3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sad day for elkherder  (Read 524 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
sad day for elkherder
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
well...i have come to the realization that my body is worth more than my hobbies.every time i shoot my trad bows it hurts like hell in the joints of my knuckles.doctor told me to either quit alltogether or lay off and do not shoot very much.i cannot shoot just a little.its impossible to stay tuned up without shooting quite often as you all know.so with a heavy heart and troubled soul i am giving up traditional shooting.i have ran this through my mind over and over a million times and this is the best thing to do.thanks to all of you for being part of a very important part of my life.before i found tradgang i was not a very giving person as far as charities go.never even thought about it much.after seeing all of the brotherhood and charitable events that take place here it opened up a part of me that i had no idea even existed.i thank you all for this.the last trad bow i had is being refinished by whip for st,jude auction.i was planning on bidding but now i think it would just be torture to me to see a trad bow and not be able to shoot more than five arrows at a time without having serious pain.i am proud to know you all,tradgangers are the cream of the crop.top shelf.unless admin has a problem with it i will keep my acct open here and drop by now and then to say howdy.take care my friends.
                            larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Rock Crusher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sad day for elkherder
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
Man that's to bad I can't imagine having to do that!! Have you ever thought about trying a mechanical release? It wouldn't be the same but it might be better than quitting altogether. I have never used one with a traditional bow but I've heard about people that do.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Is there no chance of continuing shooting with a lighter bow?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
lighter bow???
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Its never the end,Just a different path in the traditional forest we call home.If you can't shoot it doesn't mean that you still can't give you knowledge and wisdom to those who are beginning were you did.Once a trad hunter always a trad hunter.You will find a way to still shoot.Take care of yourself and you will shoot again.Tim    :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
I have trouble with my joints and fingers too. I rake vitamin B-6 every day. Really seems to help with pain and stiffness. Don't know if this helps but it's worth a try! Don't give up things tend to work out. Good luck! Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Larry,

I have finger problems too. Don't give up!

I started using a release two years ago. Killed an elk using it.

Call me I will be glad to help you all I can.

404-372-9515 verizon
Keith Karr

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
Larry, I don't know you well, and we have never met in person, but I think I do know you enough to know that traditional archery does mean quite a bit to you.  And I can understand how after hearing that report from the doctor you may be disheartened.  It hurts to hear that you might have to give up something you love.  

But just like in relationships, it is worth fighting to save something you love.  Even if it means that things won't be quite the same as they once were.  

I would encourage you to listen to some of the advice above from people that have experienced what you are going through.  Maybe some of those things can help.  Maybe it means a much lower draw weight.  Dick in Seattle is passionate about this sport even though pysically he is limited to very light bows.  As has been suggested, try a release.  Not a thing wrong with that.

If nothing else, just lay the bow down for awhile and come back to it whenever you are ready.  And in the meantime, stick around here.  These are still your friends, and you don't have to shoot a bow to log on here daily.  You have much to contribute even if you are not shooting on a daily basis.

Good luck, I'm hoping you find an answer that makes you happier than giving it all up.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Larry,you have a lot of friends here that respect you and love you.If you give the proper time your body can recover and you'll be able to come back to the sport.Be perseverant with the theraphies.Good luck.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Larry,

take some rest......research some therapy, and don't be afraid to check out a local health-food store or nutritionalist. There are many ways to help the body heal, or at least improve function and lessen pain----not all RX related.

And don't be afraid to give a lighter bow a try---you dont have to shoot 70#  just because you are a big guy......or to prove you're not a sissy  :readit:  

Head up, man!!!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Larry, check into physical therapy, specificaly one that works with hands, you would be suprised at the relief you can get, good advice from others here as well, have you talked to your doctor about some of the meds for relief of joint pain? I'm on one now that has really changed my comfort level. Good luck I hope some of the options that have been sent your way help you out of this situation Todd

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
First see a different doctor. As said above there may be ways to take care of this problem. Have you considered using a release? When Arvid's arthritis gets bad he uses a thumb tab. Something similar may work for you. There is only no hope when we surrender it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Don't give up yet as stated above research some alternative shooting methods and treatments for your pain.
    You might try a doctor that specializes in sports medicine they sometimes have a different perspective on how passionate someone is about their hobby.

Whatever don't be a stranger here you have much to contribute.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Larry, You are not alone. I've have joint problems in my knuckle joints for several years and its getting worse and have decided on shooting a release. I've had to do this over the years at different times until thing healed enough to go back to my fingers. I don't think I'll be able to go back this time.So I'am going to keep practice with my release. I just hope the next fix for me to keep shooting and hunting is this easy, I'll keep poundage down also, don't need any shouilder surgery   :pray:  

Bob

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Can you say "second opinion"?  

Just kidding sort of, I'd find a dr who understands what traditional archery means to you and get their assistance in doing everything that can be done to keep you shooting as long as you can.

We are pulling and praying for you!!

God bless,Mudd

PS I am sorry you're going through this trial. It can not be easy for you. I can almost feel your pain in your post and its not in your hand this time but your heart.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Just pass on all You know...and enjoy what you show in others ...Take care brother ...Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
What the other folks have said,second opinion,therapy,release aids, lighter bows.....look at "ALL" options...........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Really hate to hear this,don't give up something you enjoy this much until you've tried other options. Good luck and God Bless.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Larry,

I hate to hear that. There are a few thing to research before you drop it if you love it a lot. Bob Morrison stated shooting a release. A nutritionalist may be able to help some to.

If you putting the bows down is what you feel is the right choice be at peace with the decicion.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Hey gang,

Larry and I were chatting in the archery shop last week and he is pretty bummed about the whole deal.  I am sure he will work his way thru it.  I can say that he is a great guy and a lot of fun to shoot with and just hang out with.  

Larry, I am with the other guys here.  Shoot some training wheels with a release and let the hands heal up.  Then look into using a release, or what we discussed.  A leather strap that goes around your wrist with the other end doubles ans stitched and use that as a release instead of a mechanical one.

Either way you can still shoot trad without the drawing fingers even being in the picture.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©