3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A View From My Blind  (Read 538 times)

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A View From My Blind
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Can't wait to "hear" the story!   :thumbsup:
Mudd, i sent you a pm!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Well I started the season last Tuesday morning with a young man that has some physical handicaps.  I really wanted to get him a bird and had 3 different good birds in front of him and he just could not keep still long enough to get a shot and spooked every one of them.  
I didn't get a chance to go back out till Thursday morning and I just went to watch the birds and see where they were going.  I picked a spot they frequent after fly down and saw 4 big birds there that morning so I went back out in the evening and put up my blind.  Here is my spot.

I was just sure that Friday morning would be a slam dunk for a shot but the birds came into the clearing and seemed spooky about the blind.  I had not even set a decoy because they had walked right past that tree behind the blind every time I watched them.  I did not even take a call with me that morning.  I saw them but they went wide of the blind and walked about 30 yrds behind me.  Much to far for my recurve skills.  It was sure exciting though having 3 big toms gobbling around the blind.  I got to go back for a Saturday evening hunt and set the hen decoy you see in the first pic about in the same spot and I set a jake decoy beside her looking her way.  There were some guys out fishing and the pond is right behind the blind...I took the pic of the blind from the pond dam.  I could still hear birds gobble up in the timber every once in awhile so I just kept quiet till the fishermen left.  After I heard their truck leave, I gave a few yelps and some soft purrs and got a gobble.  I called sparingly and heard a gobble every now and then but none seemed to be getting closer.  All of a sudden, one gobbled right behind the blind and I looked around and what I think was probably the bird I eventually killed was coming to the decoys at about 50 yrds.  About that time I hear a noise on the other side of the blind and there is a herd of cattle that have walked up and are sniffing the decoys and licking them.  I threw a stick at them and they started sticking their nosed into the blind.  A good whack with a limb of the black widow stopped that but I could not get them to leave the decoys alone and eventually the bird just walked off gobbling every now and then but would not come back with the cattle around...and they stayed till dark.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I decided to try it before work this morning and got up early to be in the blind well before light.  I put just the hen decoy out about 6 yrds from the blind and waited.  It was really still this morning and no moon.  When they started gobbling on the roost, I think I could hear at least 3 toms close and a couple more off in the distance.  I took my favorite slate call with me and sat down to wait.  They flew down pretty early and were gobbling and the hens calling a couple hundred yards away...across the draw with all the cedars in it you can see out to the right side of the blind.  I didn't call for a little while because they had been coming out into the meadow every morning anyway but when none showed for awhile, I yelped and purred softly about twice and just shut up.  After about 5 minutes I heard a putt and looked up and a hen was running out of the cedars about 100 yards away and making a b-line for the blind.  I grabbed the bow, a Black Widow SAII Greybark 62" 47# @ 27", and got ready just in case.  Soon a big tom stepped out where she had come out and gobbled once and came hurrying after her strutting the whole way.  The hen ran up to the decoy and started posturing and purring at it and eventually started pecking it in the head and flogging it.  It is a hard plastic full body decoy and I had it stuck in the ground with spikes so she held her ground against the boss hen.  The tom came on fast, popping his wings and drumming the whole way, and got through my first shooting windows before I could do anything.  I got the bow up into position facing the hen and just knew she would see me as she was facing me and seemed to be looking my way but she was too busy with the decoy.  When the tom strutted up behind the decoy, I picked a spot high on the back, held the anchor and the arrow took off on its own.  The bird just collapsed as you see him in the picture....toppled like a tower onto his chest with his wings out to the sides and his head never came off the ground.  He did not move a foot and barely wiggled a little.  It broke his spine and went into his vitals and was over faster than I can type it.  I could not believe it.  This was my first trad turkey and I think I am more proud of it than any I ever got.  He had a 9 1'2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.  I did not weigh him but would guess 18-20 lbs.  I was using Gold Tip trad arrows with some extra weight on the front end and Magnus Stinger 100 gr. 2 blade heads.  I guess going through the bone slowed the arrow down but the first pic is exactly as the bird fell with the arrow sticking straight up.  The broadhead never went out of the other side of the chest cavity.  Here are some pics in the daylight.  Thanks for all the nice comments friends.

2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Very Nice.  Good going taking a kid out hunting too.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
Can't wait to "hear" the story!    :thumbsup:  
Mudd, i sent you a pm!
Thank you!! It was a great picture once I could see it.
I really appreciate you lightening that up for me.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Congrats!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Nice shot. Fire up the smoker  :clapper:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Looks like he got the point as to whose house he's in.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Nice job!     :thumbsup:    :clapper:
bolong

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gumby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Well done!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Congrats!   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline huntelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Great job!!!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Way to go!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Congrats!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Congrats, can't wait for WV season to open.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
About as nice a view as one could want!

Way to go!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
Fantastic Story!!!  Well done!!
 A great first trophy for sure!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Molon labe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©