3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Amazed by the old Bears  (Read 499 times)

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Amazed by the old Bears
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I am fortunate to have owned or shot a lot of the high dollar bows and I appreciate them, but I have recently picked up a couple of old Bears and they are amazing me.  I picked up a 1973 Super Kodiak from a TradGanger,60 inch, 50# @ 28 and my brother gave me a 1960 Kodiak, 64 inch, 41# @ 28.  

The Super Kodiak is in great condition and I shoot 29 1/4 inch 1916s with 145 grain heads.  the Kodiak had a few holes in it so I had Whip fix it up for me.  It is now a beauty and I shoot 29 1/4 inch 1816s with 125 grain heads out of it.

As I said, I really like and appreciate my custom bows, but both of these bows shoot very accurately and consistently for me.  I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with either one although 41# concerns me some.  I get 5 doe tags for the area I hunt and I think I am going to have to do a retro hunt this late season.

D.P.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Amazed by the old Bears
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

They're good, for sure. A hunt with an old Bear is on my agenda, too.

:archer2:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
There was a thread a while back about improvements in recurves compared to "the old days". I don't think there has been much gained since about 1959. Maybe a few feet per second and maybe some better custom woods and finishes, but for good ol' hunting...

I have been carrying a 1959 Kodiak 42# to my turkey blind with some Forgewoods and Bear Razorheads.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Dave, You are right on! Great observation and it amazes me too how well the classic Bear bows shoot.

I picked up a 1964 Bear Grizzly and it is a real hammer.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
I have a mid 70's Grizzly 45# @ 28" 58" long. It's a great bow I have newer bows of the same weight that out perform it but that don't matter. That old Bear is just nice to shoot and just loves a cedar arrow......been thinking about a retro hunt myself, maybe this is the year!! That bow was my mothers uncle's and he wanted me to have it before he passed on.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I have several customs also and enjoy shooting them but today I was shooting my 1970 Bear Takedown and came to the conclusion I shoot it the best and like to shoot it the most with the Super Kodiak of the same year a close second. It's not the fastest but it's whisper quiet and there's not enough o's in smooth to describe how it shoots.

Offline Ed Neudorf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
My first and so far only trad bow is a Bear Grizzly, of mid-60's vintage I believe. I got started in trad because I like the idea of taking a bow with lots of history behind it and going hunting with it. It shoots great as far as I can tell, though of course I have no other bows to compare it to.

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I have 2 K Mags 65'& 69' 58# and 47# and just bought a 73'Kodiak Hunter @41# for rehab from my hand surgery.  Those are the only glass backed bows I shoot.  Love the old bears.....
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I have a 58" 50lb@28 Bear "Brown Bear Hunter" hanging on the wall behind me.

I could brace that bow up an be shooting it as good as any of my other bows in minites,because it's just a plain old good shootin bow .

Not much has really changed in a lot of years now and if archers just bought what worked the one time,not many of us would have more than one bow,,,an most of those would be old by todays standards.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Fishycatfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I just ordered a Kodiak hunter #50 @ 28 and 62" and I can't wait to get it in.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I love my 1966 Bear's. Here is a couple deer I took with my 66 Grizzly. Tommorrow it's off to a 3-D shoot with my 66 K Mag.  

" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Couldnt agree more Dave.My 64 inch 59er shot terrific in every way.If I had more money I would still have it.I suspect your 64 inch 1960 version is very similar

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Oldies but goodies.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Slewfoot62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Hey guys I think old Fred was definitely on to something back in the day. I've become obsessed with the old Bears and been collecting them for almost 2 years. Bought 6 so far my favorite is my 66 Kodiak that bow and I have become one.Must stop buying bows for a while its making me work odd jobs and other strange things!!.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
You can make them real pretty and fancy, but in the end they are all just a stick and string.  Nothing wrong with a custom bow, but physics will only make that arrow go so fast.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:00 AM »
Like many others here I own quite a few great customs but the old Bear bows have a different and pleasant feeling.They are accurate,forgiving and quiet.I really enjoy to shoot them.My favourites are the TD and the Super Kodiak,but the Kodiak, Kodiak Magnum and Grizzly are great shooters as well.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Super Kodiak is on my short list of must have.I have shot them ,but haven't found the right one for me yet. I would love to have a 45 #er.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
I have 11 bows on the wall,but 90% of the time I grab my 71 Kodiak..It has a "special" feel or something...Not sure exactly,but  something..    :confused:    

Whatever it is...It has it..

:archer2:  

Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Santiam, no strike plate?? That bow looks like it's in great shape!!! Good pic....
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
I can't get enough of the old bears. I think last count I have about 40 dating from 1952 to the newest 1970 Super-K. I've been shooting a 59 Alaskan now for awhile and love it. It's 62" 45#. I don't own any customs cause all my money goes for old bears. Still looking for the 59 kodiak I can aford. Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©