3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: This years turkey challange..."Ghillie up"! (video up with finished product P.4)  (Read 998 times)

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Most bulap, jute or other Ghillie material that you purchase has been treated with a fire retardant chemical.  Factor in the burlap smell, and it can be a dead give-away in the woods.  Be cautious when washing you Ghillie suit, you do not want to put it into a washing machine.  This will give you one big burlap knot.  Instead, fill a slop sink, tub, or anything else big enough to hold it.  Add scent eliminator clothing wash, and and water, then let it soak, do not agitate the water.  Repeat with clean water several times.  Set up several towels outside, and spread it out, like it's a fine sweater, to dry.  Place a few rocks on it if it's a windy day.  Then you can add whatever scent you want to it, like I posted previously.
You can use baking soda and water as well, but for the first time, I would recommend the scent eliminator wash.  Good Luck, great job Curt.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt, that is awesome.  I know you are a big fan of the string tracker, are you gonna use that with the suite and bow blind?

From the video, the SS looks like it may be one too many things to deal with.  What you thinking?

And thanks for sharing the videos.  It's the video that shows the genius of the bow blind!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great job on the suit ,the bow blind,and the video. glen

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks fellas     :notworthy:  

Yes, I without a doubt, plan to use my string tracker!!

"Tweaked" a bit today....I cut the brim of the hat a little shorter on the sides and front. I've been shooting fine with it the other way, But didn't like rubbing against it with my draw hand a full draw....so trimmed it a bit...

I also added some camo tape to the backside of the bow blind so it wouldn't be as "seethru"...something Joey mentioned to me....I listen to Joey    :notworthy:  

Other than that, I'm shooting real well with it on and I hope to put it to the test this weekend on a 'chuck....we'll see.....

Other than that, something I've been thinking about...

I wonder if a guy could get away with a real short ghillie ?  Like something that just comes to mid-chest , still the same sleeves I have, the long hat, ghillie'd bow, and bow blind????

Just thinking out loud...I kinda like to minimize this outfit....thoughts?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome job Curt
I have been thinking about building a shoot through bow blind. I had seen one years ago that screwed into the stabalizer hole, but I'm thinking of one that mounts to the quiver. It was made out of the camo blind material with the slits cut in it, some sort of cotton I believe. Just put a 4"x6" hole in it to see through and let the arrow clear. with a wire frame you could make it as big or small as needed and once the bow is up there will be little or no movement seen from in front.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
yeah, thats exactly what I'm talking about! The original one I saw was mounted on an umbrella so it could open or close....maybe I'll try one of each

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Guru, how ya shooting with new blind? i know i have to "tune up" every morning with the shoot through method because of perception issue but have you noticed any difference with your Half Cut?

Skipmaster..you might be thinking about the Bow Sniper made by Curt Kitchens from tupelo, ms..He does not make them anymore. i had one long time ago but like most my things i buy "New", i tear them down to Fix and end up breaking mine.  i was trying to mount the panel of a Double Bull blind on the Umbrella hub.  :rolleyes:
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Again this is really cool and I love that bow blind. I think that it even got better now that Joe chimed in.  I was thinking of using chicken wire for the mesh on my bow blind.

Question for Joe or Curt, to me it doesn't seem that important to camo the bow itself w/tape.  Since Timex has the skins on it, that seems like enough.  

But...what do I know?  Thoughts?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
I always hated the hood on my Shaggie.. This thread and seeing Terry's homemade ghillie hat inspired me to make my own today.. All told about a half hour of work and it turned out very well..

GREAT job Curt!!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Joey, Shohotin' just fine bud. The half blind doesn't throw me "off" at all. Just a little "heavy" feeelin' on that side. Feels like having an extra full quiver load of arrows.  I really like it!
Thanx for the inspiration     :notworthy:  

l-m-g,  Timex does have copperhead skins, but the finish(done by me, not Jack) is in real bad shape and has really "whited out" badly in several spots. Some glare there as well. With the cloth camo bow tape, both problems solved!!

Takes about 5 minutes to put on...just stick in on and run a sharp razor blade up both sides to trim and wa-la!

John, Pretty amazing how easy it is to make something like this...the possibilities are endless really.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
Great job as usual Curt. I've been following this since the first post.

New ghillies, even though they're shaggy have a crisp look to them. Hang it outside in the weather till you're ready to use it & let it "rat up" a little & you'll really disappear.

Congrats on some great craftsmanship & good luck May 1.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt

Your ingenuity in incorporating that bow blind is inspiring. Now I just have to figure out some modifications to do the same thing on a Hill without a bow quiver. Shouldn't be too tough.
Molon labe

Offline Yelloweye

• Trad Bowhunter
I was just thinking about making a bow cover with the left over material from my ghillie kit. Never considered a glove. Going to get started on both right now.  I made my hat the same because I did not like the hood. I think the burlap strips also add more of a 3-D affect to the whole suit. Thanks for the ideas, GOOD stuff. Next week is the turkey opener here in Pa. I’ll be ready…..

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
To cool !! You make one mean lookin bush  :)  

Great stuff !!

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Joebuck how about a picture of your camo shield the guys might be interested in a different mousetrap
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt } >>--->   

Offline timmy c

• Trad Bowhunter
curt looks awesome great job bud

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt, nice suit and I love that arrow attachment that hides your draw.  I thought I would mention that in the new TBM Jeff Lander has some camo tape that has the leafy material.  Just food for thought.  I'm going to build one this week.  Thanks Curt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©