3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: off the shelf bows  (Read 352 times)

Offline 10point

• Trad Bowhunter
off the shelf bows
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
I have noticed that most Trad Gang members seem to shoot custom bows. The older, vintage off the shelf Bear bows seem popular but I don't hear much about the new ones. I am wondering why pay such a high price for a custom bow if you can buy a quality off the shelf for half the  money???

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: off the shelf bows
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
My first trad bow was a new (09) Bear Grizzly. Really nice entry-level recurve. Great track record and value for money. In fact, if I hadn't found this site and got the bug for other bows, I would still be happily shooting it as my only bow. Still have it and shoot it from time to time.  Got mine from 3Rivers
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
10point,
I shoot a 50# PSE Sequioa and am very satisfied with it. I will however someday get a custom bow when I can aford one. I think for me it's partialy because with a custom you know that someone took the time and care to build it with thier own hands. and partialy because I can get one that is a one of a kind. and also I have shot some at the Archery shop to see the difference and SOME customs are alot smoother.
But once again I am satisfied with the production bow that I have now and am getting more accurate everytime I go out and practice.
I know from experience that my bow will kill an animal just as dead as a custom. Or hit the mark just as center.
Just remember that it is not just the bow, but your arrow and form are key to shooting well.
It's a blast watching your arrow hit the mark reguardless of the bow you used to put the arrow in motion.
This is just one mans opinion.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Some off the shelf bows are very good bang for the buck.  The Hoyt Dorado, Hoyt Gamegetter, Dalaa are all very smooth drawing and good shooting bows.  A good thing about off the shelf bows is that they are more readily available to try out instead of a custom order bow you will not know how it will shoot until you get it.  Also if damaged, part are availble rather easily.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
After you have been at this Trad game a while you may want to own a custom bow. First you MUST learn how to shoot the right way. That can be done with any "entry level" or "off the shelf" bow. In fact... When I was kinda new to trad and had my first $1000 jobbie, a fella with a yard sale recurve beat the pants off me at The Muzzy Shoot...

It's the man behind the bow and matching arrows that does the trick. After you go to some of the 3D shoots and Traditional gatherings the bug may bite and you will start spending more money than you have on stuff.  :rolleyes:  That can be fun too.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
I have custom bows and off the shelf bows,I love my Martin bows.They are sweet shooting bows,and great performers in my opinion.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
First of all, I like high quality. And what I like even better, is when the high quality product is made specially for me, and I know that I've played a part in the making of it by picking the woods and choosing the design.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
I believe one of the major movie studios has a latin motto that translates "art for the sake of art" Custom bows are like that. bocote, bubinga or snakeskin wont make your bow more accurate or faster just better looking, and IMO there is nothing wrong with that. Its no diffferent then owning a gun with a presentation grade stock  or a knife with a ivory handle. If you can afford it, why not( assuming you also set aside a portion of your wealth to give back, ie St Judes)
My 2 bows are bith older factory models, but I do have a display case of fancy knives.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with off the shelf bows.  As mike said above, its mostly the the person holding the bow.  I'm pretty new to this, and I have bought three bows from other tradgangers for a total of about $600.  My sons and I are into archery for few $$$ and have bows that are real shooters.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
After you have been at this Trad game a while you may want to own a custom bow. First you MUST learn how to shoot the right way. That can be done with any "entry level" or "off the shelf" bow. In fact... When I was kinda new to trad and had my first $1000 jobbie, a fella with a yard sale recurve beat the pants off me at The Muzzy Shoot...

It's the man behind the bow and matching arrows that does the trick. After you go to some of the 3D shoots and Traditional gatherings the bug may bite and you will start spending more money than you have on stuff.   :rolleyes:   That can be fun too.

... mike ...
Well said  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Take a look at 3 rivers catalog, off the shelf Bear 1399.99 plus shipping some custom bows aren’t that much......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Bear Montana slight R/D longbow costs $329.00 new and is a bargain. A used one can often be found for half that. Then again, base price on many custom longbows is under $500.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Like a few have said before, some off the rack bows are now as muck as a custom made to your spec bow. That being said what Mike said holds true, its not the bow but the guy behind it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ripstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I have a PSE Blackhawk off the shelf bow.It shoots fine.Will I get a custom made bow?Yes at some point.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
I don't shoot production made bows because the poundage is always measured at a 28" drawlength. I have a 30" drawlength so I want the poundage to be at my drawlength. In other words, I want the bow to fit me and not me having to fit into the bow.

Also, many production made bows start at 40#. I like to shoot bows where the poundage at my 30" drawlength is between 37#-42#. With a production made bow say, 40# @ 28", that would really be 46# at my 30" drawlength.

One last item, most production made recurve bows, the longest length they make is usually 62". I tend to favor 66" recurve bows. With the longer length, I avoid finger pinch. So I spend the extra money on a custom bowyer to get the bow I want.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
The guy behind the bow. So true. If one has a pretty bow, there's more pressure to shoot it well, I'd think. Everyone's looking. That's what the tuning process is about, isn't it. Most every bow surely can be brought up to snuff. Somewhat at least.
I've been a little psyched to get a new bow, been to the websites and sent out some questions. then I just went into the basement to take a few shots with my somewhat drab Chekmate Falcon recurve and I'm drilling the bull!(for this session at least). What to do? -  I had plans to spend some money I don't have. Will have a custom at some time though. Sooner than later.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
What Night Wing Said. I too have a 30" draw and custom bows just fit better when made too my specs. Kinda like custom flyrods over production
flyrods, they feel better.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I don't mean to offend any Bear fans, but I really think the quality of the current Bear bows is very poor compared to yesteryear's and the price is a bit much for the lack of quality.  You can get a custom bow for what the mid-range Bear bows are being sold for and that custom will be a lot prettier.  $1,400 for a Fred Bear Takedown supreme - sorry I just don't get it.  That being said, it still boils down to how well you can shoot a bow and I'm sure that for the majority of shooters, they would shoot a Bear just as well as some other custom.  But if you have $500 to spend on either a Bear or a much prettier custom, and you shoot both equally well, why wouldn't you choose the custom?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by off the shelf bows.
 Basically every bowyer that I have researched has at some time posted "Bows in Stock".
 In my opinion that is not a custom bow, although most of this particular bowyers bows are special order Custom Bows.
 I'm also not a fan of the New bows available from Wallyworld, Cabellas, and other retail giants across the country. But I also believe they serve a purpose.
 My custom bows hanging on the rack were originally purchased by someone else.
 I guess you could say mine are all shelf bows.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
I've owned several customs,but I'm currently shooting a Hoyt Dorado riser with Tradtech limbs and it shoots just as well if not better than any of the customs I've had.

In fact,other than after markets limbs on my two take downs,all my bows are now off the shelf production bows.

I personaly don't see much value in pretty bows,or bows with really flashy finishes an such.

Plus a big one for me,most so called customs don't seem any more "custom" to me than the average "custom" Harley.

Their all just the standard model,,,with different levels of finish,,,stuff like different veners or checkering and inlays are just bling,,,their higly personalised,but their not custom.

Just like you buy the standard car,,,or you buy the one with stupid wheels an a few tacky decals ect,,,,it's still the same car,,,just has some extra fruit for those that need it.

To each his own,but don't BS me about your custom bow when I can buy an identical one myself.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©