3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GlenDel Buck Target or Block Target ???  (Read 502 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
GlenDel Buck Target or Block Target ???
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
I am seriously contemplating buying one of these targets. If anyone here has any experience with them at all........PLEASE let me know what you think about the quality and ability to take a lot of arrows. There are two sizes that I am interested in......the big one, and the next size down, both with replacable inserts.

In your opinions.......should I just get a "block" style target.......or the animal target ???

Thank-You........in advance

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GlenDel Buck Target or Block Target ???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I had the big one, it took over two years of punishment! In my opinion there a very good target!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Stay away from the glendel, the bar inside has ruined many of my buddys arrows,plus they shoot out rather quickly and that is just with field points, seriously look into the r&w targets which we have now, better than the glendel or delta, not as expensive as the mckenzie

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Tough to beat the block.  They last an extremely long time with just field points.  Bass pro has a knock off that is a little cheaper.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
i would go with the rhinehart buck target over the glendale buck target.  i agree with sleepyhollow about the metal bar below the insert. i bought a glendale last year, and i shoot a lot.  i am on the second insert, but i have shot out the space below the insert in the pocket right behind the front leg.  This exposes the metal bar and WILL cause a carbon arrow to shatter. (i know from personal experience). The block would be the better buy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
rastaman is right, broke a woodie on mine. Overall its seems better to shoot at a deer than a block, if that helps.
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I have a glendale 3d and i have to say its not what i expected
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
I have the glendel 3D and it has served me fine for roughy 5 years.  In the 5 years I have replaced the insert once then a few months ago I just filled it with great stuff and its holding up fine.

I never have a problem breaking arrows on it...I try to keep the shots into the vitals not the legs hehe.

The only thing hard to swallow ont he RH is the price...them things are expensive but phenominal targets.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I have the big Block (4'X4'). I have been shooting it for 6 or 7 years now. I would venture to guess that not too many people shoot more arrows than I do, and mine is still going strong.

It is getting a few soft spots, and I don't shoot broadheads into it.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
The blocks are a good choice. I have shot them for a couple of years. I just bought the 18 to 1  and it's taken a couple of hundred arrows both BH and FP and still looks new.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
i just got my glendale full rut today! From my understanding the insert is the same inside as the block target (Made by same company)  also the insert has four sided shooting with off set vitals where as the block only has 2 (depending on the modle)  all 3d targets have metal in them if hit in the wrong place can do damage.  Not sure how long the glendale will last but i would think it would hold up well.  I also have a block that i shot before making the seeing the light and switching to trad shooting held up very well although broadheads tore it up pretty good still stood up well. I like shooting at a deer so i would go with the glendale.  I will add that i didnt pay full price if i did i would go with a rhinehart for sure best 3d target i ever shot holes self seeling and they take a beating

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I have the large glendel,it hasn't held up well.
I will not buy another one.My block has held up very well.

Leland

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I'm going to go with the guys who said to get a rinehart on this one.  Seriously, my uncle and I have shot up a lot of targets and the rineharts will take waaay more punishment than the others.  Other targets just don't hold up as well as they should for the price you pay.  If you do insist on one of the other targets though get either the block or the bass pro brand nock off.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
I have gone through two block 4x4s in 3 years. I am not buying another. The debris that you have to pick up is a nuisance. The layered foam comes apart and, if I'm not careful, will be all over my ranch!  

I have been making bag targets now and stuffing them with plastic until I can decide on another brand. I have heard good things about the mackenzie(spelling?), We are going to try them next.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline mallard_drake85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
My girlfriend knew that my brother and I were needing a new archery target and purched us a glendel polyfusion 4 sided target. I haven't taken a shot at it yet but when we opened the box, she was completely disgruntled at it size and appearance and even asked if it would hold up to the amount of shooting that my bro and I do. Our block target lasted >3 years with both my brother and I shooting lots of arrows at it...the spots have become shoot through, however we just modify the spots to allow us to get longer life out of our target.
Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed!!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
I purchased a glendale a few years back. Will not do that again. I don't bring my targets in when it rains. Have found that my arrows would go right through when the insert was wet. foam around the small insert is very hard. Difficult to pull arrows from. It would be nice to never miss the insert, but I like to shoot arrows from long distance as well as close. Tried moving it around a bit, but shortly broke the head off.
Pure garbage in my opinion.
I own roughly 60+ 3d targets and have found that the rineharts hold up the best and have the easiest arrow removal. The smaller deer target only runs about $179 too. Very afordable and will outlast any of the others.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
I'll 2nd the RW company. They make a big buck and it's a great long lasting target. I first shot them at Denton Hill. They are well worth the money.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
If you go with the block you can put a cardboard cut of a deer or whatever animal on it.

If A. S. can shoot for 6yrs and not have it wear out they are good. I have heard he shoots a LOT.

Tim

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
You might want to look at the Rinehart RhinoBlock and Rhino Brute targets.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 02:52:00 AM »
A large block has served me well for over three years.  I shoot broadheads in on side and turn it to shoot field points and still has a fair amount of remaining life.

Broadheads will cut up the foam, and make a mess if you shoot it much. So, I bought a Yellowjacket broadhead target thinking it would work better, and save the block for field points. The YJ is made from heavy black foam. I think they laminate several layers together and cover it with the plastic cover (hence the name). However, it didn't take long before it started eating broadheads and inserts. It will pull inserts out of carbons unless you use epoxy to glue them in. Stuff like ferral tite or other glue is not strong enough. Also, forget about shooting field points into the Y.J. because it will wear-u-out pulling arrows. The retailer suggested selling it on c....list and buying another Block, but I am going to clean out the shafts and epoxy in the insert and give it another try. It is extremely difficult digging broadheads out of this target. Never had any problem with the Block.  

After reading an article on building a target, I bought a few large heavy burlap sacks at the Feed and Garden store and plan to fill them with plastic (visqueen & plastic bags). I'll use two sacks for one bag then rope stitch the top.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©