3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Amazed by the old Bears  (Read 498 times)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Amazed by the old Bears
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Before I redone my old grizzly I wrote down the sereal number onto a piece of paper and laid it on the table next to the computer, my wife was cleaning up and thought it was trash and tossed it, I have no idea what year mine is but love it anyway.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Dave,

I have a nice 62' Kodiak that will be headed out tomorrow for what hopefully will be a slam dunk Turkey hunt  :)  This bow is amazingly quick and is very smooth on the draw! Have fun with them  :)

Kevin
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
I too have a few old Bears and wouldn't think of parting with them.  Took my first archery deer with a 42# grizzly 36 years ago.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I wish that I had two Bears back.  The last one a 45# Super Kodiak.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline carlo1404

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Hi friend,
I have 7 old Bear Bows and use the most recent, one 1973 Kodiak Hunter 50#, for fishing trouts in my country..
Bye from Italy
Carlo
1974 Bear T/D Mag A + 2016 #3 42#
2005 Bear T/D Two tone A + RER #2 58" 40#
2010 Blacktail Elite VL 60" 43# Myrtyle
2010 Wes Wallace The Partner 62" 46#
2012 Hoyt Buffalo 62" 40#
2015 LB T.Previdi Taipan 64" 45#
Early '70 N.8 Bear Bows

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I shot a Bear Takedown Hunter for 17 years.  It was the firts bow I owned.  I really liked that bow.  I shot very well with it.

I was amazed that at full draw at 73ish lbs. the riser broke in half in my palm.  I was also amazed that I was not hurt as bad as I could have been.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Tough deal Richie. Everything has a lifespan. I've been shooting one of my TDs for thirty years at + or - 70lbs. Been lucky I guess. GY

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I have a 59 grizzly and a 59 kodiak that will keep up with any custom bow i have.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
In my small collection of bows there are two old Bear recurves, both liberated years ago from pawnshops, and I shoot them all the time. I mean this as a compliment, and you shotgun shooters will understand, but I think of my old Bears in the same way as my 12 and 20 Remington 870s ... common, well-engineered, dependable, proven to get the job done. Shot my first deer with one of them …      :thumbsup:

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Dave,
My son and I each have a 1960's era Grayling factory bow for one reason..... We will take Fred hunting with us several times during the season for the memory of what Fred did with his life and what he did for trad archery. A special feeling sitting a tree with Fred in your hand and a woodie on the string. They are fine bows indeed and I am amazed at how well a 40yr old bow still looks and shoots. We will keep these two during our lifetime and take Fred huntin each season a time or two.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Great information on this thread. I have been curious about older Bear bows, having never shot one I didn't know if people liked them because it was Fred Bear's product or if they were good shooters. The answer is pretty obvious from the responses here.

I really like my old Ben Pearson Hunter 709 42#@28 (1966 I think) and am wondering if it would compare to the Bears of the same vintage. I have been curious about the zebrawood Tigercats, I just bought a bow recently so I don't think I will be in the market for awhile but it's fun to look.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
I am enjoying this thread.  It has definitely made me realize I have to do the retro hunt.

Dave

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Planning a "retro" hunt with my Bear Kodiak Hunter, green 70's type, with 2016 and razorheads, bow is 43@28, about 50@31, smooothh.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
Wouldn't trade my old Bear bows for any other ! I have 2 Kodiak Hunters, 2 Kodiak Magnums and 1 Takedown Hunter.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
At the moment all I own is old bear bows (aside from a Bear Truth II wheelie).  Will hunt turkey this year with a '59 Grizzly.  Will switch to a '60 Grizzly for deer.  I am considering trying an old Browning though too.  I hear they are great shooters as well.  I had an opportunity to shoot one Browning, and it was very nice.  Part of the enjoyment to me is using an older bow.  

One day I will have a custom bow though too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Maybe A CLASSIC bow shoot somewhere ??? It would be cool to see all the bows from "time Past" !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
TTT for Mr. Pagel and Mr. Fred Bear.

nocams  :notworthy:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I love the Kodiak Hunters. I have three Green early 70's and a right and lefty 50# 70 model. They are both pretty cherry, There is something special about the 70's Hunters. Here is a pic from Dec 09. 9 1/2 weeks after quad bypass surgery.  It was pretty SWEET!

When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I have a modest handfull of older bear bows.I havent used them for hunting yet but I surely will.Some days I will take each one and shoot some arrows.They bring me much enjoyment. Glen

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
A little tendinitis in my left elbow has me off  longbows for the forseeable future. Took out my green stripe Bear takedown last week...I keep forgetting what a pleasure that thing is to shoot. Arrows go where I look and there's no handshock to rock my creaky elbow.. Rich Lopez is refinishing my '68 Super Kodiak...should have it late June....gonna hunt with one of them this year for sure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©