up with my hand tools.  Alot of pro woodcarvers start there pieces by roughing them out with power tools.  Though with these pieces it is more about the burning than the carving.  The only realy carving I do is creating a few different levels.  All the detail is drawn in with my woodburning pen.  I would actually like to do more pieces without the carving, but everybody orders their s done with the carving because it is very unique.  I have lots of folks at woodcarving shows, who have been in it for 20 years, tell me they have never seen anything like it.

Once it is roughed out, I use my hand carving tools to shape anything that I need to (like the bucks' snouts on this piece)  Once I have the general shape I want, I start sanding everywhere I am going to woodburn.  Sometimes that means background and all, sometimes the background is not going to be burned, so I use my hand carving tools to create gouge marks (on this one I used a powercarving tool to create the dimpled background).  

Once everything is sanded smooth I start burning.  I use carbon paper to transfer some detail then start drawing everything in with my woodburning pen.  I use different woodburning pen tips and techniques to create different textures and either adjust the temp on the pen or change the speed with which I move the tip across the wood to vary the shade.  

One of the keys is starting off real light and building up to the darker shades.  This helps add depth.

I created a short video clip.  This is probably about a 30 minute video I have condensed into about 2 minutes.  You will notice when I kick it in to high gear, LOL!  I have done all the shading on this one with dots, you will notice the tapping when it is at regular speed.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Chip,

You know how much I admire your God-given talent...but when I watched the one clip above come through...I thought I'd love to tease you and say that since it "only takes a couple minutes",  :p   just make me up one with a world-class 10pt in the next 4 min and send it to me!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
LOL!  Doc, as stated above real time was more like 30-45 minutes and I don't think you can tell in the video, but we are not talking about huge changes in that amount of time.  Oh, and when you get a world class 10 pointer on the ground, you better get some good pics and send them to me!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I just got in one of Chips art works in the mail.It is an African kill (not a bow) for a client of mine that also turned into a frienship.Guys his internet pics do not do his work justice.I had no idea but they really look great.I am very pleased.Kip

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hooked:
 and when you get a world class 10 pointer on the ground, you better get some good pics and send them to me!
Dude...I ever even SEE a 10pt, let alone "World Class"... I'm gonna be on the ground...fall outa the danged treestand and have an anurisum!  

Not thinking that's gonna happen anytime soon! Well, not the 10pt anyway...   :eek:    :knothead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks, Kip!

Doc, Pictures of you falling on the ground my work also!  Could sell'em in the St Judes Auction!

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Like Kip, I just got my plaque from Chip last week and Kip is right. Pictures just do not do his work justice! The detail is incredible! It really does look like the a picture, in wood! The longer you look at it, the more detail you see! The 3-D carving really adds to the feel of these works of art.
Amazing stuff!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Thanks, Brad!

Gonna call this one done, but I reserve the right to change my mind...atleast until I put a finish on it.

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I really don't know what to say other than WOW!

Amazing work. I can't wait to see the look on my dad's face.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Got three coats of finish on it tonight, Kirk.  Will do another in the morning, let it dry, then one more.

And I want to know what your dad says!

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
Hooked, what is your web site? I really love your work. God bless you and your family.....
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks, Rookie@51!  and thank you Brad for answering his question.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©