3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Di and Horse's Tail  (Read 894 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Di and Horse's Tail
« on: April 28, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Dianne and I were out at first light but nothing was answering my calls. Did have a button buck walk with 6 steps of me and 10 steps of Di without knowing we were anywhere around. Pretty cool. Anyhow about 9:00 we came in for some eggs and hot tea, after which I headed over to brother Randys to pick up some tools to help our son Brian with some work on his new house. Di went back out hunting. Got home just before 11:00 and Dianne had a story for me. Dianne was calling with one of those little push button yelpers. She saw 4. Was watching one tom (a jake she thinks) and then catches movement over to her left side and there stands "Horse's tail" all puffed up 10-12 yards away. Mind you she was wearing camo but no blind or decoy. Had her recurve on her lap, cedar arrow on the string. Agonizingly slow she tried to lift her bow into shooting position, but "Horse's Tail" was having non of that, let down, alarm putted and walked away back down the hill. She was again dissapointed but excited at the same time. Great morning!   :thumbsup:

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Di and Horse's Tail
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
:archer:  Great day Mickey,just being out there is pleasant,fun and filled with great memories.
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
You Go Dianne!!  Glad you two are having some action and enjoying the season together!
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Dang, Mickey. Wouldn't you love it if she had grounded that rope-bearded Tom. What a trophy!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Awesome pretty cool to have them that close even without a shot.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
WOW!!!! thats what i call a bird . what a cool bird would have been even cooler to get a shot away.  :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Kenny nothing would pease me more. NOTHING! She has certainly earned it.

Dianne has been bow hunting turkeys for 9 years now. Shes been close a bunch of times, has even missed a couple but is never discouraged for long. A few years ago I told her "why don't you take your first with a shotgun" and she said "Nope, I'd rather miss them with my bow than kill one with a gun",. Now that's a dyed in the wool bow huntress ha ha

It'll happen one day   ;)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Good to see ol Horse tail.  That is one crazy beard.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Now I am deeeeeeply humbled/shamed. I took my first of the year with the scattergun on Wed. more because I don't have confidence in my self with the selfbow than anything else. But to hunt for 9 years and not take one is some serious dedication. Dianne   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy: !
You are SUPERLADY in my book!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Kenny I hope you're kidding about feeling shamed. No reason. Anyone who seriously wants to kill a turkey is better off with a scattergun. It is just so hard with a bow...but as Mark Baker sings the more the challenge the greater the reward.

Congrats on your bird 4runr   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Mickey, Tell Di to kill that bird and make sure i get a pic!

Kenny, Don't feel bad as i did the same thing on thursday. I got one under my belt so i'll bowhunt from here on out.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 05:07:00 AM »
Any turkey standing at ten yards will make your blood boil, but to have that rope beard strutting at that distance now that is just excitement squared. If Di works at it enough it will happen sooner or later. Great story!
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
Keep after him Dianne.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Chad you killed one and didn't email me? Shame on you son. Did you find the note I left you?

Nothin yet this morning. Di is back out there now. Pretty morning, very wet outide from yesterdays rain.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Mickey,

Great post!  It's gonna happen for her, I can fel it!

Kenny, now shame required for hunting with a shotgun.  I have never killed a turkey, and am still not confident with my shooting.  Rather than risk a poor shot, I might take my shotgun out this season.  

To harvest a critter like a turkey is a feat no matter the weapon choice.  Congrats!

Lee  :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
NO SHAME< not NOW shame.  I can't type worth a ^&*$#@$!!!.

Lee

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
From the title I thought this thread was gonna be a biography of Di's life with you.  :D

You know I love ya bud!!

Congrats to a fine lady on a great day and attitude.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
LOL Charlie that would have been Di and Horse's Patoot!   :biglaugh:  

Nothing happening today. Di is back in. She heard a couple gobbles long distance but saw zip.

Time to head to Brians house to work.   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Like Charlie, I thought it was going to be the tale of Di and the horse's a$$. Those plunger calls are very effective. Hope she makes meat this year, doin it the hard way, go girl!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©