3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shield cut vrs Banana  (Read 313 times)

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Shield cut vrs Banana
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
I usually shoot 5" Shields.  I fletched up 3 arrows with 5 1/2" bananas and it seems to have improved my accuracy (bow tuned and thought I was getting great flight with the shields).  Is it the feather (I realize the banana feather is 1/2" longer) or just the brain? (Of course if it is only mental, I'll stick with it.)(Does it become superstition at that point?)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shield cut vrs Banana
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
Often a new and different anything will bring on an improvement-makes us focus more-IMO most stuff is mental.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
5,5 inch banana has less surface area than 5 inch shiels so it shouldn't be the feathers.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
5.5" bananas have more surface area than 5" shields.  They could be masking more shooter errors, but I'm with Bjorn on this one - it's all in your head!  ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
So which is it??? Does a 5/5" banana cut have more or less surface area than a 5" shield.  We have conflicting opinions here.  I've wondered this myself...

I have always been concerned with the noise of a 5/5" banana cut and had a custom 5" chopper made.  It really is a neat cut and not noisy at all...
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
my banana is bigger than your shield.    :laughing:

this sounds more like a 'cabin fever' thread.  there ain't any significant performance difference in the surface areas of the fletches mentioned.  of more importance is how quiet they are in flight and how they're applied to the shaft (drag).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanks Rob.  Now I have to get more coffee.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Rob is right that the surface areas are very close in total area and neither one should impact your arrow flight all that much.

Just for reference I measured and calculated the surface areas for both fletches before i posted.  Geometry can be such fun.  It is the enginerd in me that makes me do it.  Perhaps we can look into the airfoil affect of each fletch too.

Just kidding!  

I doubt either one has enough of a difference in surface area or flight characteristics to make that much difference in arrow flight.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
as i just typed in a pm reply ...

"seriously, each of us needs to play with fletch shape, size (length and height), number (3 or 4), and orientation (helical, offset, straight), in order to find what functionally and aesthetically works best. anything else is conjecture and hearsay. happy fletch hunting!"

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Go with 5&1/2 Shield they work the best
for me with woodies.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
In my experience, the shield cut fletching is louder than the bannana cut. I would go with the quitest fletch. m2c

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Assuming you are shooting "Cock feather out" is it possible that your shields at the leading edge of your down hen feather are contacting the shelf hard and "hopping" a tiny bit and your Banana fletches have the same leading edge going through at the juncture of your rest and the side plate coming off smoother? And my experience is like the last post, Shields and especially high backed ones are noisy, Bananas and Parabolics are quiet.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
The more feathers on an arrow the better I like it. However that being said= MY FAVORITE is 4-4".  Just do the simple math. number  of feathers x's inches of feathers. 3 feathers x  5 1/2 = 16 1/2"'s of feather. 3x's 5 = 15"'s etc etc

Offline Mint Hill Mule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I'm with amicus, the shield cut produces more noise. My local shop owner thinks so also. He has been in the business since the early 70's.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
My cutter makes a 5" shield that is noisy, so I trim them down from the short end, leaving the high end full size. When trimmed the have an even taper, they're very quiet and still work fine. I just don't like the look of bananas.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I use the 'nanners amost exclusively.  Quiet and I like the looks. Accuracy benefit? Don't think so.
   They are a little harder to come buy. I used to get them from Kelly Peterson when he was in business.  Lancaster Archery has them.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
it's cheaper and way too easy to chop yer own 'naner fletches from full length feathers ... or far better yet, from free natural turkey and goose feathers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©