3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Grand Slam" turkeys  (Read 990 times)

Offline benderofwood

• Trad Bowhunter
"Grand Slam" turkeys
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
Has anyone here ever taken the "grand slam" of turkeys with traditional equiptment? if so what year? thanks
Hunt hard waste no meat

Offline beaglesandbucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Grand Slam" turkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »
What year??  You mean..."What life time??"  :smileystooges:  

I've taken one with a shotgun, and one with a muzzleloader.

Working on my traditional bow.  I've taken a Rio.  Missed an Eastern twice this year.

Way I'm going....it will take the rest of my life!!!  :banghead:
When the journey becomes as valuable as the goal........go "traditional."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Actually, JoeBuck just took a Goulds from Mexico for the first traditional "World Slam".  I'll see if I can find the thread and bring it up for you...

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045061

Here's a link. So that would be six different birds, right?

Eastern
Merriams
Rio Grande
Ocseolo (no idea how to spell it)
Gould's
and.....

What's the other one?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Why, CHRISTMAS of course, Steve. I think they are native to Mongolia.   :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Occelated from the Yucatan peninsula gives you the "World Slam".

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
That's it.  So which "slam" did joey get?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Grand is 4
Royal is 5
World is 6

No treadmill here, I am climbing the stairs between threads   ;)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Sorry...Joey got the Royal

Offline Illuminated Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Hey guys can you tell me what kinda turkey this is? Me and my wife took our kids to a Dairy farm for a homeschool feildtrip and they had a little petting section and had this awesome bird in a cage. He was gobbling his head off the whole time we were there. I finally asked the owner what kind of turkey it was and he said a "Royal Plume", I had never heard of such but I wasnt gonna argue with the guy.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
I dunno but that's cool lookin!

Heck I'd buy that thing right out of the cage and shoot him...might even shoot himm IN the cage ha ha..That's the coolest turkey I have ever seen.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Illuminated Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
LOL, it was funny my wife and kids were off petting the calves and goats and all. I was over taking tons of pics of this thing and just staring at it the whole time. As we passed by in the truck on the way out I had to stop and yelp at him a few times. LOL

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Hello Benderofwood, I finished my Grandslam in April of 06 and my Royal Slam this past April 07 with my Homemade Traditional Tackle ( bow and calls). The NWTF registers Slams for Hunters that are members. To my Knowledge ( I have personally called a few bowhunter members) no one else has ever Grand, Royal or World Slamed with traditional equipment( recurve, longbow, selfbow) beside my Grand and recent Royal and registered it with the NWTF. I keep up with several Trad Bowhunters across the states and 4 of them lack the FL or eastern. A sports writer in Jackson MS did a piece on my finished Grand Slam last year and named it my Homemade Bowhunting Grand Slam. Lord willing I am going to try to shoot the "wild peacock" or Ocelated Turkey of MX Jungles next year to finish the world slam however i won't go unless i can find an outfitter that will let me hunt by myself unguided. I have already construted a barelled call that sounds like their mating call so I'm excited about using that because the ocelated turkey can only be called in with mechanical electronic calls. No one has yet come up with a self winded call. i think I have one. But my ole friend Ray H. has got me thinking, there is a 7th bird. The XMas bird. haven't taken that one yet!!!   :)    FTR.. a grand slam does not have to be completed in 1 year or in any order. But birds over certain weight must be weighed on certified scale and beard and spurs over a certain length need to be properly recorded also. All birds must be recorded on a NWTF form and signed by the hunter and a member witness. All bow kills are registered as "B" with no distinction of what kind of bow. I chuckle at that because only us Traditional guys seems to care "what" kind of bow. I'm currently trying to get sponsorship for my Mexico trip from Gene and Barry but no one can pry them out of their turkey blinds. Now those boys kill some BIG easterns! Not like those little Jakes I harass. good luck  Joey Buchanan
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Joey,

Where can we read that article about you?

Careful with those Occelated outfitters; most of them shoot the birds off the roost...I have only read of one guy calling one in and taking it with a compound.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Steve,
  Its in the Butterball News. Page 4.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
I have that issue   :D  

That bird in the cage would look good in my deep fryer!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Joey,

Look forward to hearing about your hopeful Wild Peacock trip at PBS.  Goina bring that call so us mere mortals can hear it?!

Offline James4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 03:45:00 AM »
The turkey in the pen is a Royal palm.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Hey guys, Joey makes it sound like it's not that hard but lemmie tell you. NOBODY works harder at the bird thing than he does.
I've been on several turkey hunts with him and he's a top caller, bowmaker and gameshot. His persistance is what made his slam possible. When the rest of us are back at camp cooking breakfast, Joebuck is still out in the swamps gettin after 'em.
The slate call he made for me accounted for a top ten Osceola last year.
If Joey gives an opinion on turkey huntin with a bow, it comes from practical experience and trial and error. If he gives his opinion on anything else........well.......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline BrianP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Here’s another 30 or so varieties…you’d have to go to the barnyard to shoot them though…not sure what “The Slam” would be called.

Auburn (Light Brown), Beltsville Small White, Bourbon Red, British White, Broad-breasted American Bronze Mammoth (Broad-breasted Bronze), Buff, Cambridge Bronze, Charlevoix, Chestnut, Chocolate, Crimson Dawn, Crollwitzer, Dark Brown, Fawn, French Black, Holland White (White), Lavender, Lilac, Midget White, Narragansett, Nebraskan, Nittany, Norfolk, Black, Nutmeg, Oregon Gray, Red, Royal Palm, Silver Audubon, Slate, Spanish Black, Standard American Bronze Mammoth (Standard Bronze), Wisconsin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©