3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm going to need a thicker target...  (Read 116 times)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm going to need a thicker target...
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I just fletched up some Gold Tip 7595s, added a 200 grain field points and shot a few at my block target with my OL Adcock non-acs td longbow 64#@31".  Holy Shmoly.  It went all the way through and 5" of shaft was poking through.  It's a fairly new target, but I thought I might have hit a soft spot.  Next 5 shots, all the same thing.

This is significantly more than I get with AD Hammerheads.  The Hammerheads are a lot thicker, but are heavier, by 100 grains.  I think I'm going to add a 50 grain brass insert and foot them to the correct stiffness.

I've been extremely impressed with the AD Hammerheads.  They shoot well with a variety of headweights, and are tough as all get out.  I've busted bricks and a couple of large stone with them and have yet to damage one.  

I'm wondering how much tougher than they are than the Gold Tips.  Will adding a footing to the GTs put them in the same class as the Hammerheads?  I know I can find out, but I hate to ruin an arrow on purpose.  I guess I could put on a little taste test and offer up a sacrifice for the good of the Tradgang crew.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©