3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home made bowfishing rigs  (Read 401 times)

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
Home made bowfishing rigs
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
I've done a search but can't seem to find answers to my dilema.
 I'd like to set up the 11 grandkids with bowfishing rigs. Probably going to need 9 total at this time.
We aren't going after the monsters but could end up with some in the 10#+ range where we will be shooting.
 I know the AMS system but with 11 grandkids we're talking a sizeable investment.
 Anyone know of an inexpensive alternative? Please keep in mind these are my grandkids and safety is of utmost importance.
If you have any suggestions, I'd like to see some pics. Prefer to adhere to the KISS method.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Home made bowfishing rigs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
I've seen soda bottles and coffee cans used as spools attached to the front of the bow. there is also a thread on here about using the top of bucket as a shoot through reel. Of course whatever you choose make sure you use a safety slide

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I've seen the soda bottle before and have seriously considered it.
Just noticed the 5 gallon bucket method on here tonight.
Is it possible to use an old open face spincat or baitcast reel with this type setup?
I've got quite a few old Daiwas, AMS, Shakespeare and Shimanos idling around.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
I think you'll have lots of tangles with those sort of reels. Thats why they use zebcos.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
When I was a kid my Dad furnished we kids with baitcasters. I had so many tangle problems that half the time spent fishing ended up untangling line. Soon as I could save enough quarters from shining shoes at the barbershop, first thing that I did was went to Young's Sporting Goods and bought me a brand new open face spin caster.
From there I graduated to baitcaster.
My brothers live in the mountains and call me wormdunker.
Them younger boys like thier fly fishing.
I've never found a Zebco I liked. But I will listen to your advice. This is new to me.
When I was in high school an old friend and I used to shoot carp in the canal outside town. We didn't use reels, just some sort of rubber contrapcion taped to the front of the bow with line wrapped around it. That was 40 yrs ago and I haven't seen anything like it since.
It worked!!
Just trying to find a simple method, CHEAp!!!!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
Use your imagination, I'm sure a length of PVC on the front of the bow would work too....pretty much anything like that. if the bows have a front tap, you can screw them in, if not make a bracket and tape it on.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I've got an AMS and love it however....If I didn't I'd sure look at those shoot through contraptions made of the 5 gallon pails.  I'm sure that would work well.

the chef

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I like the coffee can concept but would be concerned that there is not taper on the front to let the line spool off easier.

Spool reels work well but they are scary. I've already broke an arrow off on hangups on the reel twice. I would hate to see that happen to a kid.

I haven't had a problem since I started checking my line for bad wraps and twists. I'm sure they have a great teacher and will do the same!!
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
you can bend the front of the coffee can and give it a little more taper, but like spools you have to watch what you are doing and dont let the line get behind the can. You can get the shakespear reel at walmart for about $20 or so and get a reel seat and use it. 3 rivers has a strap on gadget adapter that is half the price of their traditional bowfishing mount and it works very well screwing the reel seat into and once you got it tight it doesnt move a bit.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
My first bow reel was  a tin can with string wrapped around. i was constantly trying to keep the line from falling off the reel. I would use a small peice of tape to hold it.  The can was taped to my bow with electrical tape.  Then I found an old screw in model at a garage sale for 5 bucks.  I used that thing for 4 years and then saved up to buy an  AMS.  I have saved so much Money in arrows it paid for the reel ten times over.

I like the pvc Idea.  You could get a tapered end and attach a band with a screw in adaptor for it on the non tapered end and screw it into your (stabalizer) hole on the riser.  Or you could find a way to tape it to the bow.  Make sure there isnt any screws hanging around for the string to accidently catch on.  Snap back is a real phenominon.

Good luck.  You may post on here and see how many people have an old reel laying around for just as cheap.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Shoot through bucket reel.  Cut the top off the bucket leaving the rim in place on either side.

Attach 2 "L" brackets with rivets or nuts and bolts.  I used nuts and bolts so I placed them with the domed head on the outside of the reel and the shank going to the center of the spool.

The "L" brackets should be placed so the hoop is centered around the arrow. Wrap the brackets with electrical tape to prevent scratching limbs.

I haven't done this but a drop of glue would keep the nut from coming off.  Hasn't happened yet but with kids it might be a good idea.

The string holding contraption.  This one is a piece of strapping material but any springy type of material should work.  I curled one end so it would wrap around the rim.  I then heated the other end and melted it through the plastic.  

The first couple of wraps of line will hold it in place.  If it is too tight on the shot just flex it up a tad.

Only tools need is a hacksaw to cut the bucket, screwdriver and a wrench.  If they are old enough get the kids together and make a project out of it.    A reel can be made in 30 minutes or less.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
We used to use the zebco 808's as kids - pretty fool proof, just don't use too heavy a line in case they get excited and forget to click the button.

Like the hoop idea above, but could be prone to operator error with that many little ones. Put any thought into just getting 4-6 good setups and having them trade off? I've rarely seen bowfishing so fast & furious that it'd be an issue - if the kids can learn a lesson in sharing. Also might allow you to keep a little better eye on what they are doing.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Skipmaster1:
Use your imagination, I'm sure a length of PVC on the front of the bow would work too....pretty much anything like that. if the bows have a front tap, you can screw them in, if not make a bracket and tape it on.
I have used this method for my kids.  It works great.   I took a 4" PVC pipe about 10" long.  Cut a slot in it for the riser.  Duct tape the tube on the bow.  Then wrapped the line around the tube like an old fashion spool.

Because the tube is so big and long(ish) the lined stayed on well, came off well, and remained untangled.

Didn't look pretty, but the carp didn't mind.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm getting some good ideas from all of you. I've got a supply of 4" PVC and like the idea. Anyone have any pics to post? would be appreciated. I'm also going to give the 5 gallon bucket a try.

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
I've used PVC before too.  Get an end cap, add a short piece of pipe (6 inches), drill a hole in the center of the cap to run a bolt through, and screw it into your stabilizer hole.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Be sure to use the saftey slides as mentioned previously is a must! I have had a couple of snap backs in the past and been lucky, they can put an eye out in an instant.A good pair of safety glasses for the youngsters might be a great gift until they get used to shooting a fishing arrow.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Bowferd if the bucket idea works for ya and you need buckets let me know, with my business I usually have at least a hundred of them on hand. I'll be doing a job north of Central City in a couble weeks and that is about 35 miles from you. I also have lots of strap material. Dang now I gotta make a couple and see how they work.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
You guys have got my mind working overtime. I'd still like to see more pics. A picture's worth a thousand words.
Some of you have mentioned taper. What would you think of a narrow tappered funnel with just a slight taper toward the front end? Anybody think it would work?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
I don't know that it'll help you out with needing to set up 9 of them but if you can use it I'll send you an old green Bear hand reel.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Here is one I made from 1 1/2 PVC on a old Wing.  Sorry the pic isn't very good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©