3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew-Carbon/Foam or Bamboo  (Read 361 times)

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrew-Carbon/Foam or Bamboo
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Just wondering on your thoughts. Does anyone own/shoot the carbon/foam cores?

Thanks!

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew-Carbon/Foam or Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
I won't shoot anything else as long as I can get foam.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Wondering as well, I have a Classic Hunter with bamboo and am on the list for another sometime next year and am holding off making a decision on limb material.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Think of it like this. Foam does everything that bamboo does, just better. And it weighs less.  :D
I wouldn't go back to bamboo.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Foam, period, end of story.  If I can get it in a new bow I'd jump at it.  Love the stuff.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Would someone please explain the type of foam used in the limbs and how it is applied?  When I hear foam core, the only foam which comes to mind is polyfoam for packing or kids swimming noodles.  

Thanks.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Bamboo, walnut or foam. Smoothness is all string angles and limb geometry not so much the core material. Take two identical bows and put them on a bow scale-one foam, one bamboo. I'll bet you a dollar for doughnuts they'll measure the same incrementally, all other variables being equal. Smoothness is measurable. People's minds are very suggestable. Maybe you would pick up 2-3fps-that I'm not sure of. (X-wood weight to foam etc.). Extra speed I don't care about. I'm shooting XP30's when I know the HEXV Border limbs are faster because I like the wood veneers. I also am shooting a longbow now which is slower thatn my recurve. I know I wouldn't trade my current set-up just for foam but maybe I would try it if it was the same price. I'd bet that some of you foam guys would also buy the next latest core material saying again how much better it is than foam. I'm for science and studies-what can be measured.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
all wood and glass for me.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I have 2 Bamboo Shrews, SS & CH, and honestly dont see how they could be any smoother, even at a 30" draw.

Eric

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
I have the carbon and foam classic hunter.  I have never shot a bamboo bow so I cannot compare them.  The foam/carbon combo in a 70 pound bow hits hard, doesn't weigh hardly anything and is smooth and stable enough for me.    I like the shrews enough that I haven't shot anything else in the past 5 years and I have liquidated almost all of my other bows and only keep shrews to shoot now.  If you find something you like you might want to stick with it.  I don't think you can loose either way.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Not in shrews, but owned both in multiple Morrisons...x2 what Bob, Rob, and Jeff said. Not only better "feel" to me, improved performance is a plus, and seldom does anyone mention the stability with temperature extremes. Bamboo definitely fluctuates a measurable, and sometimes remarkable amount with dramatic temperature changes...foam simply does not. Typically, most builders offer foam as an upgrade for a very marginal amount...and well worth that small expense in my opinion.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
So much good info. Thanks. My question was specific to the Shrew Bows. The decision I will have to make in a few months is weather to purchase a bamboo or a carbon/foam shrew.

I do have a few Morrison bows with the carbon & foam, and they are indeed excellet.

I guess as curveman stated, its all about the gerometry of the bow although I do think materials will play intot he smoothness factor.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Hmm being a wood lover with a bamboo limbed longbow, I have been wondering on this myself.  How does the lighter limb weight impact the vibrations of the bow?  Doe is lessen it due to the foam, or does the lighter bow have more hand shock?

I like the wood limbs for the added beauty to the bow.  Then again you could skin carbon / foam limbs to make them more attractive.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
JC, you may be right-I hadn't really considered how temperature changes might affect the materials in question. Any physicists who can answer this one? I'd been told that with glass or carbon bows, the wood is mostly just along for the ride so to speak-self bows different story. Not having done all the experiments myself I can only learn from reading a lot about the tests of others. For a small price increase-what the heck?....but does foam present problems in terms of breakdown over time? I guess I too often read about the latest and greatest (pick a subject) that later presents its own problems or didn't turn out as promised. (Heroin was given that name as it was thought once to be the "hero" of pain medications)! Maybe the data is already in on this one? I do note however that it appears that the Korean Olympic shooters have been going back to wood core bows from synthetic or so I have read-I follow that sport almost not at all but nobody cares more about such things as those Olympic shooters.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
You can still get the wood limb vaneers on the Shrew carbon foam limbs.  I am in the same boat, my Shrew order is due up real soon.  After talking with Gregg Coffey the other day about this, I think I am going to give the carbon foam a try.  So BowZen, in a few months I will have some feedback for you.  I have a couple bamboo limb Shrews now and love em.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I have owned two bows with foam in the limbs. One was a longbow with carbon/foam. I sold it because I do not shoot longbows well. Later on one of the limbs simply broke at a 90 degree angle for the new owner while at full draw. I have no idea whether this was caused by either the carbon or foam or maybe neither. I now have a recurve with the glass/foam limbs and do not really care for it for two reasons. The bow shoots great but has a distinct metallic sound when shot and I simply like wood limbs for the aesthetics. I see no major speed improvement over bamboo but I must say I have done no chronograph tests.

I am aware of a bowyer that has extensively tested carbon foam limbs and has not had dramatic improvement. I am with curveman, sometimes we convince ourselves something is better simply because it is new.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Kissner:
I am with curveman, sometimes we convince ourselves something is better simply because it is new.
And sometimes it might really be better...but it still may not be for everyone. If said bowyer did not get an improvement using carbon and foam in his design, I offer he may not have been using it to it's fullest potential.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
You might be right JC. I certainly am not into technical stuff. I will leave that to younger and smarter people. I have very limited experience with foam and probably shouldn't have said anything. Everybody that knows me knows how opinionated I am but I've spent a lifetime being this way and even my wife has given up trying to change me!   :)
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I have shot a few of both.  I am on the shrew list and right now, and it will be carbon, foam, uniwelt, and wood veneers under clear glass.  I see no reason not to go with this combo.   The last one I shot like that blew me away with feel, performance, accuracy, ..................
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I got both in multiple brand bows.  It's funny as some I like the design in carbon foam & other I prefer bamboo.  Guess that's why I have a couple different bows  ;)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©